• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DerpyFish01 OFFLINE  

DerpyFish01
  • Member No: 83561
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hello! :wave:  I'm posting this today because well, iv'e got nothing better to do and I need some info and also would like some advice for working on it this summer. 1st The info. This sears appears to be early 70s-late 80s. Its been sitting outside for who knows how long. It still has the original motor on it. the belts probably shot. It still has the deck. I'm going to remove that when I get it home this spring. I think this summer i'm going to be a semi teardown (as in take out the motor, pullys rear end shroud.) and wash them. I'm obviously going to change all fluids, new spark, ungum the carb. I'll try to start the engine this summer. Anyways, Here are the pictures. I'm sorry I didn't get more angles. Also iv'e done searching on sears direct and I can't seem to find the tractor on their site. IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1376.JPG P.S: im sorry the photos are sideways, I took a photo of them with my phone horizontal but something's being butthurt.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 12:00 PM

The forum turns pictures coming off of phones, not sure why.

that looks like an early 80's Murray built machine to me.

• DerpyFish01 said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 01:18 PM

The absolute very first thing you want to do when you get your hands on it is pull the spark plug and get some lubricant on the top end.  I just use penetrating oil but others have their own home-made concoctions they prefer.  After a day or two of pulling the deck etc. turn the engine over carefully by hand.

#4 DerpyFish01 OFFLINE  

DerpyFish01
  • Member No: 83561
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 03:04 PM

The absolute very first thing you want to do when you get your hands on it is pull the spark plug and get some lubricant on the top end.  I just use penetrating oil but others have their own home-made concoctions they prefer.  After a day or two of pulling the deck etc. turn the engine over carefully by hand.

Ok. So basically after 2 days of putting some penetrating oil in, carefully turn the engine over letting the oil leech in. ok thanks!

Edited by DerpyFish01, January 17, 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 05:39 PM

The idea is that if there is some surface rust in the cylinder you loosen it and lubricate it so you don't break rings.

#6 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 02:54 PM

DerpyFish01,
some quick trivia:
on here somewhere is a list of sears suppliers's prefixes...
the 502 prefix says it's a Murray, which were "a-few-dollars-less" tractors,
the 917 prefix, by Roper, were "a few-dollars-more" tractors

-  these same units also had a lot of other names, AgWay, Huskee, Lawn Chief, etc.,

-  all the Murray units had vertical engines,

-  transmissions in the GT series was a 3 speed, with a lo-hole, [no hi-lo], OR, also called a 4 speed

-  not quite as tough in some ways as the Roper units, but were very capable of "ground-engaging" work, [moldboard plow]

-  sears 3 point and sleeve hitches would bolt right on, occasionally might have to drill a hole...

-  IIRC, the last of them were about '89 - '90, 'cause about that time, AYP did a re-design of their tractors line, thus began to build pretty much all of the sears tractors, lawn & gt, from then on for a few years

here are a couple links, will help with the belt routings and electrical diagrams...
@ Sears, no manual, only parts diagram, 5 pages here:
Model #502257043 CRAFTSMAN Lawn, Tractor

@ Sears, no manual, only parts diagram, 8 pages here:
Model #502253760 CRAFTSMAN Lawn, Tractor

-  you can also search for a Murray GT16 - the '70s models,
as well as Murray GT18 - the '80s models, a 2 hp bigger engine in these, otherwise same unit

-  might check out M.O.W., Murray Owners World.com, lot of info there, should have an owners manual posted there

hope some of that helps you in your searching...

#7 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 95 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted January 20, 2017 - 02:59 PM

these pics are of a '83, 3-39003x92 and a '89, 9-39004x92, I think they're a couple well-kept units...
and, for those "inquiring-minds-want-to-know" - NOOOO, THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE!!!
2017.01.xx_GTtalk_83 Murray_GT18-1a.gif
2017.01.xx_GTtalk_89 Murray_GT18-2b.gif