• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bslms OFFLINE  

bslms
  • Member No: 85594
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 08:42 AM

I have a ST-16 (917.25740) trac that has been in the family since my Dad purchased it new. I am trying to gather some info on it so when I get home in a couple of months I can get it up and running again after about 10 years of sitting idle. The SN is unknown because it is about 1500 miles away right now.
Anyway, it is the 3 speed with hi/lo range. I would like to know the make and model of the Trans. If anyone has that info I would appreciate it. Even though the Trans was working fine when last used I would like to look at a manual and research parts availability (mainly seals) for when I get into it.
Thanks for any help.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,608 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for what you want. Downloads are free but limited to 3 per day. There are quite a few for Sears so start downloading now. The transaxle is probably Peerless. There is a transmission section of the Manuals Section. I can usually match the seals that I need to standard seals from NAPA or a Bearing distributor store. I'll try to find you a brouchure to download. Good Luck, Rick

This manual is for transmission seals  http://gardentractor...ix-speed-seals/

This looks to be the owners and parts manual   http://gardentractor...-st16-91725740/

I see that you have the Tecumseh OH160 engine. Its a good engine but parts are getting hard to find and expensive. Be very carefull with that ignition system. If it dies the parts run $300 to $500 if you can find them. Never put electricity to the magneto and always keep the spakplug wire grounded. Find and read the engine manual.

Edited by boyscout862, January 25, 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,554 Thanks
  • 846 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 09:43 AM

Also check sears parts direct they have an illustration and stock some parts. many of the seals and such they sell you can also get at napa and or other parts suppliers.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,722 Thanks
  • 5,572 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 12:31 PM

Welcome.

the 917.25740 is either a 1973 or 1974 tractor, Sears used the same model for both years. The only real difference is the 73 has a 2 spoke steering wheel, 74 had 3.

It should be a Tecumseh OH160 with either a 10amp or 20 amp charging system, seems some had a 10, others had the 20.

Boyscout is a correct on the SSI ignition system although a little high on replacement costs, more like $150 ball park. You can check out the link in my signature for info on those.

The rear axle will be a Roper 633A ( some people will call them Peerless). You can also clink the link in my sig to find out how to remove if needed, there is also a link inside that to another thread of a member who tore his apart, he listed the seal aaprt numbers and others beside Sears.

The axle takes 5 quarts of non detergent straight 30 weight oil. A Trick to changing is remove one of the bolts from shifter plate which allows axle to vent while you are pouring in oil through the small fill hole on the left side. Yuo can also remove the whole shifter and dump it straight in, but takes a little finesse to get it back in.

Of course we expect pictures when possible :thumbs: :D

Edited by TAHOE, January 25, 2017 - 12:33 PM.

• MH81 and det12187 have said thanks

#5 bslms OFFLINE  

bslms
  • Member No: 85594
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for the responses. I suspected that it was a Peerless. My son and I are looking forward to getting into the ST when I return from FL. We expect to get it up and moving under its own power this summer. Its been a while since I have heard it run. It is a very rugged and capable tractor.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,470 Thanks
  • 17,897 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 02:49 PM

As the others have said its a Peerless built 633 series transmission, things like gaskets and seals are still available for the most part, I am a peerless dealer and still stock alot of the parts

• MH81 said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,722 Thanks
  • 5,572 posts

Posted January 25, 2017 - 03:15 PM

. It is a very rugged and capable tractor.

I beat on mine pretty hard and she still keeps going.

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,570 Thanks
  • 1,298 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:32 AM

Although it may be Peerless build Roper themselves take credit for designing and building the transaxle. You won't find it in any tractor other than a Roper or AYP ( Same company ) built tractor. I have seen them used in some industrial stationary equipment though.
As for the SSI,their are two companies now selling brand new replacement igintions that replace the factory SSI for less money than people want for 40 year old used systems.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,687 Thanks
  • 43,728 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:44 AM

Although it may be Peerless build Roper themselves take credit for designing and building the transaxle. You won't find it in any tractor other than a Roper or AYP ( Same company ) built tractor. I have seen them used in some industrial stationary equipment though.
As for the SSI,their are two companies now selling brand new replacement igintions that replace the factory SSI for less money than people want for 40 year old used systems.

And they were used for many years!

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 08:24 PM

I've only seen 2 bad ones one fixable, one not.
They are exceptionally robust and almost require a willful destruction to be damaged.
The repaired one had a bad factory weld