Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Spring like weather in January is causing the Bolens bugs to come out!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 04:43 PM

Well the other day I got bit by then bug and a 1253 ended up in my garage and today I got bit again. Look what came home with me today. I never thought I'd get another one or at least not this soon, but it looks to be all original with the original paint and original decals. The one front tire needs repair but the rear tires are great. It was bought new by the previous owners grandfather and when he passed the tractor just sat in a barn until today. We pulled the tractor out of the barn and using a hoist and a ladder we pulled the sickle bar mower out of the loft in the barn. I was told the tractor is a 56' ride a matic? I took several pictures for everyone to enjoy. One thing I do need help with. Does anyone have a picture of how the sickle mower attaches to the tractor, how it is engaged to run, and how it is lifted? I think I have some rusty seized components for the lift and belt engagement. It appears the arms of the mower hook to a bracket on the foot rests. Those collars I'm assuming are suppose to pivot or turn on the foot rest tube?? Also to engage the sickle mower, it looks like there is a cable that goes to a collar on the left foot rest. The collar has a pedal you push to engage the sickle mower? If I'm correct in my assumptions all 3 of those pieces are seized to the foot rest tubes. Let me know if I'm write or wrong and if there is any tricks to tackle freeing up those parts. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0132.JPG
  • IMG_0137.JPG
  • IMG_0139.JPG
  • IMG_0140.JPG
  • IMG_0142.JPG
  • IMG_0147.JPG
  • IMG_0148.JPG
  • IMG_0152.JPG
  • IMG_0144.JPG
  • IMG_0146.JPG
  • IMG_0149.JPG

• Bolens 1000, ducky, Bud and 16 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,249 Thanks
  • 43,371 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 04:51 PM

Only thing I can help with is freeing up the parts. Invest in some Acetone and ATF. Mix 50/50 in a closed container. It will help free things up.

• ducky, blackjackjakexxix and stiemmy have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,222 Thanks
  • 17,847 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Wow, incredible find!  Thats a 1956 model. What part of NY did this come out of?

I've been looking for a 56' for years!

The tractor looks to be 100% complete and original minus the schanake recoil which was prone to breaking from people pulling the rope too far out and the wire would come out.

The tabs on the foot rests are supposed to free float on the foot rests , some PB blaster and a few wacks with a hammer generally frees them up.

The manuals section should show you how to properly set the wire and belts

http://gardentractor...311-sickle-bar/

but before you get into all the repairs, why not sell it to me??? :D

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, stiemmy and 1 other said thanks

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,957 Thanks
  • 2,238 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Looks like a nice find - "Bolens Bug" addictions can be hard to shake once they take a hold. :(

• blackjackjakexxix and stiemmy have said thanks

#5 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Wow, incredible find! Thats a 1956 model. What part of NY did this come out of?
I've been looking for a 56' for years!

The tractor looks to be 100% complete and original minus the schanake recoil which was prone to breaking from people pulling the rope too far out and the wire would come out.

The tabs on the foot rests are supposed to free float on the foot rests , some PB blaster and a few wacks with a hammer generally frees them up.

The manuals section should show you how to properly set the wire and belts

http://gardentractor...311-sickle-bar/

but before you get into all the repairs, why not sell it to me??? :D

The tractor was at a family camp in Humphrey ny. The grandson lived in Hamburg and the grandfather lived in Eden.

I sprayed those collars up with penetrating oil, I'll have to persuade them with the hammer after a few days of soaking.

If I decide to let the 56' go, you will have 1st dibs on it but I'm really liking the sickle mower!
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#6 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,247 Thanks
  • 756 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 06:12 PM

It was bought new by the previous owners grandfather and when he passed the tractor just sat in a barn until today. We pulled the tractor out of the barn

Does it get any better than that?? Isn't that "the dream" and the way to find these types of machines! Talk about a fun, exciting, adventure all around. Not only you but for the machine too to be found and appreciated. Finding an unmolested machine like that is the way to do it. You are a lucky man, Alfonso! :)

Thanks for posting the pictures and a big consultations on the great find my friend. :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000, fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Austen! I'm one of those collectors that likes a good story behind the tractors I buy. I'm not saying I haven't bought a tractor someone just got a few months ago and they don't have any idea the history of it, but I always ask several questions about the history of the tractor when I inquirer.   Some people buy or collect GT's and just want to know about the tractor's condition and they could care less about it's history, they just look the tractor over, make a deal and leave. I like and enjoy knowing the whole story behind the tractor when I buy one. Some sellers don't like to cooperate, but I try to drag the info out of them every time!

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,686 Thanks
  • 2,064 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 07:27 PM

That's a really nice find! I have to agree that knowing a tractors history is an important part of the hobby. It's great to find a tractor where the owner has had it for many years, and they can tell you stories about it from way back when.
  • blackjackjakexxix, Austen and stiemmy have said thanks

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,841 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 10:27 PM

Nice 56 all the belt guards there sickle mower home run. I thought the schanake recoil was an option ?

Edited by HANKG, January 16, 2017 - 10:30 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and stiemmy have said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,222 Thanks
  • 17,847 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 09:02 AM

Nice 56 all the belt guards there sickle mower home run. I thought the schanake recoil was an option ?

They came standard on the 56'

• blackjackjakexxix, HANKG and stiemmy have said thanks

#11 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,841 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 09:26 AM

They came standard on the 56'

Hey Doc, I saw a Schanake sell on Ebay for 250.00 holy recoil

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,222 Thanks
  • 17,847 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 09:29 AM

I was watching that, but was too much for me to pay LOL :D

The thing is you have to fight the wheel Horse collectors for them as well and those are the ones who pay up for them

#13 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 376 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 03:52 PM

Nice find Al. I have the same sickle bar as you have. I will get the wife to get my Schanake recoil off my tool box and take pics. I had a guy who's well known on the Wheelhorse sites rebuild mine. New wire, repro handle and a few small parts inside and did it for $96.00 with shipping. I didn't even want to go inside that thing with my messed up hands.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#14 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 1,117 Thanks
  • 722 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 06:23 PM

Nice find Al. I have the same sickle bar as you have. I will get the wife to get my Schanake recoil off my tool box and take pics. I had a guy who's well known on the Wheelhorse sites rebuild mine. New wire, repro handle and a few small parts inside and did it for $96.00 with shipping. I didn't even want to go inside that thing with my messed up hands.

The sickle mower looks like it could be fun to use. Whenever you get a chance to get the pictures that's fine, I need to find a recoil 1st, and I've heard that is a fun task!

#15 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 12:23 PM

That is truly a very nice find. To find a complete 61 year old machine unmolested is a great find. The belt guard is usually missing so you did well congrats.