• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 10:19 PM

The wife and I were talking the other day that we really need to go on a vacation sometime in the near future. It probably won't be until next year though. We commented to each other that we haven't been on a true vacation since our little girl was born 6 years ago. We have gone to amusement parks but that is about it. The little one still has yet to see the ocean.

We used to go down to Virginia beach every summer when I was a kid and stay for a week with my aunt and uncle. I loved it down there and it will probably be the first beach that we take the little one to.

I am curious to hear what some of your favorite vacation spots are?

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 11:39 PM

Mine is on the member map. I used the camp location. Best place to relax and let the world stay at home where you left it.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:18 AM

I take many "vacations" each year. In fact, I met you (George) on one of my "vacations." :D

#4 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 04:38 AM

My favorite vacation spot is Orleans Mass. Cape Cod (mid cape) in late Sept. All the tourists have gone back to their work lives so the traffic on the road and the beach is at a minimum. The ocean water is still in the 70 degree range and the wife and I can bring all of our dogs and stay with a close friend who lives there for free. (can't beat that price!)The scenery is beautiful. We usually take a day orf so and drive up to Bourne where the canal is and watch the ships pass through the canal. It's really quite a site to see. (we also have friends in Bourne, so we spend a night with them) Cape Cod has alot of history and a visit to Provincetown is extremely colorfull (that's the tip of the cape where all the alternitive life style folks hang out)LOL

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:41 AM

ANYWHERE without cows! But seriously, I've never been on a true vacation in my 52 years. Maybe 3 days in a row camping or motorcycle riding & that's about it.
My idea of a good vacation is a LONG motorcycle ride, just seeing things as I go, but then again, I can't get far from the dairy, as all heck will likely break loose.
I do the day thing when I can, and Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana is a good place for me to take a day for. All the free Pepsi drinks ya want too!

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:54 AM

I enjoy the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hope to get back there sometime.

#7 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:00 AM

I hear yah Daniel. It's one of the pit falls to owning a farm. Raising Newfs. isn't much different. (well it's a bit different VBG) If we didn't have close friends on the Cape that could accomodate all our Newfs we wouldn't go. Fortunately the gal who puts us up is my wifes mentor and always has several extra pens available for our dogs. We do have to take both vehicles to do it though.

#8 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:23 AM

George - the Smoky Mountains with Lookout Point and Cade's Cove does not disappoint. And lots of other places along way , Boone Park etc. And you could go down inland and come back along ocean.

#9 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:56 AM

York Beach, Maine. Rent a cottage right on the beach, and listen to the surf all day & night long. Although I have traveled the world over, I do love Maine.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:03 AM

Couple of years ago, we took a 4 day trip seeing things in PA &OH. Went to the Columbus zoo, Warthers Carving Museum, bunch of little day or half day stops. No itinerary, no reservations, no giant rush. Best way to take a trip!

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Couple of years ago, we took a 4 day trip seeing things in PA &OH. Went to the Columbus zoo, Warthers Carving Museum, bunch of little day or half day stops. No itinerary, no reservations, no giant rush. Best way to take a trip!

I agree to kind of "wing it" is the best way. As they say, the best laid plans are made to self destruct! The Louisville Zoo is real nice. Only other I've been to is the Kansas City Zoo & it was kind of disappointing. Louisville one is far better.

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 10:18 AM

This will be our first full weeks vacation since having the kids. We will be going to Holden Beach, NC. My family has always vacationed in that area and it is a great family beach. There is no commericaliazation on the island. There is no partys and drunks hanging around and we always see people we know down there. We always spend our days in the water playing with the kids.

Before Kids we had gotten into scuba diving and we had went on a few diving trips in Florida and were planning on doing some real trips to the caribien. We plan on continuing with the scuba once the kids get bigger.

#13 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 08:26 AM

My wife and I have only been on 2 real vacations. One to Panama City Beach, FL and one to Destin, FL which are really only maybe 30 min apart along the Gulf.

I can't wait to go back.

#14 Norwood EYE OFFLINE  

Norwood EYE

• Member No: 1994
  • 4 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Outer Banks is really nice. Clean clear water and endless beaches. Busy certain times of the year and a bit uppity in places, but they DO have the Kitty Hawk museum and park.

My second choice is off the beaten path a little, if you like privacy and modest prices, look into Oak island NC, cool thing about there is it faces south, so at certain times of the year you can see amazing splashdown sunSETS from the east coast.

#15 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Have traveled all over Canada and the US.....Cape Cod was nice, never got around to fruity town.......Not fussy on Florida.....Arizona is a nice break in the winter....

Place I think I like the best is the Black Hills of SD and Yellowstone Park........I prefer the mountains and forests to the beaches....but, thats just me.