2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  MGP59DB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Cvans and Traill95
#10 ·
The easy way to make money - buy low - sell HIGH

#11 ·
The only epidemic 'here' is the collecting bug that bites the vast majority of us. Lots of overpriced pieces on CL, most stay in their owners possession at prices like that, lots of reasons as to why the price. Most logical reason IMO is misinformed.
My opinion is on how you want to look at it, disbelief on what their asking, or incredible disbelief if they get it as in what the JD NOS patio seat went for. As a GT collector I'll pay whatever I want for a piece if I want and can afford it, not caring if I'm artificially inflating the price market of said piece, my collection, my money. I've been caught up in the oft vilified ebay bidding wars, some you win, some you lose, some you drive up the going price. HOWEVER I give credence to the fact if a piece goes for a specific amount (deemed to much by others) and has now set the going price it will draw the ire of others looking for the same piece.
I said it before I'll say it again when the day comes to sell most with decent collections will be hoping for bull market. And I'm venturing to guess the average age of this forum might be north of 50 therefore begs to reason whether we intended to or not our investment into the hobby will be heading for downsizing or liquidation sooner or later and I hope the next generation of collectors sort thru it, pay premium for the nice stuff and pieces they desire and can poke disbelief at exuberant prices like has been done here, part of the hobby in my opinion.

#12 ·
Too many whats it worth threads????
I'm in the other camp.... not enough. When someone does ask a legitimate WIW question, all they get is ...it depends on location, or it's worth what you can sell it for. Auction prices are close to a true value of these, not some crazy asking price on CL or Ebay. Scrap price did drive the value up, but that time has passed and the price of replacement parts has gone way up, which makes the non runner/ fixer upper worth less than they were 10 years ago. Good running LTs are going for stupid prices around here. What was a $250 machine 10 years ago, sells for $450 now. That is close to half of the new price when bought 20 years ago.

Reactions: dropped82
#13 ·
I might as well put my thoughts out there also,I agree that the what's it's worth threads are a good learning tool,I hear some guys say you need to do some research if you want to know what's it's worth,well if we didn't have this type of question being asked,how do you know,you need opin ions to get an idea of what's it's worth,some prices will be out of hand,some prices will be low ballers who want it for nothing,but at least you will be able to average it out and get a basic idea of value,as for replacement parts as they dry up and don't get reproduced the prices will go up,not much we can do about that,as a supplier I do my best to keep stuff within reason and not take advantage of others,I like to sleep at night,this is just my thoughts,hope the hobby can survive

#14 ·
I dont understand the guys that dont want to talk about what a GT is worth. Close as I can figure is: 1 they are buying and want to keep the prices low 2.they are selling and want to keep the prices high 3. they dont want to find out they payed too much for the one they just bought or 4. they dont know and wont admit it.

They do have a KBB kind of thing for GTs, LTs and ZTRs that the stealerships use for trade-ins and setting the price for used equipment, and I think that is where some of the inflated prices are coming from. A 20 year old LT for sale at a mower shop is high because they have time and money invested in them. Joe the plumber decides he needs a new mower and prices his ragged out rider the same as what the shop wants for theirs, but its apples and oranges and most people wont find out the difference until it is too late.

#15 ·
I dont understand the guys that dont want to talk about what a GT is worth.
Because there is no Blue Book. . . And there is no Big Auction House. There is only the condition of the tractor (which can vary from NOS in crate to junk sitting in the tall grass) and how bad do you want it. It is entirely subjective depending on the individual and his geography. In view of all of that, do I want to be responsible for giving out bad advise? Nope!

#16 ·
nobody is willing to put a price on anything.

Just to pick a random tractor for an example.. Sears SS16, all original, needs battery, ran when parked 3 years ago, needs tires, no attachments, no deck.

Buying price for me...$50, selling price in same condition $150 with room for the guys that like to argue about the price.

After you get that one home and get it running good and replace the tires, battery, belts, fuel line, clean and adjust the carb, change all the fluids and any other thing that needs it, you will lose money selling at $400. Paint it all up to show quality and it is still a $400 tractor.

I agree there are is a wide range for used equipment, and nothing can replace a good old tire kicking, but when a guy asks a ball park price for buying or selling a specific GT, it is almost like it gets into the politics and religion territory that nobody can talk about.

#17 ·
I own 100+ Garden tractors I never made a what its worth thread. :thumbs: :deadhorse:

#18 ·
obviously you are a buyer and not a seller.

Most of the WIW posts are from new guys getting into the hobby to get an idea of what they should pay for a GT or people trying to set a fair price for one they inherited.

The common answer is "what someone will pay for it" then they laugh at the guy that puts a $3,000 price tag on it. If one does sell for $3,000, does that make the rest of them worth that much?

#19 ·
obviously you are a buyer and not a seller.
Most of the WIW posts are from new guys getting into the hobby to get an idea of what they should pay for a GT or people trying to set a fair price for one they inherited.
The common answer is "what someone will pay for it" then they laugh at the guy that puts a $3,000 price tag on it. If one does sell for $3,000, does that make the rest of them worth that much?
My point exactly,why not try to help a guy out new into the hobby,or enlighten them on the going prices,or approximate value,I thought the idea of these forums was to help when asked,and provide some knowledge when asked

#20 ·
I own 100+ Garden tractors I never made a what its worth thread. :thumbs: :deadhorse:
And good for you, HOWEVER not everyone getting into the hobby has your back ground, you stated your Dad's a gearhead, I believe wrenching for a living? Race cars, wrenching,tuning,repairing , hell you probably preferred the smell of gasoline at age 5 over the smell hot chocolate, I'm sure you leaned on somebody , Dad? for advice on some purchases , early on maybe ?
Circumstances and surroundings dictate so many things, a mechanical background included. It doesn't mean you'll naturally follow Dad's interests but more often than not most of us did.
Some do not benefit from being in the know, like you are. Some actually have no idea but have an interest and want to dip into the hobby asking the experts here for guidance. I believe we collectively will give the best, which ever side of the debate your on.

Soooooo there will ALWAYS be the division of the house here, I'm on the give the best informed advice based on all scenarios side and let the chips fall were they may when I post my opinion.

You stated once agree to disagree and don't disrespect, you'll always be entitled to your opinion and us ours. Keep that thought ,but you gained and posess the ability to ascertain values bases on your back ground and cumulative purchases , those starting or looking may do not. Peace

#21 ·
I'm not a fan of what's it worth questions for a few reasons. I get the feeling that most of the time the people asking aren't into the hobby for the enjoyment of it but trying to find another way to make money.
Another reason a lot of the time it leads to mouth brawls. It is a subjective market. Prices depend on several factors.
Overall though prices seem to have skyrocketed over the last 10-15 years and while I guess it was and is to be expected,I'm not a fan of the much higher overall prices of tractors,parts,accessarys,and attachments that we have at this point.

#24 ·
I have made WIW posts to find out what a fair price would be for tractors that came to my attention , I don't want to overpay for something I know little about.

I appreciated all of the responses . It helped me make informed decisions where I would have been less in the know of what to look for with say a Bolens or something.

The tractors I have ... meh- I payed what I felt OK with and have a lot into them . They are a joy to me and in this life that's all I can ask .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262804021715?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now take this one for example , It has my attention . The starting bid $400 is about what I feel is a good price , and I want a 1961 DB suburban , If I bid ..someone outbids and the price goes up . I would have to drive all day to get it if I won , or make arrangements.

Is it worth it ? Maybe , I'll wait and see.

When I see an overpriced thing I just look for other things.

#25 ·
I have made WIW posts to find out what a fair price would be for tractors that came to my attention , I don't want to overpay for something I know little about.
I appreciated all of the responses . It helped me make informed decisions where I would have been less in the know of what to look for with say a Bolens or something.
The tractors I have ... meh- I payed what I felt OK with and have a lot into them . They are a joy to me and in this life that's all I can ask .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262804021715?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Now take this one for example , It has my attention . The starting bid $400 is about what I feel is a good price , and I want a 1961 DB suburban , If I bid ..someone outbids and the price goes up . I would have to drive all day to get it if I won , or make arrangements.
Is it worth it ? Maybe , I'll wait and see.
When I see an overpriced thing I just look for other things.
your watching that one too! don't worry I am not bidding on it. one of these is enough. I think it's fair priced. I have only seen a handful of these in my area. but again in other posts and sites consider these 200 dollar tractors

#26 ·
I'm not a fan of what's it worth questions for a few reasons. I get the feeling that most of the time the people asking aren't into the hobby for the enjoyment of it but trying to find another way to make money.
My thoughts exactly , how many members have we seen over the years on all forums join with one "whats it worth" thread and then once it sells you never see them again, they use your resources and collector input for free on how much they can bankroll on that tractor they found in a barn or in grandpas garage, which really aggravates me, I'm all for capitalism but not for helping someone who just uses you for $$.

To me the hobby is about getting to meet other members who enjoy old iron and preserving history on these old machines, I have no problem helping place a value for a collector or enthusiast who is beginning a hobby but I do so in private as so many factors are involved on each pricing situation.

When $$ becomes the main objective I will get out of the hobby, I restored a handful of machines from the ground up and spent much more than what the machine would ever sell for but I dont let that bother me as that's not why I collect and restore these machines.

:firejumper: :firejumper: :angel: :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.