Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Also, all the parts off this thing have Clinton on them. Even the condensor and carburetor.

I understand that. ...I was not implying that you have a Tecumseh, just that the Tecumseh coil may work for you if you need a replacement.

#17 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 10:46 AM

I understand that. ...I was not implying that you have a Tecumseh, just that the Tecumseh coil may work for you if you need a replacement.

Oh, I was not implying that you were implying anything at all. I just found it odd that every part on this thing, including ignition and carburation have Clinton on them, and not another manufacturer, such as Phelon, Walbro, to name a couple. I suppose it tells me that all the parts are original.

#18 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Okay, so who made the carburetors for Clinton? This one has Clinton on it. With the numbers 77 on one side and 49 on the other side of the choke side of carb. And what appears to be LMG right below throttle butterfly. Clinton Made in USA is on the bottom of bowl. That is all I can find.

#19 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 01:34 AM

What do you know about this company & mower? .......It bears a striking resemblance to early Springfield riding mowers.

I'm wondering if it was built by Springfield for another company?

Check out the 1956 Springfield model 350-A and the 1957 Springfield model 357-A manuals I just posted in the Springfield tractor folder. .....Do they look similar to what you have?

Both of these models had Clinton engines. .....The 357-A manual specifies the Clinton VS1100, but the 350-A manual doesn't state which model engine was used. .....I suspect, but can't prove, it also used the VS1100.

Both of these models use the same part #2113 as found on your rear hub.

Does your Rugg have a manufacturer's plate on it listing an address & model number?

Links to Springfield manuals: Springfield 1957 model 357-A - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
Springfield 1956 model 350-A - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#20 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 03:35 AM

Wow, you were not kidding when you said they looked alike. That will be very helpful for me. Okay, mine is a model 24-A. And here is a copied and pasted note from the Rugg group I belong to. riding mowers manufactured by E.T. Rugg of Newark, Ohio. Such as: Penncraft, Tru Test, Rugg, Biltmore, Grants, Suburbanite, etc. So, I am not sure who made what or when. What I am sure of is what I have and am currently working on now. And your information will be very helpful to me. Sure does raise a question though, doesn't it? Thanks for the manuals.

#21 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 03:41 AM

Check out the 1956 Springfield model 350-A and the 1957 Springfield model 357-A manuals I just posted in the Springfield tractor folder. .....Do they look similar to what you have?

Both of these models had Clinton engines. .....The 357-A manual specifies the Clinton VS1100, but the 350-A manual doesn't state which model engine was used. .....I suspect, but can't prove, it also used the VS1100. Look what I found on another site! Another copy and paste from me with this guys response.
Both of these models use the same part #2113 as found on your rear hub.

Does your Rugg have a manufacturer's plate on it listing an address & model number?

Links to Springfield manuals: Springfield 1957 model 357-A - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
Springfield 1956 model 350-A - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Your roto rugg mower was manufactured by quick manf. company, springfield ohio. about 1957. they were marketed by numerous retailers. quick also sold it under the springfield name. mine had a clinton on it. good luck.

#22 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Sure, it's a VS1100 model engine.

Can you give me all the numbers from the Clinton engine?

I have the Clinton parts catalog, and can get you the info for your engine.

The Clinton parts catalog is strange because not all of the info is in one area. .....Engine parts are in one section, starter parts another section, carb parts another section, etc ..... It's a PITA!

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:03 PM

It amazes me how many brands are sourced from one manufacturer. It does make it nice though to find information sometimes though.

#24 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Can you give me all the numbers from the Clinton engine?

I have the Clinton parts catalog, and can get you the info for your engine.

The Clinton parts catalog is strange because not all of the info is in one area. .....Engine parts are in one section, starter parts another section, carb parts another section, etc ..... It's a PITA!

Sure! Serial number is 75755480179, and model number is VS1100 1103 That is every number I could see. Hope this helps you help me. LOL!

#25 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well, a buddy of mine extracted that broken stud out of the hub for me yesterday. So, other than still not getting spark, I will be on my way again here soon. Oh, and have the gas tank painted also. Will price tires while in town this week. See what they are getting for them. :smile1:

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Glad to hear of some progress. I hope the Clinton gurus find you some answers. Been years since I have seen one of those engines.

#27 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Glad to hear of some progress. I hope the Clinton gurus find you some answers. Been years since I have seen one of those engines.

I am just gonna replace the ignition components. Can't cost too very much. That will eliminate any possibility. I also found belts for it. Other than a bowl gasket, the carburetor is in terrific shape. Small things will be taken care of in a timely fashion. Hopefully. I was very fortunate to have acquired one in such good original condition. And now to have such good help on this wonderful site.

#28 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 12:49 PM

Sure! Serial number is 75755480179, and model number is VS1100 1103 That is every number I could see. Hope this helps you help me. LOL!

OK ---- Give me a few days!
  • akretowicz said thank you

#29 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 24, 2011 - 08:59 PM

Today cleaned, regreased, and installed the rear hubs. Changed the rear end oil, while I was back there. Also greased the axle shafts. Still have to get some igniton components and then I will have spark. Slow but sure, some progress is being made. Cannot wait until I can finally get it started.

#30 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 05:00 AM

Glad to hear you're making progress! Sounds like you're making progress!