• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,066 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 22, 2017 - 11:30 PM

I finally got some time today and rebuilt the starter on the 1220 and got her to run,It runs real well but shifting is a problem ,the shifter comes out from between the shift rails and you have to reach under the tractor and line everybody back up,it will go into all gears and they all work.Ideas?????

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0134 (1).JPG

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 06:34 AM

I would think either a worn shift yoke ball or worn shift rails. This is just an educated guess but I would start at the ball and work rearward. Possibly try another yoke from a donor tractor if you have one laying around.
  • boyscout862, chieffan, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,400 Thanks
  • 5,810 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:56 AM

I agree with Eric.  Remove the cover for the shifter ball and then the shifter.  Can then see if the end of the shifter is wore.  Then check the rails for excess wear.  Don't think it is anything inside causing this.

• 29 Chev and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 08:38 AM

Your shifter end or cast iron connectors may be worn out or the two plates that hold the shifter ball in place may be loose or worn causing the shifter to ride lower than its supposed to.

• LPBolens, 29 Chev and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 09:43 AM

Here are pictures of the shifter in the parts diagram as well as pictures of the shifter on my one of my 1050's (which should be the same set up as yours).  As stated the two flanges (items #36)  may have become a loose fit on the ball (item #39) or something on the shifter lever may be wore.  If the flanges are loose you can sometimes use a large socket (or piece of pipe) that just fits over the rolled up lip of the flange that goes around the shifter ball and using a press push the inner lip back down a little bit making the flange a snugger fit on the ball.  Something else that may have happened is that one of the snap rings (item #37) that holds the ball in the correct location on the shaft may have broken allowing the rod to slide up in the ball - any that I have encountered the ball is usually rusted to the shaft but yours may be loose.  The flanges may also be loose on the transmission cover - check to make sure the bolts are tight and that crud has not gotten in between the flanges and the cover.  I don't think you can remove the upper flange without removing the shifter knob as the knob should be larger than the hole in the flange if memory serves me correctly - if you do try and unthread the knob from the shaft be gentle as the plastic knobs can break.  You should be able to set a flat mirror on the floor under the shifter mechanism area and shine a light up from below to view the movement of the shifter while moving it without having to stand on your head to give you an idea of what is happening to allow the shifter to come out of place - just be careful you do not drop any tools on the mirror and break it - broken glass is no fun to clean up. One other possibility could be that one or both of the shift rails is bent allowing too large a gap around the shifter rod - not common but could happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Parts Diagram.jpg
  • 2 1050 Shifter Top View.jpg
  • 3 1050 Shifter Bottom View.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, January 23, 2017 - 09:59 AM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 5 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,239 Thanks
  • 43,361 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Here are pictures of the shifter in the parts diagram as well as pictures of the shifter on my one of my 1050's (which should be the same set up as yours).  As stated the two flanges (items #36)  may have become a loose fit on the ball (item #39) or something on the shifter lever may be wore.  If the flanges are loose you can sometimes use a large socket (or piece of pipe) that just fits over the rolled up lip of the flange that goes around the shifter ball and using a press push the inner lip back down a little bit making the flange a snugger fit on the ball.  Something else that may have happened is that one of the snap rings (item #37) that holds the ball in the correct location on the shaft may have broken allowing the rod to slide up in the ball - any that I have encountered the ball is usually rusted to the shaft but yours may be loose.  The flanges may also be loose on the transmission cover - check to make sure the bolts are tight and that crud has not gotten in between the flanges and the cover.  I don't think you can remove the upper flange without removing the shifter knob as the knob should be larger than the hole in the flange if memory serves me correctly - if you do try and unthread the knob from the shaft be gentle as the plastic knobs can break.  You should be able to set a flat mirror on the floor under the shifter mechanism area and shine a light up from below to view the movement of the shifter while moving it without having to stand on your head to give you an idea of what is happening to allow the shifter to come out of place - just be careful you do not drop any tools on the mirror and break it - broken glass is no fun to clean up. One other possibility could be that one or both of the shift rails is bent allowing too large a gap around the shifter rod - not common but could happen.

Now that's a good reply! I got to learn something from that!

• LPBolens, stiemmy and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#7 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,066 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 12:31 PM

yes that is a good reply,much more then I expected ,lots of info.I jacked my tractor right up 3 feet in the air so I could zip right under it on my creeper and had lots of room to look at it.I will go to the shop in a little bit ,crawl under and take a few pics and put them on here

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and stiemmy have said thanks

#8 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 04:36 PM

Now that's a good reply! I got to learn something from that!

That I am too long winded? :rolling:  

• KennyP, stiemmy and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,239 Thanks
  • 43,361 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:18 PM

That I am too long winded? :rolling:  

No! You answered a question with good pics of what to look for! Not all of us know what the 'off' brands to us look like!

• stiemmy, 29 Chev and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#10 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,066 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:39 PM

here are a few pics as you can see in the 3rd pic it looks to me like a lot of play between shift rails and in the 4th pic you can shift completely out of the pattern around the end of the shift rail,The ends of the shift rails are held on with a roll pin and there is some slop in them.Is there a bushing inside the caps?

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0202.JPG
  • PTDC0204.JPG
  • PTDC0206.JPG
  • PTDC0209.JPG

• Bolens 1000 and stiemmy have said thanks

#11 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,066 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:43 PM

I just noticed the spot where my shifter contacts the 2 shift rails looks like its worn halfway through compared to the pics above of yours.Is that then the problem?

#12 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,993 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:50 PM

You definitely have some excessive wear there on those cast ends,would belive the shifter ball is also bad
  • LPBolens and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#13 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,066 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 06:05 PM

I wonder if you can rotate the cast ends to use the other side of them?

#14 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,954 Thanks
  • 2,237 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 06:38 PM

It is hard to tell how much wear is on your ends as the dirt / gunge may be making them look worse than they are.  My experience has been that the ends should be a fairly snug fit on the shift rails with very little sideways movement - looking at the pictures your ends appear to have a bit wider gap at the front than the rear which is possibly why your shifter pops out - the gap should be fairly close to parallel as the shift rails move in and out - I tried to find a picture of mine where the transmission is in gear but could not.  I have never had an end off of a shift rail but I would think that you should be able to turn them half a turn by taking the roll pin out - make sure you support the shift rail when you drive out and reinstall the roll pin.  The ends appear to be the same part number so you could also move them from one shift rail to the other and accomplish the same thing if you cannot rotate them.  I would also check to make sure that one of the shift rails is not bent - I would suggest removing the cover to make working on things easier and it will let you inspect the gears inside at the same time.  I have attached pictures of the ends on a 1053 transmission (which is also a similar set up I believe) and what the ends looked like before and after being cleaned up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Ends Before Being Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 2 Ends After Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 3 Ends After Clean Up.jpg
  • 5 Ends After Clean Up.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#15 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,993 posts