23 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:27 AM

A little less than a year ago I had terrible sleeping problems, took me forever to fall asleep and if I woke up I would not be able to fall back asleep. My wife and I have had a rough couple years and the worries were building. Anyhow, just recently my wife says, "You have been sleeping a lot better lately." We talked about it for a while and best we can figure out about the time I got my first real GT and started tinkering with them, I started sleeping better. I guess ColdOne's signature is right, "Tractor therapy, cheaper than a shrink."

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:45 AM

There's more truth to this than most people would believe.
  • middleageddeere and KennyP have said thanks

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:57 AM

I think the garden tractors are great therapy. Whether it is to do mechanical work on the, painting or any other tinkering you might be doing. I think using them is the greatest therapy. Cruise around mowing the grass and you can almost feel yourself escaping from the everyday world.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:28 AM

So VERY true! And I am dead serious about it being great for the psyche!

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:50 AM

I think the garden tractors are great therapy. Whether it is to do mechanical work on the, painting or any other tinkering you might be doing. I think using them is the greatest therapy. Cruise around mowing the grass and you can almost feel yourself escaping from the everyday world.

I've been doing this for years now.Its more relaxing then one realizes,we'd better not let it be know just how relaxing this is otherwise more people will start doing this and then look out it'll be very hard to find and buy more for us to relax with.LOL Larry

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Everyone needs a "get out of your head" hobby. I'm glad that Gt's are mine and thousands of others. Thats why I love this forum. I can work on my tractors and forget for awhile, everything that is weighing heavy on me.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Before my newest addiction, we had had a few issues here. Never been one with super deep pockets, but someone had "short-sheeted" them. Found myself surly all the time. Now it's a lot better! Kids can still drive me up the wall, but that's part of their charm. My wife's only real complaint right now is how much time I spend with the tractors versus her. LOL... You'd think she'd be grateful for that :laughingteeth:
  • Texas Deere and Horse, middleageddeere and KennyP have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 12:49 PM

If the tractors is good for sleeping, than why am I up half the night lol. I like the hobby on it's good days, but when it has it's rough days, I go crazy... Hobbies are great, but when they go bad, they go worse... I have the Caterpillar apart from when my better (the joys of running new wires) went bad (fried the magneto when I went to start it). See what I mean, 2 steps forward, 6 steps back! The part of the hobby that makes it all worth it is... the people. If it weren't for great people like you guys, I wouldn't continue this hobby in the magnitude I am in, well ok, mabey I'm lying about the magnitude lol.
  • middleageddeere, KennyP and tractorgarden have said thanks

#9 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:15 PM

I see can your point Casey and I have had those moments, but for me at least, they are few and far between. For the most part I love fixing, tinkering, inventing, cleaning, using and just plain admiring all of the time.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:33 PM

I said those not to discourage anyone from enjoying the hobby, cause we all have those moments. Last year I had so many of them I was about to sell 'em all and buy a brand new Kubota! The three most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me are as follows: The buying, the tinkering, and the using. It's the repairing the when they break down I don't care for... One year I had 6 functioning tractors, within a month I had only 2 left, because every week one would break down... and those times push me to my limits where I yell and scream and throw tools down (never throw them up or across). I have to step away from the tractors for a few days sometimes just to regain my passion. I always go back for one thing though, the social element. Without the show and tell part or the BS sessions the hobby would not be very enjoyable for me, and I wouldn't take the bad times with the good.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:34 PM

Casey, once you have it fixed correctly, you'll be very happy. I have unusual sleep habits. If I wake in the middle of the night, my mind goes to thinking what I am going to do once daylight gets here. Hard to get back to sleep then.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:44 PM

You always think that, but it always needs something. I am considering taking George up on one of his offers though, drop the Case 444 off at his shop one of these days for a tune up. :D If I have to do the tune up it will never get done with my list of other tractors I have to get working. I really have to get my projects done, I keep buying the tires for them but I never get them mounted up until a year later lol. You would think the man with the tire obsession (me) would be better about that lol.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Now I have 3 GTs, 1 full size MF, and 2 Gravely Ls, all of them need work to some degree. I am happy with my herd now, I am not cruzing CL and ebay for the next "greta score". I am cruzing for parts. I am going to focus on getting them "right" over the next couple of years. It is nice to have a big herd, but when they all need someting done to them it just isnt worth trying to find another broken one. I have one GT that i can jump and go with (1855), and One gravely that is like I want it. All of them will move under their own power but none are working correctly. I believe that i am going to focus on the D160 and get it usable, then get it working correctly, then possably a restore. It will be the same with the new 1650. There is no hurry at this time, I will do it at my pace and not become over loaded. Its easy to have too many irons in the fire and not enjoy the hobby.
  • middleageddeere and tractorgarden have said thanks

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:19 PM

My shrink has been calling, and asking where she can buy a Gt.:D

But seriously, I find it very relaxing, and satisfying to have this hobby.

#15 Norwood EYE OFFLINE  

Norwood EYE

• Member No: 1994
  • 4 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Casey, I feel your pain Brother, I have a restore project in the wings just waiting for me to devote all my resources into, but everytime I get ready to get on it, something on my working tractor needs attention. My philosophy is that I HAVE to have ONE good running machine at all times, it can't let me down.

The restores and the fixer uppers have to take a back seat to that one machine being ready to go when I need it. Even though it means having to completely re-outfit and set it up for different duties a few times a week, example Mow, then drop the deck, hang the front weights, install the sleeve hitch, turn ground with the moldboard, switch out the tiller, plumb that hydraulic lines for the tiller, work the garden soil, undo everything, and rehang the mower deck in time to catch up with the fast growing lawn.....then do it all over again when a neighbor asks for help on their garden plot. The only fun time is seat time when it gets that hectic.

Eventually I will have a dedicated machine for every job, but I have to keep that one running no matter what.