• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 11:25 AM

My wife wore her standard stove top pressure cooker out last year. I replaced the gasket a few times but last year the handles are bad...not safe any more. She's been looking at the new electric type & likes the Instant Pot mid range model from Amazon around $100. Has anyone used these before & what brand are you using. Last year towards the end of the harvest season things got a little shaky so she used her water bath canner for the last crop of beans...takes way too long. I showed her the pic in the jokes thread about the pressure cooker blowing up & destroying the stove & ceiling. Even though she cans mostly on the back porch on our propane two burner camp stove she said that could have been us last year.lol
  • KennyP, boyscout862, Jazz and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,136 Thanks
  • 8,864 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 11:55 AM

Not familiar with the electric pressure cookers but it sure seems like electric heating elements don't last very long these days. Good Luck, Rick

• Sawdust and karel have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,102 Thanks
  • 6,217 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 11:58 AM

Have a pressure cooker we use for horse radish only out of necessity.   Everything else is hot water bath.  Not slow at all.  Done outside side or in the open shop with the turkey fryer burner.  I can be doing other things while it gets hot again and then the 5 min bath.  To me electric is to slow to get hot and hard to maintain the right temperature without getting to hot.   Like anything else, got to watch what your doing.  Just my opinion.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,180 Thanks
  • 1,347 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 12:08 PM

I have no experience with electric pressure cooker. We have a Presto #6 pressure cooker which is ancient and parts still available. I learned early on the pressure cooker is a perfect still by fastening a condenser line to top.

The BLOW PLUG is the safety feature which will pop instead of the still(pressure cooker) exploding if condenser line plugs. 

I see them in second hand stores for $20 because most millenniums are not familiar with them. New ones can be had on eBay in the $40 to $80 range but PRESTO is the brand I would favour because of parts availability

Edited by Jazz, January 27, 2017 - 12:13 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,687 Thanks
  • 4,467 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 07:31 PM

The power fluctuates too much here for me to feel safe if I was using an electric pressure cooker. It can be scary enough as it is using the electric stove when canning. I never leave the canner unattended.

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,363 Thanks
  • 989 posts

Posted January 27, 2017 - 09:39 PM

We have been using this for the last year. Just push a couple of buttons and it takes care of itself. Haven't cooked anything in it yet just use it to Can a few things. It's less babysitting to use than the old one that we had to watch the temperature on. We are happy with it so far although time will tell on how long it lasts.

https://www.walmart....Canner/46631554

• Alc, Cvans, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 karel ONLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 12:26 AM

Long term? Who knows.

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,687 Thanks
  • 4,467 posts

Posted January 28, 2017 - 11:28 AM

We have been using this for the last year. Just push a couple of buttons and it takes care of itself. Haven't cooked anything in it yet just use it to Can a few things. It's less babysitting to use than the old one that we had to watch the temperature on. We are happy with it so far although time will tell on how long it lasts.

https://www.walmart....Canner/46631554

That looks interesting, kind of like a crock pot with benefits!
  • Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted February 01, 2017 - 12:07 AM

That looks interesting, kind of like a crock pot with benefits!

Crock pot with benefits that's a good way of putting it. You can use them as an electric canner or as a crock pot.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,890 Thanks
  • 4,544 posts

Posted February 01, 2017 - 11:47 AM

Looking at them myself, reviews run the normal gamut.

• Sawdust said thank you