13 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:06 PM

I have been busy looking at the 12 for the past few days and trying to get her going. After tearing into it and cleaning up the transmission and checking it over I made it to the engine. I did all the checks on the electrical system according to the info available here on the site and its a no go situation. I took the ssi module off and it looks like its toast as its burnt and cracked on the back side next to the kill wire. The switch according to what the wiring diagram shows is not original to the machine and I think it put power to the module and killed it. I think it might just be a candidate for a heart transplant as I am not all that fond of Tecumseh engines anyway. I think it may just end up with a K321 Kohler in her instead. For now though it will find a corner of the garage till later in the year till I find her a new heart.

The 7 on the other hand after throwing a battery in her tonite turns over with spark eagerly. My buddy was running it but the drive belt broke and it needs a new one. Only other problem I can see is that there appears to be no governor spring on it. Might just be a nice little tractor to mow around my yard with for a few weeks till I decide to part with it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:44 PM

You may find yourself very attached to that 7. They are pretty nimble machines and many have found them dependable close trimmers.

As for the 12, if it has compression, consider an Ed Stoller conversion to the SSI. It would keep it close to original, and keep that Kohler in your pocket for a GT with no engine at all.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:38 PM

I can't get into the Masseys due to the Techumsehs lol. I got one pretty cheap at the scrap yard a couple months back, an MF12H. All It needed was some tinkering to get it running, and I didn't even do that much cause it was a Techumseh. I instead sold it for about the cost of saving it. Put a great big smile on the poster above's face, right Alan? lol

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 11:33 PM

A Tecumseh HH is just as reliable as any Kohler

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 12:44 AM

I didn't say I hated Techumsehs, just said if given a choice between Techumseh and Kohler, I'd take the Kohler. It's all about preferences, and it makes the hobby. If everyone wanted the same tractor brand, we wouldn't be able to afford them, even if we wanted them.

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 05:48 AM

I have a Tecumseh on my MF10 and 10 & 12 hp Kohlers on the Fords......They all run equally well power wise etc....But, all this talk of bad SSIs scares me and I expect it to conk out at any time........So....CUT IT OUT.....lol

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 08:38 AM

I have a Tecumseh on my MF10 and 10 & 12 hp Kohlers on the Fords......They all run equally well power wise etc....But, all this talk of bad SSIs scares me and I expect it to conk out at any time........So....CUT IT OUT.....lol

The SSI scare was why I never tried to get the scrap massey I had... running. I mentioned I was going to try to make it run and the next think I heard was, "be careful of the SSI".

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 05:25 PM

I don't have any particular hatred of Tecumseh's, I'm just not fond of them. I have owned and worked on my share of them, but I would just rather have the Kohler. The SSI problems are the major reasons that I am going away from the Tecumseh. Since OEM parts are hard to be had and they appear from most info I see to be cantankerous with the ignition system I would rather drop in the Kohler. That way it has points that I can put a good old fashion coil on and if I wanted to go even further it could have electronic ignition if I wanted. Plus I have more experience with them and a lot of parts in the cabinet if things go wrong.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 09:12 AM

The SSI conversion is pretty easy, and solves the problem for good... with a good old fashioned external coil.

I would rather a Kohler too, truth be told!

#10 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Well I got a little time in on the 7 this week and it is frustrating me now as well. When I first went to start it there was an intermittent spark issue. I decided to take the flywheel off to see if the connections were all good or if there was a bare wire or whatnot. The troubles started trying to get the flywheel off. I got my puller on and tightened it down and gave it a good smack with my hammer and instead of loosening the flywheel it split the end of the crankshaft into two pieces like a banana. It's an interesting crank to say the least as after I cot the bad material cut off and rethreaded the end I thought I would try to put a new centering mark on the end of the crank figuring it would be foolhearty. Boy was I wrong! It centerpunched the thing like it was a piece of soft steel! Never in my life would I have dreamed this possible with a hardened piece of material like a crankshaft. After fixing that issue and putting the nut back on I got the flywheel off.

After some checks and rerouting the wires which were dangerously close to the flywheel on the wrong side of the tinwork I had a good solid consistent spark. So I throw it all back together and give her a crank and it tried to fire but wouldn't kick over right and it was backfiring thru the carb. So I took the carb off and removed the breather and low and behold the keeper on the intake valve spring is broke in two and half is laying inside the breather assembly. So it looks like some parts are in need before I go to much fruther there.

On a better note, I have an uncle that has been into mowers for years that thinks he has a 12hp in his shed that was retired due to a ventilated block, so I might have a working SSI coming. Have to wait and see on that though.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Is that the original Tecumseh H70 , in the MF7?

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Is that the original Tecumseh H70 , in the MF7?

As far as I am aware it is. The spec # on it is 130076A.

#13 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 05:39 AM

I'm not sure but that may be a replacement engine. Because the serial # ends with an A. Maybe some one with more knowledge than I will chime in and clarify.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 06:08 AM

On my 8 I had an aluminium tag on the block with a strange serial number. This turned out to be a short block serial number. I think it started with SB. According to the MF8 parts manual the service engine part number has a 1 in front of it. For the short block the engine description in both cases has a A on the end of the spec number (HM80-155056A for the service engine). It could be that your tractor had a short block replacement at some point. That can be a good thing as the replacement block may not have that many hours on it. In my case I don't think the replacement block was an MF part. It was painted black and I think an MF block would have been grey. If you have access to a 7 parts manual you can check that spec number to see for sure.