29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,958 Thanks
  • 2,241 posts

Posted January 24, 2017 - 04:29 PM

Had a few minutes today so I took pictures of what the shifter looks like in the ends of the shift rails in each gear position as well as neutral on my 1050.  My shifter works fine and as you can see the end of the shifter is captured in the grooves in each of the positions - hopefully you can compare it to yours and figure out what is causing your problem.  One other thing that may be wrong is one of your shifter rails is moving too far ahead if something is broken or out of place in the transmission.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 In Gear.jpg
  • 2 In Gear.jpg
  • 3 In Gear.jpg
  • 4 In Gear.jpg
  • 5 In Neutral.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, January 24, 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#17 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 11:04 AM

Had a few minutes today so I took pictures of what the shifter looks like in the ends of the shift rails in each gear position as well as neutral on my 1050.  My shifter works fine and as you can see the end of the shifter is captured in the grooves in each of the positions - hopefully you can compare it to yours and figure out what is causing your problem.  One other thing that may be wrong is one of your shifter rails is moving too far ahead if something is broken or out of place in the transmission.

thank you for all the extra work on my behalf When a person is willing to help others like that it speaks volumes about them!!Hopefully I will have the chance to return the favor,As for what u said about one shift rail coming out to far I think this is part of the problem..in your pics it would be the one on the left,it seems to come a lot further out.hopefully tomorrow i will be able to work in the shop for a while.Today its cut firewood and go to work at 6;30 pm till 3am.

• KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#18 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,958 Thanks
  • 2,241 posts

Posted January 26, 2017 - 02:49 PM

If you have to repair something in the transmission this thread should help you as it has pictures of what the transmission and rear end in a 1053 look like inside (yours should be very similar) and how to disassemble and reassemble them starting at post # 22 - http://gardentractor...-project/page-2

Also check out the Tube Frame Service Manual in the manuals section if you do not have a copy of it already - http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/ . Hope you find the problem and it is an easy fix.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, stiemmy and 1 other said thanks

#19 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 01:57 PM

here are pics of the shifter and the ends of the shift rails what do you think? I am not seeing that much wear really I dont think,One thing I did see is that the retaining ring was missing from the shifter,the one under the ball,I wonder if it was allowing it to ride up the shifter so it came out from between the rails?The ends themselves fit well on the ends of the rails and the rails dont teem to be bent or have side to side play

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0218.JPG
  • PTDC0219.JPG
  • PTDC0220.JPG
  • PTDC0221.JPG

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,286 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 02:03 PM

I would say that missing retaining ring is 99% of the problem, that ball likely slid out of place past the snap ring groove

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#21 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,823 Thanks
  • 2,415 posts

Posted February 20, 2017 - 06:31 PM

:ditto:

• blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#22 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted March 05, 2017 - 10:06 PM

Well keep fingures crossed,seems to be working so we will see if it lasts!

• 29 Chev said thank you