• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 1,263 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 01:20 AM

I have some trails I want to clear out, but no way to efficiently remove the small brushy crap...

The trails I want to clear/reopen, are full of 1-4" poplars, raspberry canes and weeds...

Also a bunch of ruts and holes, so I want to level it out...

I'm too lazy to clear this stuff by hand. I'd rather push the big stuff (woody brush) out of the way and disk the snot out of the trail to chew up the grass... I won't be trying to bulldoze anything bigger than 2" I'll get the saw out for that.

I've seen a guy running a ford lgt145 with a loader doing a job close to what I want to do... the name isavetractors comes to mind, dunno though...

Anyone have better ideas? Renting a dozer is out of the question...
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,446 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 01:48 AM

Don't know what tractor you have or how you are willing to abuse it. I went through 1 1/4" bull pine with my John Deere 112. The front end pushed them over, the deck mulched them. Not saying this is a good idea. I have a spare deck. I was surprised I didn't lose any tires to the stumps. The machine did the job with no obvious damage. At the time I felt I needed fire breaks as quickly as possible.  Don

• Alc, boyscout862, old coot and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 1,263 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 02:08 AM

Don't know what tractor you have or how you are willing to abuse it. I went through 1 1/4" bull pine with my John Deere 112. The front end pushed them over, the deck mulched them. Not saying this is a good idea. I have a spare deck. I was surprised I didn't lose any tires to the stumps. The machine did the job with no obvious damage. At the time I felt I needed fire breaks as quickly as possible. Don

I have a massey 12 hydro...

I might have a 14 at my disposal...both require a repower or rebuild though.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,551 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 07:12 AM

You would be better off with a brush cutter or Mott mower type deal......

016.JPG

As for leveling, you would need a pretty heavy duty blade to do ground work, much harder on it than plowing snow. 

• DH1, Alc, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 07:23 AM

That's going to be very hard on the machine. You will want to take it slow.
  • boyscout862, old coot, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,138 Thanks
  • 8,868 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 07:44 AM

IMO anything bigger than 1/2" is abusing the GT. I've used a full size Ford farm tractor with FEL to clear trails when getting firewood. The small trees bend over and then do damage when you drive over them(which I can't see until its too late). For the first pass you are best off cutting it all by hand. If you cut flush and chip the brush, you can spread the chips to help the stumps to decompose. If not, try a mouldboard plow to loosen the soil and pull stumps. When everything is loose and there is no stumps, you can regrade it all. For regrading you will find a midmount grader blade does a nicer job. When it is all graded, drag a piece of chain link fence over it for final smoothing. Seed it, roll it and then maintenance will be mowing several time per year. Getting something into shape is alot more work than just properly maintaining it. Good Luck, Rick

• old coot, holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 892 Thanks
  • 479 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like you need a skid steer loader

• Sawdust, old coot, holdenboy1960 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 08:09 AM

If I were trying to do what you are saying. Anything bigger than a half inch I would knock off with a saw. Then come thru with the tractor and blade to pile up the brush. You could probably take out much bigger stuff with your tractor, but that extra oomph that will be needed is going to add a lot of wear to the tractor. I found out when I tried to overwork mine, it did Not like it at all. Gives pieces.....
  • boyscout862, Sawdust, old coot and 2 others have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,491 Thanks
  • 7,845 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 08:13 AM

Rent old Ford and Bush-hog and go thru with that first.  I don't see any GT doing much stump or dirt pushing. As noted, can rent Skid-loaders too, but after the bush-hogging.

• boyscout862, old coot, holdenboy1960 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 08:29 AM

I think you need to consider the blade itself more than anything.  A lot of the GT blades are made for moving snow and not much else.  I used to clear paths with my little Satoh Beaver (affectionately known as the Beav) and a 5 foot rear blade.  The blade is heavy enough not to get damaged but I still had to be careful.  Any tractor will do anything you want IF you take your time.  Gt's are pretty light so I hope you are in no hurry.  If you have access to a larger machine for the initial pass, that would be the best thing you could do.  Then you can just have some fun seat time cleaning up.  I'm in the process of doing the same thing right now.  I'm using my Massey SCUT and highlift to get through the brush.  It's ok for most things but I still have to go slow and use the saw so you're not going to get away from that.  My advice, consider your equipment and move accordingly.  You would be surprised at how much ground you can cover but just going slow and methodically.  Good luck and have fun!

• shorty, boyscout862, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,106 Thanks
  • 6,220 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 09:09 AM

Bigger equipment meant for the job or get over the lazynes.  Get the chain saw out and have at it.   Might do yourself and your GT some good.

• grnspot110, boyscout862, Sawdust and 4 others have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,357 Thanks
  • 44,907 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 09:12 AM

Gonna need something strong enough for all the roots you'll be pulling up.

• boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 09:43 AM

Not a job for a Gt. If you can't rent something larger or borrow something it's time to take some manual action. I've cleaned off trails, fields & yards over the years to have more access or use of my property. I've crawled on the ground with a chain saw, swung a bar sythe, used a mattock, weed eater & whatever else it took to get the job done. Once you get the big stuff out use your Gt for clean up. It's hard work but very rewarding.
  • boyscout862, holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#14 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 1,263 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Sounds like you need a skid steer loader

I have one, but it's my dads, he's Usually too busy for a job like this...

It has a manure fork/grapple combination, which is the cats a...backside for work like this. I'd rather not take it into the bush and get it stuck or roll it over.

It sounds like what I'm going to do, is cut all the brushy crap, then pile it where I can burn it.

Thanks guys
  • boyscout862, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#15 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 1,263 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 10:17 AM

Bigger equipment meant for the job or get over the lazynes. Get the chain saw out and have at it. Might do yourself and your GT some good.

Ya, I'm over it, I'd rather not beat up the tractor on a job like this. My dad has some kind of weed eater with a saw blade on it, for jobs like this.
  • boyscout862, Jazz, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks