Garden Tractor Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voting For Feature tractor of the Month Feb 2017

6K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  DougT 
#1 ·
Voting For Feb 2017 Feature Tractor
Which tractor do we feature for Feb 2017?
Ericjr16 1967 Sears Suburban44.60%
Hank G 1960/63 Homelite Garden trac910.34%
Case1man 1975 Ford 145LGT89.20%
Jonas Monnett 1983 Allis Chalmers 912H22.30%
Tiretrx 1976 Case 2202225.29%
Sugarmaker late 40's David Bradley walk behind 89.20%
Boyscout862 1969 MTD 8601112.64%
Fonz3482 Bolens 60033.45%
Bolens800uk Bolens 60066.90%
Ruststeele Mid 20s Standard Walk Behind89.20%
Olds45512 Cub Cadet 105011.15%
jimmy G 1937 1hp. M/W hoe-trac55.75%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of Feb 2017 has now officially started and will end the last day of Jan 2017. This month's theme is Original Survivors.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of February and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity.

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

We have 12 nominations this month.

Ericjr16 1967 Sears Suburban 10

Hang G 1960/63 Homelite Garden trac

Case1man 1975 Ford 145 LGT

Jonas Monnett 1983 Allis Chalmers 912H

Tiretrx 1976 Case 220

Sugarmaker late 40's David Bradley walk behind

Boyscout862 1969 MTD 860

fonz3482 Bolens 600

Bolens800uk Bolens 600

Rustysteele Mid 20 Standard walkbehind

olds45512 Cub Cadet 1050

jimmy g 1937 1hp. M/W hoe-trac

Good Luck To All!!

Let the Voting Begin!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well here goes! I was traded my 1967 Sears Suburban 10 from a ex coworker. He wanted a John Deere 111 we restored and traded the SS10 and a RER Snapper for it! I got the better deal!!! I was sent pictures of it and was told it hadn't run in some time. It came with a deck and mule drive I never used, they are behind shed now. The machine came with a painted stack which in time I swapped to a stock type muffler to save wear and tear on exhaust threads. It also had a horn added I later removed for toggle switch for new ignition system. We got in trade a SS12 one time and I kept the hupcaps for mine!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plant community Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Combat vehicle

Dad got it running and I was going to sell it. My forum friends taught me how foolish that would have been! I decided to keep it. So happy I did! Over time we acquired the rear weights for it. My friend Bob gave us a three point hitch as well as rear plow. I use those for added weight and ice channel carving in winter and drainage ditch making in summer. The dirt plow sure works great for last clean up of snow in winter after the blowers are done. The blowers are set a little high due to gravel driveways.

As far as I am aware the paint is original and only mods were nice foot rests made by a caring owner in past. The only things we have done are carb clean, new head gasket as after a year could see it blowing out side. At same time we changed the points and condenser due to failing starts and stalling. Then we added auto coil type ignition I learned of on forum. Sure made difference in cold starts. I use it for plowing every snow storm. It sits more than it should in summer, but gets called to duty with dirt work.

My Wheel Horse is also all original but only one can be nominated.

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Snow Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Snow Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#4 ·
I put forth for your consideration my 1960/63 Homelite Garden trac, Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Font Motor vehicle Gas Commemorative plaque Signage
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Red Fender Gas
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
this tractor is all original and came with a deck, snow blower and blade. It also came with turf tires and rims I believe all the tires to be original . This tractor was found in south Jersey farm country. I am now the second owner of this 56 year old machine. The implements saw very limited use as can be seen in the pics, the blower still has a paper tag stuck to the inside I don't think it was ever used. Thanks to my good friend and GTTalk member jabelman for pointing me at it, I was able to purchase this great running piece of history.

Attachments

#5 ·
I would like to nominate my 1975 Ford 145 LGT. I bought this tractor for mowing and pushing snow but after about a year found a deal on a Ford 165 LGT closed side with a 50 inch deck to mow with. The 145 still has its original paint no work has been done to the original drive train but normal maintenance . It has the original wheel weights, hub caps, and sleeve hitch. It also came with a original Ford dump cart that has never been painted also all the lights and safety switches still work. I did have to replace the rear tires because of dry rot and the seat because it was ripped but kept the seat in hopes of finding new pads or having it recovered. I still use it quiet a bit for pushing snow and pulling the grandkids around in the cart. Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor
Plant Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I Would Love To Nominate My 1983 Allis Chalmers 912H. It Has Been Through Two Of My Friends Before I Got It. I Traded Another Tractor For It To One Of My Friend Who Had It I Use It For Tilling, Mowing, And Pushing; Rock, Snow, Dirt And Mulch With It. It Is All Original. Everything Still Got The Factory Shine On It Including The Deck & Tiller. The Original 12Hp Kohler Engine Is Still Running Great And Amazing. It Is My Workhorse Out Of All My Tractors

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

#7 ·
Here's my 1976 Case 220. I found it at my local small engine sales/repair shop in May '15. I get some parts there, especially when I'm in hurry. Cool place, old school. The owner was busy that day, so it gave me a chance to check out machines in the repair lot, where I spotted this sitting. The shop owner's brother walked over and shared it's background. One owner, and it was serviced at that shop since new. K241 Kohler, with 800 hours. I jokingly asked if it was for sale, thinking he'd say no. To my surprise, he said the owner was moving and was planning to sell it after getting it serviced. We fired it up, and after I took it through a little test run, I called the owner from the shop and we made a deal.

Original paint, decals, stickers, etc. Tires also, pretty sure. The only thing I never verified was the seat, so no claims there. There is some wear gathered through it's life, scratches, chips, etc., but overall she's pretty darn clean for her age. All I've done is clean/degrease it, and wax it occasionally. It is always stored inside, but it is still worked. I use it to mow an acre of flat field once a week during the season. And it pulls some boat trailers, and wagons, now and again. Starts every time on a 1/4 choke and runs smooth without a lick of smoke.

20151017_171033_zpsvsurskqa.jpg

20151017_171017_zpsemetyltc.jpg

20150527_071115_zpsf7c9shtc.jpg?14327418

This post has been promoted to an article

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok I will attempt to make a entry for Feb.

The late 40's David Bradley walk behind had been stored with a roof over a portion of it but near a open west wall in a old shed. This tractor came from my wife's home and the tractor was her Great Grandfathers. He had big gardens and tilled them with this machine. It had the cultivator attached. When we found it the hood was closed and the engine was free. So I though it might run someday. The wife wanted me to bring it home! It took me several months to decide we needed another project. It took several days to get the carb rebuilt and make sure it had spark. A new plug and wire along with cleaning the points, fresh gas and it fired up with one pull. Thanks to the folks on here I was able to get replacement wheels for the cultivator and a new good hood support. It has been to several shows and always is a favorite when the Briggs N type engine is setting there putting along at idle.

DSC04703.jpg

Hood off for ease of working on the gas system.

DSC04702.jpg

Yes the David Bradley look, who can forget that!

DSC04704.jpg

The new old guide wheels! Those tires do not have any checks in them! They were made with good rubber back then!

DSC04733.jpg

DSC04734.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

It did need a new gas line and new throttle cable. Just couldn't save the originals. A friend provided a new clicker hub for the right side which was not working properly. Other that that its just as it rolled out of the Sears store! Which now that I think of it, it has outlasted some of the Sears stores!

Regards,

Chris

#9 ·
I would like to nominate my 1969 MTD 860 which is labeled a '12 Hundred". I posted it on here when I saw it on CL(http://gardentractor...mtd#entry572468). A couple of hours later I decided to try for it myself. It included a 42 inch mower & 36 inch snow blower with wheel weighs and tire chains. The PTO needed to be replaced. Ran well. I sent a message and the owner called me a couple of hours later. Collecting is definitely an addiction.

I went to look at it. His father bought it new in 1969(the year I made Eagle and graduated HS). It ran and was in very good condition except the seat and the PTO. He drove it onto my trailer for me. He was a very nice gent and knew it was worth more as parts but wanted it to go to a good home. I updated the thread and got some good advise from EricFromPa. He pointed out that the PTO and belt guard the tractor needed were for sale at Joe's Outdoor Power. I ordered the parts and fixed the tractor and did all the maintenance. I mowed the yard with it and it worked fine. I definitely need to get a new seat cushion for it. This winter and last, it is the backup snowblower.

post-8923-0-24007700-1452053778_thumb.jppost-8923-0-59065600-1452053777_thumb.jppost-8923-0-92957800-1452053776_thumb.jppost-8923-0-87001700-1452053778_thumb.jppost-8923-0-16496500-1452053779_thumb.jp

#10 ·
Some great entries this month and a lot of them, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd like to enter My Bolens 600. It is all original, no paint has been touched up or changed. It was "highly" optioned with electric start, seat cushion and back rest. :rolling: It also came with a front mount reel mower which works great. The 600 and I had a rough start when I purchased it, It ran ok at the owners house and I was able to test the trans and the reel mower. I was super excited about my purchase and couldn't wait to get home and use it with my 1yr old son riding along. I pulled off the thruway to fill the tractor with fresh 91 octane ethanol free fuel and a splash of Marvel mystery oil. I got home and had lunch and then went out to unload the 600 to mow the grass. Well it decided it no longer wanted to run. :wallbanging: I tinkered with it and finally got it fired. I pulled it off the trailer and drove into the grass to mow. I set the throttle at 3/4's and engaged the pto to spin the reel mower. I placed it in 1st gear, drove about 5-10ft and that is all she wrote, it stalled and wouldn't restart. So I sadly did the push of shame into my garage and decided I better really give the machine a full check over and tune up.

With help from a great local parts supplier and the members here on the forum I was able to fumble through all the repairs. I finally got it running good and I mowed with it several times last spring. Man is the reel mower a lot of fun to use and it is a super neat attachment in my opinion. The little 600 will chop through tall grass with no sweat. Here are pictures of when I picked it up, and when I mowed the lawn. I wish it wasn't in hibernation right now because I added the missing hood ornament and gave the original paint a nice clean up and wax. Its got just the right patina and I don't think I will restore it, well maybe someday! LOL! Enjoy!

Attachments

#11 ·
A lot of strong contenders here jostling for the prize of GTOM!

I thought I would throw in my Bolens 600 which was eventually shipped from Ohio, USA to Devon UK last year. It all started when I was idly browsing through EBay USA and I spotted this gem of a find in Ohio. By chance I spotted Dave South's post aka Old Buzzard, about being willing to collect and store any GTs locally to help out fellow GTT members. Well I emailed Dave who very kindly agreed to help me out if I won the auction. Without telling me he contacted the guy who lived near to him and paid a visit and checked it out. Said it drive like a dream and the steering was spot on. Anyway I won the auction and a moment of panic set in when I realised the ramifications of my actions! Anyway Dave duly collected it on my behalf and stored it at Chez Old Buzzard's for a year until I could get around to organising it to be shipped over to the UK.

The seller works out in a scrap yard and this poor old girl was being scrapped alongside with the deck and front plough. Recognising its potential he listed it on eBay and I was the only one who bidded on it I think for $150. It's now in the UK along with its Bolens stable mates and is absolutely one of my 8 favourite Bolens! I love the patina on it and will not be restoring it at all but just to protect its body work. I have fired it up and have driven it around a friend's field for fun. My thanks to Dave for helping me securing it and storing it and to the UK Bolens Boys for their support in this venture.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here`s my odd-ball Standard, the early model (second generation?) mid-1920`s with the open flywheel and friction-drive cooling blower in front. It is equipped with 6 volt electric start, which I believe is adapted to it at the factory, since the battery box and other additional brackets are put together professionally with rivets, and where the starting crank holder bracket would be, is painted over with the original paint, a farmer or garage wouldn`t go through the trouble to make it look so nice. But a fussy mechanic who was also a skilled blacksmith could have done the conversion also. I think it was done in the late 1920`s or early 1930`s when farm tractors were starting to get electric starters, someone decided why not try it on a small tractor? And this beast was created.

This tractor had one major flaw, it could only be started with the electric starter, and it has battery ignition. I`ve tried using a regular Standard crank on it, without that bracket to hold the crank straight while you turn it, it just wobbles all over the place and destroys your knuckles. So if you were out in the back forty with it, stopped it for lunch or it stalls, there`s a very good chance that it won`t start, if the battery is worn down enough. then you`d have to bring out Old Dobbin to pull it back to the house to charge the battery, or carry the battery back to charge it for the afternoon. This machine still has most of the original paint, and it has super compression and runs like a top, so I doubt it saw a lot of use.

This has a novel method of starting. There is a belt that runs from the starter to the crankshaft pulley, the starter has a handle and is hinged so the belt can be tightened or loosened, with the starter button on the end of the handle. To start, you hold down the compression release on the intake valve, press the button to spin the starter, and tighten the belt to start the engine spinning. Then let go of the compression release, choke it, and it starts. Once it is running, loosen the starter belt, let go of the starter button, grab the wooden stick clamped onto the handle, and use it to pop the belt off of the engine pulley. Put the stick back on the handle, pick up the belt and put it on the handle, and away you go! Simple! I wish I could be more certain of it`s original history, it will probably never be known, but it certainly is a unique garden tractor, and possibly the first attempt to install an electric start on one!

Attachments

#13 ·
I will nominate my cub cadet 1050. The 1050 is a one model year only tractor, there were produced in 1989 and there's believed to be less than 3000 made. For those who are unfamiliar with this model it has a Kohler 10hp magnum and a 3 speed manual trans.
The one I have was rescued from a friends cub graveyard, I picked it up as a project but it turns out that it runs and mows great as is. I'm undecided on whether it will get a restoration since it's rare and still in decent original shape, even the tires are original.

Attachments

#14 ·
Only two deductions are possible on this tractor,(1) even though it is all original the side aprons have been removed (for obvious reasons),(2)This tractor is why I haunt this place. This is a 1937 1hp. M/W hoe-trac and is generation 1 simplicity,I have yet to see another early blue version with original paint (including plow-trac),The riverside's might even be worth half a credit In deductions lol,P.O. said he thought his dad bought it new and remembered his dad using it far back as he could remember,he said he ran it also but at 78 yrs old would not run it again,it will go with me to escanaba this year(some serious walk behinds up their)and spend the rest of its life doing paraids and joy rides,the solid cast brass governor throw arm is something I haven't seen before

Attachments

#19 ·
My phone never shows me this! The one time I never voted due to tapatalk! Well voted this time and have to admit gonna be hard to vote all are great machines! :)

Reactions: propane1
#22 ·
Really Great tractors and stories this month !! They all have appeal !!

Reactions: Austen
#25 ·
I have voted, but it was hard to figure out which one. Great entries and stories.

Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.