• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:29 PM

Added receiver hitch and cargo carrier. Will use buckets of sand to add weight for traction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170112_155402.jpg

• grnspot110, Alc, FrozenInTime and 2 others have said thanks

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,669 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:36 PM

That should work pretty good. I use mine for shows, but it helped to counter weight the blower, until the cooler was emptied.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140294.jpg

• KennyP, FrozenInTime, grattone and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,373 Thanks
  • 3,267 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 11:13 PM

Be careful I can see you doing some wheelies without some front counter weights.
  • KennyP, FrozenInTime, Jazz and 2 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,895 Thanks
  • 44,626 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 06:49 AM

Be careful I can see you doing some wheelies without some front counter weights.

As high as that is, it may not take to much weight to lift the front.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,669 Thanks
  • 4,257 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 10:25 AM

When I stood on mine (230ish) (without the blower) I could get the front end off the ground. Although rated for 500 lbs, I wouldn't go over a hundred or so, unless the front was weighted. It is very useful for other things other than weight.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:28 PM

When I stood on mine (230ish) (without the blower) I could get the front end off the ground. Although rated for 500 lbs, I wouldn't go over a hundred or so, unless the front was weighted. It is very useful for other things other than weight.

I agree as far as how much weight to load.  Great idea for shows to have a cooler handy, lawn chairs and even a bbq. 500 lbs is a stretch for those things. 

#7 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:43 PM

It's only rated for 300 lbs, and I don't expect to go even close to that. I'm thinking 2 buckets of sand and a scoop. It's only intended for plowing traction, but may find light duty for other uses. The plow probably adds 50+ to the front of the tractor. If I get really ambitious I might narrow the carrier to the tractor width over the summer. Probably wont happen. I stood on it when done, and bounced a little bit without lifting the plow off the ground at all.

Tom

• Sawdust and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:50 PM

I took another route in adding weight, built a box that sets on the trailer ball and has a long rod thru the back hitch on my 7010 Simplicity. the container in the box is filled with 60 lbs. of  sand and a chain that weighs 20 lbs.  I modified a Cub Cadet blade and installed it on the tractor. I was pleased with the way it handled the 8" snow we had last week, but have ordered a set of tube's for tires so I can fill them also. Should add that piece of 4x7 tubing under the foot rest has 4 car chains in it that weights 40 lbs.

DSC02883.JPG DSC02884.JPG

Edited by grattone, January 13, 2017 - 12:53 PM.

• Sawdust and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 01:12 PM

That much weight that high and far back might damage that gt in my opinion.  If you must do that, I would not put much on and I would tie it to the very front of the carrier.  I have 200 lbs on the back of my 2370, when I remove the loader the front gets very light.  Does not take much weight to give a little extra traction.  Have you thought about wheel weights?

• Sawdust and 4tom have said thanks

#10 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 04:41 PM

That much weight that high and far back might damage that gt in my opinion. If you must do that, I would not put much on and I would tie it to the very front of the carrier. I have 200 lbs on the back of my 2370, when I remove the loader the front gets very light. Does not take much weight to give a little extra traction. Have you thought about wheel weights?

This just seemed more practical than wheel weights, since I can use it for other things when not plowing. It now has one bag of sand in an outdoor storage box I found on sale at Dicks for $16. The farther back I put the weight the more leverage it provides. I can always add more weight, and will have a scoop in there in case I want to spread some of the sand for more traction. Will have an extra bucket of sand available in case I need it. Will add more photos from my phone shortly. Total cost so far less than $100. and a couple hours labor (mostly re-drilling the receiver mount).

Photos are posted, last one is sideways.

Also tractor should handle the weight better than a loaded triple bag grass catcher, which probably attaches to the same mount point I attached the receiver hitch to.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170113_164517.jpg
  • 20170113_164534.jpg
  • 20170113_164556.jpg

Edited by 4tom, January 14, 2017 - 04:54 PM.

• shorty and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#11 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted February 09, 2017 - 07:54 PM

First test today: inconclusive

more snow than slush, didn't pack at all

Front is definitely lighter, but not too light. Feels like balance might be good, but need a colder snow to test it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• G0028215.JPG

#12 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted February 10, 2017 - 01:18 AM

I mounted a 60 plus pound back blade on my JD 112. It provides weight to counter balance the front blade. But when the front blade is down on the ground the front wheels are lightened to the point that the diagonal front blade will start to push the front of the tractor sideways with about 5" of snow. Wheel weights and loaded tires would provide traction and not have the same effect. They would also be less strain for the axle  bearings. Don

#13 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • 108 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 09:55 PM

That's not the first reply about the axle bearings. Are they a weak point I need to worry about ? I only have about 20-30 pounds of sand on the carrier. I would think a loaded grass catcher would be heavier. I think sears sells a 50 odd pound rear weight kit for traction.
  • shorty said thank you

#14 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:18 PM

I mounted a 60 plus pound back blade on my JD 112. It provides weight to counter balance the front blade. But when the front blade is down on the ground the front wheels are lightened to the point that the diagonal front blade will start to push the front of the tractor sideways with about 5" of snow. Wheel weights and loaded tires would provide traction and not have the same effect. They would also be less strain for the axle  bearings. Don

I have no particular reference to the bearings being week. Looking at the picture it looks like a lawn tractor you are dealing with. Considering the size of the axle on my craftsman LT 6000 the bearings can not be very massive. when you hang weight of the back of the tractor you effectively transfer the center of gravity back over the rear axle. Considering 400lb tractor 200lb rider plus blade and added weight the strain on the bearings is considerable.  Don 

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#15 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,949 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 09:23 AM

Strapping this radiator onto the back of the sears was the best idea I had all year. We have not been able to get this thing stuck so far this year. 

20161230_115429.jpg

Wish I could say that about my horse. 

Today is going to be a really nasty one for us, 

No more reckless abandonment, this time we go in with a plan.