FINALLY! I have been putting off attaching my 54" mower deck to my 1886 for about a year, I guess, maybe more. First I needed to refresh it. That was done probably 6-8 months ago. Then I needed to get the tractor in better shape. That took a bit of work, stripping down paint, replacing worn parts, FINDING replacement parts, etc. Ya'll know what I mean. It took a while. Then I put on a new ignition switch, replacing the wiring at the same time and using spade connectors to the new switch. Replaced the fuel pump with a new low pressure electric pump. Hmmm. It ran before I did all that, but not after. Holidays were on me by this time and I was a bit discouraged, so I put the 1886 aside and worked on my other Bolens, a 1253. Yesterday I decided I needed to try the large frame again. Turned the key and it cranked, but no fire. Soooo...I moved ONE spade connector on the ignition, and...it started! Duh.
That got me fired up again, so this morning I took another leap of faith. Would the hydraulic lift work? Never tried it before. Well, it did, so I got busy and began working on attaching the 54" deck. Yikes, what a puzzle! I had all the parts, nicely restored, but not on the tractor. I managed to get the very heavy deck under the tractor and spent a couple of hours working out the parts, but managed to get 'er hooked up. And the lift did it's job - pulled it right up there. Decided to give it a trial run on a 1/2 acre of high weeds. All was going good until...dang - one of the idler pulleys (an original one that I thought was okay) froze up and threw the belt. Ah, well. Minor set back in the long run. The big deal for me was - IT RAN! And IT CUT! First time for that deck and tractor in probably five years, maybe more.
Gotta replace that idler pulley, but no biggie, but I'm happy!
Pictures when I get the new pullley installed.