• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 817 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:45 AM

Took my 1050 to a repair shop , they say in has no compression and that it might be a bent vale . And he go's on to say that parts are to hard to fine, and the engine is to old to used on a daily bases . My question is , are parts that hard to fine ?  And can the Wisconsin engine be " wore out" ? It was running  fine till that day it just quite .Any and all thoughts  and  opinions  or ideals  will be helpful. 

Thank you

Patrick.    

• Bolens 1000 and Xrperry have said thanks

#2 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 403 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:51 AM

Most valve system problems are relatively inexpensive to repair.  Parts are available, although not inexpensive.  Check with our site sponsors.

I'd recommend repairing (or at least diagnosing the problem by removing the head) rather than jumping to re-powering or other alternatives.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 11:51 AM

I dont think the guy has seen or dealt with many of these motors, many parts are still available from the manufacture and I still stock just about every part for this series engine to do a rebuild.

Hard to diagnose the engine without being there but what did it do when it quit? I have never experienced many

bent valves on these TR/TRA series motors, does your shop know the TRA10D has a Compression release and will read low on a compression tester?

I would pull the cylinder head and see what things look like on the top end

I guess I should throw out my motors since they are "too old" I guess I shouldnt be mowing, tilling and snowblowing with them on a regular basis! :rolling:

• Gtractor, MH81, LPBolens and 10 others have said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 817 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:05 PM

I was just mowing the grass and it started to loose power i stop the tractor and then then the mower . And then a pop like a back fire and it stop running. I told the

repair guy that I have a Miniman of two suppliers for parts . And I told him to pull the head and lets see what's what. So now I will call him  again and let

know what you all say .

Thank you

Patrick.

• Xrperry said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:07 PM

If it just stopped like that maybe a valve seat came out or a valve guide wore down to the point where the valve is not seating properly.

• boyscout862 and Xrperry have said thanks

#6 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 971 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:14 PM

i just took a throttle butterfly screw out of a exaust valve on a john deere stx38, maybe thats what happend

• boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#7 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,200 Thanks
  • 2,880 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:23 PM

I dont think the guy has seen or dealt with many of these motors, many parts are still available from the manufacture and I still stock just about every part for this series engine to do a rebuild.

Hard to diagnose the engine without being there but what did it do when it quit? I have never experienced many

bent valves on these TR/TRA series motors, does your shop know the TRA10D has a Compression release and will read low on a compression tester?

I would pull the cylinder head and see what things look like on the top end

I guess I should throw out my motors since they are "too old" I guess I shouldnt be mowing, tilling and snowblowing with them on a regular basis! :rolling:

I seen a few mowers come in my shop from other shops and they always tell people they need new engines. In fact I fixed a rider for someone that the other shop told her it needed a new engine and would put a new one on for $2,200 engine and labor.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,200 Thanks
  • 2,880 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:25 PM

And this where a leakdown tester come in handy .

• Bolens 1000, MH81, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#9 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like the shop only wants to work on the easy stuff. Repairing the older machines requires more time and analytical knowledge than doing quick tuneup type repairs on the new machines. I had a friend who took a small engine course in the late 80s. They told him if he pulled a carburetor and found a spot of corrosion replace it. The reasoning being, the customer had to pay for it any way, if you clean and adjust you may miss something and have it returned which makes you look bad. They also told him the money is in working on the newest machines possible and try to specialize so you can stock fewer parts. A machine sitting waiting for parts is taking up shop space and loosing you money.  I have been in many shops where the mechanics didn't know much more than me and that is just sad. Don       

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,920 Thanks
  • 4,825 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'd make a game out of it to see how fast I could retrieve my mower and get it away from that guy. 

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#11 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 817 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:52 PM

I am getting that feeling that is the Problum . If it is not a B / S engine or snapper or the other brand names they don't went to work on them .

this is the second "repair shop" I taking it to and the same old song and dance .

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Xrperry have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,182 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 01:13 PM

This is one of the problems in our hobby and many others that deal with older items. The lack of knowledgeable, willing, and honest mechanics is everywhere now. You really need to learn to do it yourself. Most of the special tools will pay for themselves in one or two repairs. Download the specific manual for your engine. Check for the troubleshooting section and read it. If your manual does not have a troubleshooting section, download a Briggs and Stratton Repairmans' Manual and use their Troubleshooting section. Ask questions(with pics) as you need help. If you are nervous about working on your Wisconsin as a first project(which shows that you care), pick up a freebie lawn mower and play with it. Good Luck, Rick
  • Bolens 1000, Alc, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#13 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 01:56 PM

I think there's enough Bolens owners here that would say that the engine can be repaired fairly cheaply. In my opinion, if the tractor have served you well over the years, then a rebuild of the engine is a small price to pay and probably a damn sight cheaper than buying a new modern GT. Most horticultural machinery places will rather sell you a new one than deal with the repair. This is true of older cars too I am sorry to say.
  • blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, Little Irish Men and 1 other said thanks

#14 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • 817 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 02:07 PM

That's one thing  i hate is the mechanics talk to me like i dont know my #@$%^ from an hole in the grown .  And that i have the best wed site for small engine info

and resource for parts.

Patrick. 

• Gtractor and Xrperry have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,920 Thanks
  • 4,825 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 02:33 PM

I wish you weren't 4 hours away.  I could look at it and tell whats going on - maybe even fix it if I had the time. 

• boyscout862, Little Irish Men, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1050