32 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,878 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 04:03 PM

nobody is willing to put a price on anything.

Just to pick a random tractor for an example.. Sears SS16, all original, needs battery, ran when parked 3 years ago, needs tires, no attachments, no deck.

Buying price for me...$50, selling price in same condition $150 with room for the guys that like to argue about the price. 

After you get that one home and get it running good and replace the tires, battery, belts, fuel line, clean and adjust the carb, change all the fluids and any other thing that needs it, you will lose money selling at $400. Paint it all up to show quality and it is still a $400 tractor.

I agree there are is a wide range for used equipment, and nothing can replace a good old tire kicking, but when a guy asks a ball park price for buying or selling a specific GT, it is almost like it gets into the politics and religion territory that nobody can talk about.

• dropped82 said thank you

#17 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 5,471 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 05:43 PM

I own 100+ Garden tractors I never made a what its worth thread.   :thumbs:  :deadhorse:

• dropped82 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,878 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:01 PM

obviously you are a buyer and not a seller.

Most of the WIW posts are from new guys getting into the hobby to get an idea of what they should pay for a GT or people trying to set a fair price for one they inherited.

The common answer is "what someone will pay for it" then they laugh at the guy that puts a $3,000 price tag on it. If one does sell for $3,000, does that make the rest of them worth that much?

• blackjackjakexxix and dropped82 have said thanks

#19 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,734 Thanks
  • 1,994 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:12 PM

obviously you are a buyer and not a seller.
Most of the WIW posts are from new guys getting into the hobby to get an idea of what they should pay for a GT or people trying to set a fair price for one they inherited.
The common answer is "what someone will pay for it" then they laugh at the guy that puts a $3,000 price tag on it. If one does sell for $3,000, does that make the rest of them worth that much?

My point exactly,why not try to help a guy out new into the hobby,or enlighten them on the going prices,or approximate value,I thought the idea of these forums was to help when asked,and provide some knowledge when asked
  • limebuzz, WrenchinOnIt and dropped82 have said thanks

#20 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:15 PM

I own 100+ Garden tractors I never made a what its worth thread.   :thumbs:  :deadhorse:

And good for you, HOWEVER not everyone getting into the hobby has your back ground, you stated your Dad's a gearhead, I believe wrenching for a living? Race cars, wrenching,tuning,repairing , hell you probably preferred the smell of gasoline at age 5 over the smell hot chocolate, I'm sure you leaned on somebody , Dad? for advice on some purchases , early on maybe ?
Circumstances and surroundings dictate so many things, a mechanical background included. It doesn't mean you'll naturally follow Dad's interests but more often than not most of us did.
Some do not benefit from being in the know, like you are. Some actually have no idea but have an interest and want to dip into the hobby asking the experts here for guidance. I believe we collectively will give the best, which ever side of the debate your on.

Soooooo there will ALWAYS be the division of the house here, I'm on the give the best informed advice based on all scenarios side and let the chips fall were they may when I post my opinion.

You stated once agree to disagree and don't disrespect, you'll always be entitled to your opinion and us ours. Keep that thought ,but you gained and posess the ability to ascertain values bases on your back ground and cumulative purchases , those starting or looking may do not. Peace
  • blackjackjakexxix, farmerall, dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#21 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,569 Thanks
  • 1,298 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:29 PM

I'm not a fan of what's it worth questions for a few reasons. I get the feeling that most of the time the people asking aren't into the hobby for the enjoyment of it but trying to find another way to make money.
Another reason a lot of the time it leads to mouth brawls. It is a subjective market. Prices depend on several factors.
Overall though prices seem to have skyrocketed over the last 10-15 years and while I guess it was and is to be expected,I'm not a fan of the much higher overall prices of tractors,parts,accessarys,and attachments that we have at this point.
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj, dropped82 and 1 other said thanks

#22 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:29 PM

the problem lies with the self proclaimed Internet experts who think just because they own a few they can dictate and comment what they think is the market price across the country.

#23 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,569 Thanks
  • 1,298 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:33 PM

What kinda "super" D is this. Geesh.http://indianapolis....5962453680.html
Eric
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Eric this looks like an extension of the conversation you and I were having a few evenings ago.

#24 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,429 Thanks
  • 687 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:35 PM

I have made WIW posts to find out what a fair price would be for tractors that came to my attention , I don't want to overpay for something I know little about.

I appreciated all of the responses . It helped me make informed decisions where I would have been less in the know of what to look for with say a Bolens or something.

The tractors I have   ... meh- I payed what I felt OK with and have a lot into them . They are a joy to me and in this life that's all I can ask .

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now take this one for example , It has my attention . The starting bid $400 is about what I feel is a good price , and I want a 1961 DB suburban , If I bid ..someone outbids and the price goes up . I would have to drive all day to get it if I won , or make arrangements.

Is it worth it ?  Maybe , I'll wait and see.

When I see an overpriced thing I just look for other things.

#25 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,961 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:44 PM

I have made WIW posts to find out what a fair price would be for tractors that came to my attention , I don't want to overpay for something I know little about.
I appreciated all of the responses . It helped me make informed decisions where I would have been less in the know of what to look for with say a Bolens or something.
The tractors I have ... meh- I payed what I felt OK with and have a lot into them . They are a joy to me and in this life that's all I can ask .
http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Now take this one for example , It has my attention . The starting bid $400 is about what I feel is a good price , and I want a 1961 DB suburban , If I bid ..someone outbids and the price goes up . I would have to drive all day to get it if I won , or make arrangements.
Is it worth it ? Maybe , I'll wait and see.
When I see an overpriced thing I just look for other things.

your watching that one too! don't worry I am not bidding on it. one of these is enough. I think it's fair priced. I have only seen a handful of these in my area. but again in other posts and sites consider these 200 dollar tractors
  • dropped82 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,220 Thanks
  • 17,847 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:44 PM

I'm not a fan of what's it worth questions for a few reasons. I get the feeling that most of the time the people asking aren't into the hobby for the enjoyment of it but trying to find another way to make money.

My thoughts exactly , how many members have we seen over the years on all forums join with one  "whats it worth" thread and then once it sells you never see them again, they use your resources and collector input for free on how much they can bankroll on that tractor they found in a barn or in grandpas garage, which really aggravates me, I'm all for capitalism but not for helping someone who just uses you for $$.

To me the hobby is about getting to meet other members who enjoy old iron  and preserving history on these old machines, I have no problem helping place a value for a collector or enthusiast who is beginning a hobby but I do so in private as so many factors are involved on each pricing situation.

When $$ becomes the main objective I will get out of the hobby, I restored a handful of machines from the ground up and spent much more than what the machine would ever sell for but I dont let that bother me as that's not why I collect and restore these machines.

:firejumper: :firejumper: :angel: :angel:

• rustyoldjunk, WHdbJD, WrenchinOnIt and 5 others have said thanks

#27 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:57 PM

ALL excellent points, but its my take if they come here even if it's for a one time WIW question and they are asking the people in the know, then it looks to me it would serve all the true hobbyist's and or collectors to give an informed opinion to keep the very thing that irks most from happening, 10 guys answer it's worth between x an x. What conclusion will be drawn. No answer leaves one to their own devices

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 17, 2017 - 06:57 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, dropped82 and tater195 have said thanks

#28 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 5,471 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I suggest that you all tell the people what you like to buy it for not what you like to sell it for if you own it.  We keep telling everyone top dollar none of us will be buying anything.   

• rustyoldjunk, dropped82, tater195 and 1 other said thanks

#29 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,878 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 07:22 PM

How many have called on a FSBO with an unreal price to tell them what they are asking is out in right field? I have done that a few times. I share with them what I know about the machine, offer tips, answer questions and they usually thank me for my time and advice and adjust the price accordingly.. 

Edited by tater195, January 17, 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,839 Thanks
  • 8,951 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 07:38 PM

Okay, I have never spent more than $250 for a running Wheel Horse w/ a deck.

• wilberj and dropped82 have said thanks