tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 06:17 PM

I picked this B6200D a few months back. 

In the time since, I've had a good opportunity to run it, assess it and get an idea how I want to approach fixing/upgrading it. Figured I'd share the process with you. Here's a few pics of it right after getting it home, just the way I got it.

IMG_20161120_105612_zps1jdj1cdl.jpg

IMG_20161120_105543_zps3jaakknp.jpg

IMG_20161120_105645_zpstpdyaadk.jpg

IMG_20161120_105649_zpsylnhx6in.jpg

IMG_20161120_105656_zpsulekrixv.jpg

IMG_20161120_105706_zps7nhquc9a.jpg

The story behind the tractor best I could tell was that it was a workhorse for a fire department sub station. Plowed snow, graded the driveway, and mowed with the rear deck. It was stored inside and serviced yearly. My impression to this point is that it was used a fair amount. By folks that didn't much care about being hard on it, or inflicting physical damage to it. Judging by the paint and finish under the dirt and grime, it was stored inside. And while it was ridden hard, it was probably maintained to a decent degree. It's a strong runner, with solid mechanicals. Also obvious was that things were added in a less than shall we say, professional manner. Cobbled, ill fitting, hacked up and poorly welded. 

My goal is not to restore it. I want to make it very fit mechanically, repair what's broken, upgrade some things and make it look better aesthetically. Using what I have in stock when I can and with a frugal approach. Then use it a lot, and have fun with it. Stay tuned.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,003 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 08:49 PM

I have that engine in a Cub Cadet 1512 with a 50" deck.  All the power the deck will ever need under normal mowing conditions.

• Alc, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:52 AM

I would like to have something like that, be perfect for my 3 acres.

What's the other one next to it?

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,406 Thanks
  • 9,756 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Finally going to make a forklift?

#5 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 01:57 PM

I have that engine in a Cub Cadet 1512 with a 50" deck.  All the power the deck will ever need under normal mowing conditions.

I have no doubts there, these mills are little bulls, imo.

I would like to have something like that, be perfect for my 3 acres.

What's the other one next to it?

There is a ton of value with these machines. That's a late 70's Suzue 175 in the background. Japanese, 4wd, 2 cyl. diesel.

Finally going to make a forklift?

I think I have enough stroke in the piston, lol.

Ok, first project. If you take a look at the spool mount, you can see the main support is the vertical tube, which is welded to a piece of angle iron that is bolted to the foot rest. In addition to that there is a piece of horizontal strap steel which is bolted to the tube and the tractors firewall. This was a home brew went wrong, imo. The mounts instability by design is forward/back. The horizontal strut has minimal affect. The real bad part was that in order to attach the strut to the firewall, the corner of the engine cover, along with it's attachment ability were cut out. Subsequently, the cover in this corner moves, vibrates and interferes with the hood closing. 

I guess I could buy a new/used side cover, but I think we can make it look decent again.......and functional. In this pic you can see the strut and if you follow it right, you'll see where the corner was cut off.

IMG_20161120_105656_zpsulekrixv.jpg

Here's the cover after I welded/ground three cracks on the left side. The edge of where the corner was removed was rough and uneven, so I sanded it smooth using the radius of my belt sander. Above it is a cardboard template taken from the opposite side cover.

IMG_20170116_112043_zpskzz7a88g.jpg

After searching through stuff I had lying around I found this old steel shelf divider. Older tin, thickness was super close. Using the template, I cut it so I'd wind up with a patch bigger than needed.

IMG_20170119_104032_zpsmgt21pbd.jpg

Took that, trimmed it closer to final size, and tacked it up.

IMG_20170119_110827_zpstjgttt2v.jpg

After finish welding/grinding, I mocked up the patch and scribed it for final sizing.

IMG_20170119_113135_zps8qkmiznm.jpg

Here it is welded, shaped, ground and filed a bit. Spot primed it till it's final prepped for painting. Also added slot for through bolt. Next I need to fab up the attachment bracket on the firewall.

IMG_20170119_153644_zpst7moprr9.jpg

Edited by tiretrx, January 20, 2017 - 04:32 PM.

• jhn9840, olcowhand, Cvans and 8 others have said thanks

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 03:57 PM

I can see this is going to turn out nice!   :thumbs:

• tiretrx said thank you

#7 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 308 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 04:46 PM

Nice job on the corner patch fab.

jhn9840
John
  • tiretrx said thank you

#8 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 05:27 PM

Nice Ellis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • tiretrx said thank you

#9 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm not a body guy, but from 10 feet it doesn't stand out, and it will stop the rattling, etc. I really dislike things rattling on my tractors.

Small progress today. The small cylindrical housing that bolts over the spring on the spool was made of diecast. The small bolting ears were cracked off. The previous solution was using a block of wood to hold in place, somewhat, at best. I had a shortish piece of stainless in the bin, and spun this new one out on the lathe. Should end any problems with cracking in the future.

IMG_20161228_171135_zpsfzddhz1k.jpg

IMG_20161228_171126_zpsoxgjvcct.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 08:39 PM

I had a shortish piece of stainless in the bin, and spun this new one out on the lathe.

Stainless steel. Whaa and I suppose it only took you an hour. :smilewink:   Some people are born talented the rest of us have to beat our heads against the wall to get there. 

• KennyP, jpackard56 and tiretrx have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,892 Thanks
  • 44,623 posts

Posted January 22, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Stainless steel. Whaa and I suppose it only took you an hour. :smilewink:   Some people are born talented the rest of us have to beat our heads against the wall to get there. 

I'll agree with that!

• Cvans, jpackard56 and tiretrx have said thanks

#12 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 22, 2017 - 10:46 AM

I make heavy marine parts for a living, so one really nice fringe benefit is having SS and brass/bronze scrap pieces. That's IF I get jobs to make scraps, lol. Between you and I, I'll bet I've dented just as many walls with my head as you have, Chris. :D The price of learning and doing sometimes, I guess.......

Without a lathe I think I would have cut a piece of scrap pipe/tube to length with a hacksaw. Next, take an appropriate size washer and weld that to one pipe end. Trace out the profile and bolt holes on the washer. Grind the profile and drill the holes. Weld a cap to the end, grind it neat, and paint her up.

No welder? There's some great epoxys out there. Open up the cracks on the broken piece a bit with a file, and let modern science do it's job. 

I think sometimes folks get discouraged if they don't have a ton of tools, experience etc. But I would say to the folks just getting started that there's lots of ways you can improve your machines mechanically, performance and looks wise without them. Just get your head/hands in there, and have fun  :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Cvans, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 08:04 AM

Yep, I got a lopsided head :D

• Cvans said thank you

#14 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Got some fair time in yesterday. My boy Mike and I got to take advantage of what was a beautiful, and unusually warm, late January day. Sunny and about 50, working in a long sleeve shirt with the shop doors open. Mike was mounting and wiring up his new winch on his Suzue, and I tinkered on the B6.

My mind got pulled in several directions. But I managed to fab up a new connecting bracket for the side cover corner I repaired.

IMG_20170122_135242_zpsw5c7ru5t.jpg?1485

Somewhere midstream I got caught up in wanting to see what things under the hood would look like shined up. It was pretty gritty when I got it.

IMG_20161120_105645_zpstpdyaadk.jpg?1485

I took the battery out, cleaned the tray, made a mat out of treadmill belt(this stuff is gold, really durable, makes great toolbox draw liners too!) and generally cleaned/shined the engine area.

IMG_20170122_124957_zpsczuaakuz.jpg?1485

Learned a little trick on the radiator hose. I tried cleaning it with straight degreaser, but while it did take the sludge off slowly, it made for a pasty, sticky mess. Eventually, I took a piece of 0000 steel wool soaked with degreaser and scrubbed it gently. The stuff melted and wiped right off! Then I put on a couple squirts of Mike's fancy tire shine stuff, and that puppy glistened. :dancingbanana:

IMG_20170122_124818_zpsfpwqnyys.jpg?1485

You can see the new mat under the battery. Also, because I don't like metal against metal or rattling, I cut a piece of sticky backed dense foam on the bed for the air box. Shortened the two battery cables and improved the ground. Also blew out the radiator.........it was packed with dry grass and dust. You can see through it now.

IMG_20170122_125052_zpszp8nlswh.jpg?1485

Now I was going full blown "Hazel". All this shiny metal was spurring me on, so I grabbed the hood and cleaned the underside. Took a bit, but it really showed the original paint/stickers off nice. Also showed me I have a lot of dents to fix. A LOT.

IMG_20170122_143816_zpskjocq9n6.jpg?1485

This pic was taken late in the day. Started clouding up, and temps starting dropping towards late afternoon. Overall, a somewhat productive day, but Mike and I got to enjoy a really pretty day tinkering and planning. Good stuff :thumbs:

IMG_20170122_143802_zpslitbhsps.jpg?1485

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 6 others have said thanks

#15 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 10:06 AM

We also had a nice day up here! Your hard work shows Ellis! Nice to clean them up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • tiretrx said thank you