• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,250 Thanks
  • 758 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 09:56 PM

Congrats, Alfonso! It looks like a nice solid machine!! Sounds like a bit of a hassle with the seller but worth it in the end. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this one!

#17 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 207 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Good luck on your purchase!

I have never sold anything on Craigslist, however, a number of sellers I have talked to have told me that their experience is that buyers are pretty flaky.  That being said, I have found quite a few flaky sellers also.  A few odd ones, after a short conversation on the phone, I have told "let me think about it", and hung up with no intention of calling back!  I have also met some delightful people that were a pleasure to get the chance to meet. 

I understand your getting sucked into a tractor that didn't meet your criteria.  I'll bet it is not the last time either!  :wave:

Regards,

Doug

#18 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 03:33 AM

Good luck on your purchase!

I have never sold anything on Craigslist, however, a number of sellers I have talked to have told me that their experience is that buyers are pretty flaky.  That being said, I have found quite a few flaky sellers also.  A few odd ones, after a short conversation on the phone, I have told "let me think about it", and hung up with no intention of calling back!  I have also met some delightful people that were a pleasure to get the chance to meet. 

I understand your getting sucked into a tractor that didn't meet your criteria.  I'll bet it is not the last time either!  :wave:

Regards,

Doug

I have had nothing but great experiences buying Bolens from sellers that are reasonable and fair and I've even made friends with a few.  If they are not reasonable and fair, we generally don't get past a phone call. This guy seemed ok at 1st, very helpful and we agreed easily on a price, but then all the sudden he changed into a money hungry, greedy, dishonest seller. Any Bolens meets my criteria pretty much. But with garage space getting scarce, and a  wife that "puts up" with the Bolens Bug I usually try to pick and choose my battles/buys very carefully. Its a good looking tractor and should run like a top once I get fuel flowing into the carb. Looking forward to using it. With all the tube frames I have in my collection, once the 1253 is running it will be the highest hp tube frame I have ever used. :D

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#19 bonusbuilt1950 ONLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 377 Thanks
  • 185 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 09:01 AM

As I say, you got it bad! Worse than I do. That is a nice looking tractor. I bought a RAM parts machine in New Hampshire last summer and once the guy had it loaded, he went back in his shop. We left and went to lunch. I'm usually concious of all my keys and for some reason I reached into my pocket and couldn't find my key for my wife's car. Looked everywhere  and then called the guy back to see if I dropped it there. He claims he went out and looked where we loaded, and said nope, cant find it. We drove back and looked and I found it where I figured I dropped it. I went over to the shop and banged on the door to tell him I found it, and he didn't even answer the door. He was in there. He was nice until we negotiated the price. Strange people in this world, and they're getting worse!

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#20 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 207 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 01:22 PM

I have had nothing but great experiences buying Bolens from sellers that are reasonable and fair and I've even made friends with a few.  If they are not reasonable and fair, we generally don't get past a phone call.

I think we are on the same page here.  I can usually tell in the initial phone call if the person is someone I want to deal with.  If they are not, then I want to gently back away.  I am usually not interested in dealing with a "flipper", I would rather deal with an end user. 

I don't remember ever having a bad experience buying Bolens stuff, but I only remember a couple of times buying from a Bolens nut, eh, I mean "enthusiast".  My comments were of a broader range than just my Bolens buying experiences. 

I have purchased quite a bit of stuff of a broad variety, long distance, sight unseen.  I don't remember a bad experience if I was comfortable with the people when talking with them on the phone.  I have sent down payments to hold an item, with the understanding I would not be able to pick the item up for up to 6 weeks.  This really stretched some of the sellers, btw, who just could not believe that I would send a down payment to them, whom I didn't know.   Every person I have sent a down payment to has come through with flying colours. 

Some folks I have dealt with have been a real hoot.  I had just driven 340 miles (in single digit temps in a cold full sized van) to pick up a DGT, sight unseen, which the seller had told me no longer moved, although it did a couple of days previously.  I was not concerned over all, and found the two speed rear end to be in neutral.  When I got it in gear, the seller decided to jerk my chain by telling me "now  I don't think I want to sell it".  We all had a good laugh over that.  I already knew he was selling as he was moving out of state, and there was no room on the trailer for it!  As you have alluded to, sometimes the people you meet are as much or more fun then what you came to purchase.

I too have a very understanding wife.  The best way to keep them that way is not to abuse it!

Regards,

Doug

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you