Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 and Onan P220 acting up again.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 05:52 PM

I am not really sure what is causing the problems but if it is cooled off it starts right up and runs great and as long as you don't shut it off it runs great when it is warm. Although it dues start to fluctuate / surge on the idle but full throttle runs great. If you shut it down after it is warmed up you can forget about starting it.

I have to walk away from it and let it cool off before I try and start it again, and it needs to cool off a lot, even sitting there for 15 minutes isn't enough.

I don't think it is the carb because that has been cleaned.... I forgot how many times now and I would think that if it was the coil it would show signs while it was running when it was hot by missing and what not. The only other conclusion I have thought of would be vapor lock. When you go to try and start it again when it is warm it is definitely getting gas because if you pull the choke you can smell the unburnt gas from the exhaust.

It was too hot today for me to really mess with it while the engine was warm. I will have to wait till a cooler day.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:00 PM

I'd just slip a timing light on it to check for fire next time it does that. On my 2055, if you remember, I had a similar problem & actually heard the fuel in my carb boiling after shutting down. I had to make my own heat shields for it.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:13 PM

I will definitely put the timing light on it again when it does it. I know with my hearing I wouldn't be able to hear the fuel boiling. I know the air filter needs replaced too but I don't think that would cause this issue. It has heat shields on the header pipes, might have to run another piece of sheet metal across the top of them to help keep the heat away from the carb if that is the problem.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:34 PM

I remember, you had a loose coil wire on this one right?
Have you tried a different coil?

My MF14 had similiar issue ayear and a half ago, and Dan steared me in the right direction, and in the end it was
the coil. When it got hot, it was an epic failure.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I would think though that if it was the coil when it got hot that it would do it while it was running also. It runs great hot as long as I don't shut it off. I just went up to start it so I could put it in the garage and she fired right up. I tried to park it in the garage earlier but it wouldn't start since it was still hot/warm.

I will mess with it some more tomorrow when I have some time and get a timing light on it once it is hot.