• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 04:56 PM

FINALLY!  I have been putting off attaching my 54" mower deck to my 1886 for about a year, I guess, maybe more.  First I needed to refresh it.  That was done probably 6-8 months ago.  Then I needed to get the tractor in better shape.  That took a bit of work, stripping down paint, replacing worn parts, FINDING replacement parts, etc.  Ya'll know what I mean.  It took a while.  Then I put on a new ignition switch, replacing the wiring at the same time and using spade connectors to the new switch.  Replaced the fuel pump with a new low pressure electric pump. Hmmm.  It ran before I did all that, but not after.  Holidays were on me by this time and I was a bit discouraged, so I put the 1886 aside and worked on my other Bolens, a 1253.  Yesterday I decided I needed to try the large frame again.  Turned the key and it cranked, but no fire.  Soooo...I moved ONE spade connector on the ignition, and...it started!  Duh.

That got me fired up again, so this morning I took another leap of faith.  Would the hydraulic lift work?  Never tried it before.  Well, it did, so I got busy and began working on attaching the 54" deck.  Yikes, what a puzzle!  I had all the parts, nicely restored, but not on the tractor.  I managed to get the very heavy deck under the tractor and spent a couple of hours working out the parts, but managed to get 'er hooked up.  And the lift did it's job - pulled it right up there.  Decided to give it a trial run on a 1/2 acre of high weeds.  All was going good until...dang - one of the idler pulleys (an original one that I thought was okay) froze up and threw the belt.  Ah, well. Minor set back in the long run.  The big deal for me was - IT RAN!  And IT CUT!  First time for that deck and tractor in probably five years, maybe more.

Gotta replace that idler pulley, but no biggie, but I'm happy!

Pictures when I get the new pullley installed.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 06:08 PM

The big deal for me was - IT RAN!  And IT CUT!  First time for that deck and tractor in probably five years, maybe more.

Awesome!! Good work figuring it all out and getting it installed. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Pictures when I get the new pullley installed.

Yes, eagerly awaiting the pics. :)

Thanks for the post!

Edited by Austen, January 16, 2017 - 08:02 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, bprzyw and SC Farmer have said thanks

#3 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 07:45 PM

Awesome!! Good working figuring it all out and getting it installed. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Yes, eagerly awaiting the pics. :)

Thanks for the post!

Yeah, Austen thanks!  Figuring out the linkage on the deck was, as we say in the South, "a stumper!"  Got 'er done though.

• blackjackjakexxix, Austen and bprzyw have said thanks

#4 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 96 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 10:46 AM

The large frame decks are a beast to maneuver and install.  When my 1250 used to have mowing duties, we used to put blocks behind the back of the deck and drive up over it.  Not sure if you can do that with the 54" deck, but it worked for the 48". 

#5 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 274 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 12:06 PM

The large frame decks are a beast to maneuver and install.  When my 1250 used to have mowing duties, we used to put blocks behind the back of the deck and drive up over it.  Not sure if you can do that with the 54" deck, but it worked for the 48". 

That's what I do with my 1886, chain the 54" deck to a tree, lower the gage wheels and drive over it.

#6 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 12:29 PM

I put the tractor on a concrete pad with the deck next to it.  Hooked a jerk strap to one side of the deck and pulled it through (had to work it a bit to get it around the tires, but it worked okay).  My biggest problem was figuring out which piece went where.  The parts diagram helped, as did the owner's manual.  I also "borrowed" pictures off the internet of decks with all that stuff already attached.  When I got the tractor and deck, it was covered in five years worth of leaves and the parts were not attached, so I had to wing it.

• blackjackjakexxix and bprzyw have said thanks