9 replies to this topic

#1 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • Member No: 85672
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:29 PM

Background:

I have a home-built riding snowblower that I purchased last summer. The blower stuff works quite well and it has a relatively new 18hp Honda twin, but the lawn tractor it was built on has a couple of problem assemblies. I haven't found anything to help me identify the make or model of the lawn tractor, but from the looks of some of the components, I'm fairly certain it is old enough that parts would not be available even if I new it's lineage.

The tractor chassis is used in reverse - the blower mounts in front of the drive wheels & it steers at the rear. The Honda is a horizontal shaft engine with a double belt drive to the blower drive shaft and another belt to a right-angle gearbox. A V-belt runs from the vertical shaft of the right-angle drive to the input shaft on top of the hydrostatic transmission.

The input shaft on the gearbox is badly worn. I've repaired it a few times this winter, but each repair only holds for a few hours. My next move would be to machine the shaft down to .5" and either source a new bearing to match or machine a shim that fits the existing bearing. But in addition to the gearbox issues, the hydro trans is just about finished. I have a 1/4 mile driveway to clear, and after the trans gets good and hot, I can barely climb a couple of relatively easy slopes in my driveway, even with the blower disengaged.

I started looking at ebay hydro transmissions and spotted a couple of Cub Cadet shaft drive units. The light-bulb came on: I could eliminate both of my problems with a shaft drive trans! Unfortunately, the CC 2145 and 2146 transmissions (probably the same trans for two closely related models) are very tall, and the driveshaft for the blower runs right on top of the transmission.

Is anyone aware of other tractors that used shaft drive transmissions? I'd rather have a hydrostatic trans - I find myself varying the pace of the snowblower quite a lot. The CC transmission looks like I might be able to run the blower driveshaft on one side of the transmission/rear axle assembly, just above the axle, but that would require building a new chassis and relocating the jackshaft on top of the blower assembly. I have the equipment and skills to do that, but if it comes to that, I should probably just buy a PTO snowblower for my Chinese diesel compact tractor.

Any ideas for other shaft drive transmissions, or an affordable right-angle gearbox?

Edited by mbrandt1402, January 17, 2017 - 06:32 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Some pics would help in finding a solution to the issue.

• Bruce Dorsi and Cvans have said thanks

#3 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 08:16 PM

20170117_162623.jpg

This and a couple of other pics are in the Gallery: http://gardentractor...0170117-162623/ along with captions that describe how power gets from the rear engine to the trans and the snowblower.

For those of you with sharp eyes (& minds), the Hoosier slick in the lower left corner is on my race car, not the snowblower.

Edited by mbrandt1402, January 17, 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• ducky, Bruce Dorsi and KennyP have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 06:30 AM

Wow! Someone went to a lot of work making that. So it's the right angle gear box that has the bushing issue? Any older shaft drive hydro will be tall and probably not work with that chassis. That look to be an LT with those small drive tires.

#5 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 04:37 PM

More of a shaft issue that I might fix with a bushing, but that right angle drive is, IMHO, the irreplaceable part. And yes, I'm fairly certain it was "just" a lawn tractor.

The good news is that the last repair has held at least 4x longer than previous efforts. I used the blower for about 3 more hours this morning and I've now run 4 tanks of gas through it since the last repair. I worked in manufacturing and we tracked MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). Without an hour meter, I've been judging MTBF by tanks of gas. For awhile I thought the only way I was going to improve my wonky MTBF calculation was to install a smaller gas tank!

The hydro trans slipped quite badly today. I had to back up a slight incline when I was done this morning. I may try a heavier oil to get me through to the end of Feb (end of our snow season). If the right angle drive is still working, I'll find a trans to swap in over the summer.

Edited by mbrandt1402, January 18, 2017 - 04:38 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 24 Thanks
  • 96 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 04:19 PM

U might try Surplus Warehouse in  Lincoln Nebraska. I bought a new Spicer hydro from them for  $250 + shipping. It has

a vertical  input shaft with a cooling fan. I put it in my Troybuilt riding   mower instead of a 5 speed Stick. Get a catalog from

www.surpluscenter.com.

• KennyP and mbrandt1402 have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 05:50 PM

U might try Surplus Warehouse in  Lincoln Nebraska. I bought a new Spicer hydro from them for  $250 + shipping. It has

a vertical  input shaft with a cooling fan. I put it in my Troybuilt riding   mower instead of a 5 speed Stick. Get a catalog from

www.surpluscenter.com.

I think this one is what you are referring to.

#8 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 07:31 PM

That Peerless trans looks like it is a relatively low profile. Thanks for the info!

I have a Craftsman LT1000, and there are a couple of transmissions on ebay. Having a trans here to measure for fitment is pretty handy. I think I'll evaluate it first.

#9 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 21, 2017 - 02:21 AM

I found a tag on the trans: Sundstrand (now Power Gear?) BDU-10S-116. A little sleuthing turned up an online repair manual and listings for a seal kit, internal filter & perhaps the piston & block assembly.

The manual was quite helpful & included troubleshooting steps. Since there is only one pump & one motor, and the trans works far better in reverse than forward, I have some hope that I might find a problem with a check valve or in the swash-plate control. I'll be tearing the trans down tomorrow.

Thanks again to Big John for the surpluscenter.com info. That site is a great resource! I found a right angle drive in their bargain section that can probably be adapted.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 06, 2017 - 01:53 AM

I thought I would post an update on this.

After finding the online manual for the hydrostatic assembly (the BDU-10S-116), I pulled it apart, cleaned everything, re-assembled and filled it with the recommended fluid. I had a quart of 40 wt Redline racing synthetic motor oil (which behaves like a 10w40 and is non-detergent) in my race trailer. I also replaced the blade-less fan hub with a fan adapted from my stash of Mazda Miata parts. The trans still makes more noise than I would like, but it will run for hours without any problems.

This is a big win: the last time I used the snowblower before the deep cleaning and restoration of the cooling fan, I had to have my wife steer while I pushed the snowblower in order to finish clearing the last few yards of our 1200' driveway.

• KennyP said thank you