• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • Member No: 85696
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 12:36 AM

WOW Jams 180! What a great website! Its a keeper! Thanks!

#17 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 12:44 AM

Hey Rick. Is your screen name for real? I'm in my late 60s and spent a lot of time in the scout programs as a kid and adult leader. Its a great program! Was 862 your troop? What location?

There is no solenoid and the area where it'd have been was cleaned thoroughly. Thanks for your input!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#18 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,183 Thanks
  • 985 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 01:48 AM

In similar situations I have many times used my hand to chock the carb. This pots the suction of the engine directly on the palm of your hand. if you feel good vacuum you can guess that is ok. If not you should investigate. It also applies  what vacuum you have directly to most of the fuel and air passages in the carb. In several cases of "no start" I have primed the carb started the engine and immediately hand chocked it while running. If this makes an appreciable change then it is likely you can keep the engine running by judicious hand chocking. Some times a few minuets of this will suck some small piece of garbage through and make it run normally. Most good engines I have done this to left my palm wet with gas. Don     

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 07:27 AM

Would you be willing to post up a picture of the carb? Click on the "more reply options" button to see the browse and attach buttons

#20 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,236 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 09:24 AM

WOW Jams 180! What a great website! Its a keeper! Thanks!

This is good information to keep. when in a situation like yours I refer to make sure I have cleaned all the small passages air and fuel

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,615 Thanks
  • 8,581 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hey Rick. Is your screen name for real? I'm in my late 60s and spent a lot of time in the scout programs as a kid and adult leader. Its a great program! Was 862 your troop? What location?

There is no solenoid and the area where it'd have been was cleaned thoroughly. Thanks for your input!

I joined BSA in 1962, made Eagle in 1969, was a JASM until I joined the Army and took 29 years off from scouting. When my son became a Tiger Cub, I became involved again. He eventually made Eagle(3rd gen).

I just resigned from my current troop as a Committee Member and Merit Badge Counselor. I'm just getting too old for it. I was Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 86 when I created my handle. BSA is a great program to teach a boy to become a good man and it sure helped in the military. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#22 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:29 PM

In similar situations I have many times used my hand to chock the carb. This pots the suction of the engine directly on the palm of your hand. if you feel good vacuum you can guess that is ok. If not you should investigate. It also applies  what vacuum you have directly to most of the fuel and air passages in the carb. In several cases of "no start" I have primed the carb started the engine and immediately hand chocked it while running. If this makes an appreciable change then it is likely you can keep the engine running by judicious hand chocking. Some times a few minuets of this will suck some small piece of garbage through and make it run normally. Most good engines I have done this to left my palm wet with gas. Don

Good idea. Ill give it a try. I've done it on cars before but never thought to do it on the tractor. Brain fart or or technically referred to as cerebalrectumitis! Thanks secondary!
  • secondtry said thank you

#23 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,183 Thanks
  • 985 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:35 PM

Good idea. Ill give it a try. I've done it on cars before but never thought to do it on the tractor. Brain fart or or technically referred to as cerebalrectumitis! Thanks secondary!

Talk about a brain fart look how i spelled choke.  Don

#24 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Would you be willing to post up a picture of the carb? Click on the "more reply options" button to see the browse and attach buttons

Sure but it'll be a little later. There is a metal plug screwed I to where I suspect the solenoid would be. I'm out on the left coast's Californistan. Not sure if that's the reason there isn't a solenoid or if its the age of the tractor - 1999 or 2000.

#25 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:42 PM

This is good information to keep. when in a situation like yours I refer to make sure I have cleaned all the small passages air and fuel

Just got done reading through it all and now have much better understanding of the carb. Being in the "wonder years" as well every little bit of info helps!

#26 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:55 PM

I joined BSA in 1962, made Eagle in 1969, was a JASM until I joined the Army and took 29 years off from scouting. When my son became a Tiger Cub, I became involved again. He eventually made Eagle(3rd gen).

I just resigned from my current troop as a Committee Member and Merit Badge Counselor. I'm just getting too old for it. I was Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 86 when I created my handle. BSA is a great program to teach a boy to become a good man and it sure helped in the military. Good Luck, Rick

I joined Cub Scouts in 1955. Went from the upside down Bobcat pin through the Cub ranks then Weblows and on into Boy Scouts and OvA. Only made it as far as Star. Family issues and work pulled me away. It is a very good program. While in bootcamp I couldn't believe how many couldn't tie simple knots. Ended up help teaching the class. Lol! I then followed my son into Tigers, Cubs then Boy Scouts and served as an Ass Scout Master for high adventure outings. Probably a few hundred miles backpacking in the Sierra's. I constantly fall back on things I learned back then.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#27 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:59 PM

Talk about a brain fart look how i spelled choke.  Don

LMAO!! Don't feel too bad I never noticed. LOL! Ah getting old is great - eh?
  • secondtry said thank you

#28 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 10:22 PM

Well, carb kit arrived.  I disassembled the carb and gave it another thorough cleaning.  JMS180, thanks again for the carb link.  It was really helpful!  I reassembled the carb and installed it.  Not wanting to take any chances I decided to clean out the fuel lines and fuel tank.  I had to remove the main body to get to the tank.  I drained the gas in the tank into a clean bucket and jumping Jehosaphat!  Guess what I found?  See the picture below.  I don’t know how in the heck it even ran at all.  The picture shows a small layer of gas floating on top of a lot, and I mean a lot of water!

I suspect the water has entered over a long period of time through the gas cap.  The seat while in the down position covers the gas cap.  Because of rain I have made a habit of flipping the seat forward so that it stays dry.  Who wants to ride a tractor with SWAMP BUTT pants right?

Bottom line is while I had the body off I pressure washed everything of and did a lube job.  Also took engine cleaner to the engine area.  Looks purdy now!  I also changed the fuel filter to a good quality clear one so I can do a visual check occasionally.  I put fresh gas into it and it started right up and purred like a kitten - both cylinders firing like a clock.  Problem solved!!!!!  Still can’t figure out why it didn’t want to run on water.

P.S.  I want to sincerely thank everyone for taking the time to help me out.  You have a great forum here!!!

Lawn tractor 1.jpg Lawn tractor 2.jpg Lawn tractor 5.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi and KennyP have said thanks

#29 gunns OFFLINE  

gunns
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 29, 2017 - 10:27 PM

If you are wondering if those are pollywogs in the bottle they ain't!  It's just debris that fell in the bucket while draining the gas tank.  LOL!

• KennyP said thank you

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,706 Thanks
  • 43,747 posts

Posted January 30, 2017 - 07:26 AM

For some reason, water does not make a good fuel for engines. That's a bunch!