27 replies to this topic

#16 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Sorry, I wouldnt buy any PPG or Dupont. They dont give me a sponsorship on my race car, a paint booth, volume discounts, or advertising. Those prices are absurd and unjustified.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#17 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:12 PM

I at one time did auto body work, and tho changed carrers I have continued to rebuild cars and do my own painting. I have sprayed an all brands also. at this time I use PPG products. tho NAPA DuPont delstar is a very good product. I prefer the PPG and use a hardener and fisheye remover added. get a great finish with some durability. the fisheye remover seems to help it flow better. a light first tack coat helps to let things not run and flow smoother. I also will do a 1/2 clear and paint for the last coat. gives it some depth and shine.

#18 greg86ss OFFLINE  

greg86ss

• Member No: 3732
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Great information from everyone. I am in the process of restoring a tractor and will double think about what to use. Now what about guns, is it worth buying a new gravity feed gun or stick with the old siphon feed one?

#19 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:40 PM

I still use both, but am fast becoming a fan of the gravity feed, they both basically spray the same. I don't buy the expensive ones as i don't use them on a daily basis.
had a 200.00 gun along with a 250.00 inline sander that someone wanted more than me. stole it. so I don't need anything that the cheaper ones can't do.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have a pressure feed HVLP, but I just bought a gravity HVLP and used it once & love it!

#21 Malibusurfer OFFLINE  

Malibusurfer

• Member No: 3503
  • 20 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 11:02 PM

As far as spray guns go, I started out with a siphon feed, but after a few times with a gravity, will never go back!! More paint goes on the metal than in the air with a gravity, therefore in the long run, cheaper IMO. I have spayed with quite a few guns and to be honest, a $500 Iwata/Sata sometimes can be matched with a $50 China knockoff. In fact I have a $50 gravity feed now as my Iwata is down, and it is doing a suprisingly good job. I have shot with Harbor Freight's purple gravity feed ( not sure of the brand, Central Pnumatic I think) and honestly it sprays pretty darn well. You can get decent results! It is my primer gun now..
If you are spraying base/clear urethane or non -metallic single stage urethane or acrylic enamel, you can always cut and buff to a brilliant finish, but I think that may be for another topic :)
There was a acticle in Hot Rod magazine (I think) where some guys painted an entire car with spray bombs to try and get the best finish possible. I was suprised how well it looked!!!
  • Texas Deere and Horse, metalwiz, Justpics and 1 other said thanks

#22 metalwiz OFFLINE  

metalwiz

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1930
  • 10 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 11:49 PM

I'll add a few observations, although this has already been a very informative thread.
1. Most of us don't have the luxury of painting in a ventilated booth, so... pay attention to the temperature and humidity before you shoot. Hot and high humidity will give you orange peel and other undesirable finishes. Too cold will usually glob up on you. Also, try to eliminate any draft blowing right by the work. Microscopic airborne trash somehow manages to grow when it gets on the wet paint! While the light is desirable to see the work, avoid painting in direct sunlight that might heat the work. As several have already noted...sand, wipe, sand, wipe...if youcan feel or see a blemish on bare metal, you can bet it'll still be there with the paint on!

2. I've painted sucessfully with some really cheap guns. The main thing is to get a couple air cap/orifice outfits to fit your gun, and know what they are intended for viscosity wise. Then....practice. I've taught guys to paint using castoff plywood and reduced household latex. Get used to holding the gun at a 90degree angle to the work, and always KEEP IT MOVING! When you stop moving while still spraying , that where the runs come from. If you want any gun to work consistently and well, CLEAN UP immediately! Don't let a wet gun sit!

Also try to keep the air from your compressor dry and oil free by installing the appropriate filter/dryer and separator for your machine! As with Malibu...I don't mind using shakey cans either, for small jobs. Dale

Edited by metalwiz, June 07, 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#23 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 12:35 AM

I agree with metalwiz, you must have dry air, I even have a short (10 ft) hose that I use just before the gun that I put a inline filter on as a secondary backup precaution.
nothing worse than a nice glossy paint job with water spots in it. and shakey cans are great. I use them a lot.

#24 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 04:39 AM

PPG has at least 3 grades of acrylic enamel. I usually use the middle priced one, and while not cheap, it's good paint & not nearly as high as their highest priced line.

Here in Nova Scotia,it's getting harder to get "good old" automotive paint now,everything has to be low VOC's.It has to be "green",or environmentally friendly.Lacquers are gone,synthetic and acrylic enamels about gone.There is still a single stage urethane available .And there are aat the moment base-clear's,which I can't see them getting rid of.Everybody here is selling water-bourne paints,and if you haven't taken a course on them,they are not allowed to sell them to you.It costs a fortune to get into them,you have to have a dryer,stainless steel this,and stainless steel that.To me ,it's ridiculous.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 08:26 AM

My older HVLP is from Harbor Freight & does a good job, but is finicky at times. The ball check valve that pressurizes the canister sticks at times. The newer gravity HVLP is a Campbell Hausfield PRO, and does a super job. Got it at a "Peddler's Mall" used, but like new. Has a carry case and a 2nd small canister for touch-up jobs, a cleaning kit, plus a rebuild kit. Got it all for just $40!

#26 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:22 AM

My older HVLP is from Harbor Freight & does a good job, but is finicky at times. The ball check valve that pressurizes the canister sticks at times. The newer gravity HVLP is a Campbell Hausfield PRO, and does a super job. Got it at a "Peddler's Mall" used, but like new. Has a carry case and a 2nd small canister for touch-up jobs, a cleaning kit, plus a rebuild kit. Got it all for just $40!

Can't beat that deal,Daniel.

#27 Malibusurfer OFFLINE  

Malibusurfer

• Member No: 3503
  • 20 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 07, 2011 - 09:38 AM

Personally I shot in a homemade booth. One 1/2 of my shop I dedicate to painting when the time comes. I mask off the side that is open to the other 1/2 completely with thin visqueen. One end of the booth I have a 20x20 filter and on the other I have a exhaust fan (I've used box fans too). I use air to completely blow out the shop as good as possible. Wait a few hours for the "dust to settle", then wash the booth with water (even walls). Prior to painting I hose about 1/2 way up the walls with water and soak the floor. This keeps the dust down and any foreign particles drop and stick to the water on the floor.
I have a air filter about 1/2 way down my air line, then one right at my gun (little orange water trap). Takes along time to prep the shop, but like they say, "anything worth doing, you midas do it right, or at least the best you can with what ya got"

mjodrey - WOW, that is terrible news to the DIY'er. I think it's coming this way, but hopefully not as soon... As far as I know, were just loosing our lightbulbs, but I'm sure there's more there getting thru to take away from us....

#28 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 08, 2011 - 01:44 PM

I too used to make a living out of painting cars, mostly with DuPont. I was painting with the whole HVLP phase came out, that was sure fun! Now it's easy to get a good spraying gun, I too have one of those purple Harbor Freight gravity feed guns (and a smaller touch up gun I have not yet used) The Harbor Freight gun is way more than fine enough for tractors, in fact, I would even shoot a car with it. I was quite impressed with how well it sprayed. It's worst sin is the cheapness of the cup, but over all... it's a darn good spray gun.

Sadly, water-born is here to stay. I can't stand it, and the idea that you have to "blow dry" the base just pushes dust around and is crazy!