• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 927 Thanks
  • 708 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 03:11 PM

I went into a local ace hardware store a while back. It had a small engine shop in it. I needed a 391681 bs diaphram.i forgot the model,spec number but I knew the part number. The guy told me he couldn't help me without it.i told him to turn around and grab one off the wall display. I know I should have had the numbers but this guy didn't know crap about small engines ,I think it's the same case in some shops they either don't know crap about the old stuff or they don't want to bother with them.anyway I say pull the head off and take a look take pics and put them on here if something don't seem right,someone here will know something.it will be a good start on experience if you don't have any yet
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,863 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 04:33 PM

I'd make a game out of it to see how fast I could retrieve my mower and get it away from that guy. 

:ditto:   You will be paying that guy to LEARN, at YOUR expense.  ....Under those terms it will be expensive !!

As said previously, valves rarely bend on these Wisconsin engines, so this guy is blowing smoke up your butt.  ...Especially since he didn't remove the head and is just guessing.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#18 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,184 Thanks
  • 743 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'd pull the motor from him before your get a huge bill and no repairs out of it. I've heard several horror stories in situations like this and they never end well for the customer!

• LPBolens, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#19 BRIAN EK7&10 ONLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 169 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 05:52 PM

sounds more like an ignition problem more than a mechanical failure, losing power and then popping of back firing could be as simple as points and condenser.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#20 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 05:52 PM

The only way to be in this hobby is to learn to do it yourself.  That's most of the fun anyhow.

As far as the mechanics go I empathize with them a bit.  A number of years ago my father-in-law had an engine failure on his push mower and asked me to look at it.  The parts were more than a replacement engine which was more than going to Home Depot and buying a new mower.  The mechanics aren't going to get an opportunity to learn a serious repair when replacement is usually the cheaper option.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#21 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,039 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'd make a game out of it to see how fast I could retrieve my mower and get it away from that guy. 

Good call   Don

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Little Irish Men and 1 other said thanks

#22 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 808 Thanks
  • 465 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 08:08 PM

O k  .  . .  .. you guys are the best ! ! !  I am going to call him in the morning and tell him to leave it alone . He has already  showed he   don't  know what is  wrong with the "bent valve " B .S  . I  guess I am going to learn a little about repairing small engines

Patrick. 

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#23 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,979 Thanks
  • 3,290 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 08:08 PM

I think you do know your azz from a hole in the grown, problum is they don't, and this is the best wed site for tractors ingines even help with oter stuff. :smilewink:

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,952 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 08:10 PM

If you werent so far away I'd work on it for you :D

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#25 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 336 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 09:28 PM

O k  .  . .  .. you guys are the best ! ! !  I am going to call him in the morning and tell him to leave it alone . He has already  showed he   don't  know what is  wrong with the "bent valve " B .S  . I  guess I am going to learn a little about repairing small engines

Patrick.

I am a carpenter by trade and have very little mechanical experience prior to my bolens hobby. With the help I have found here and some basic understanding I have fixed every problem I have encounter big and small. I am now confident in any task my tractors or other machines may bring me.
I am sure you can do it too.
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#26 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 4,702 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 10:23 PM

Patrick. 

When you talk to the fellow,  Kiss his rear end for just a bit.  I say this because he is more than likely to present a bill for his time.  The fact that he didn't spend any time is irrelevant.

Tell him you asked around online and people are telling you he is absolutely correct - that its not worth fixing.  This is mearly an attempt to get your bill down to as low as possible.  Tell him you appreciate his expertise,  really ham it up.  Tell him you have found a charity to donate the tractor to - or maybe a neighborhood kid wants a tractor and has an 8 horse Briggs engine he wants to cobble on to have a go-cart.  If this guy sells new mowers look at them.  Act interested.  Tell him you might just buy a new one from him.  Bite your time until the mower is back in your possession, in your pickup or on your trailer, and he has presented the bill for his time. 

When you are all settled up, let the guy know what a real piece of work he is.  Let him know you are his newest best advertisement about how he treats customers and their "old" power equipment. 

My grandpa used to say "I advertise big for those that treat me right and I advertise even bigger for those that do me wrong".

When you get it home, post pictures, let us know what its doing and we will help you through it. 

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1050