• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:48 PM

I can deal with winter, Once the ice is safe for fishing!

I'm generally in that frame of mind but this year.... not looking good.  The 2 lakes I fish, having 4-5 inches of ice thickness got hammered with snow.  I've heard the ice is around 12 inches or so, but unless you have tracked vehicles, your not getting out there.  I don't have a tracked machine so... no ice fishing.  Makes winter much-much worse.... I need to fish....   MAN, i HATE winter.  Was not this way til I hit probably 57-58, just can't take the cold any longer.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#32 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:58 PM

Here is a set of hillers I have been working on for my old Jaques Mighty Mite. Potato plow was an after thought

Keep warm my friends. 

I guess on the plus side you guy's don't have to swat mosquitoes in January?

How's that potato plow work?  I am thinking of putting on on the tool bar but I've heard those will cut up potatoes?  I will probably make/try one for next fall.  I'm making a 3-point tool bar that I can mount hillers, sub-soiler, cultivators, etc on.  Got it cut/sized laying on my welding bench ready to lay a bead on.  Waiting on a warmer day next week so I can move bench out of garage to do it.  My garage is attached, I just don't feel comfortable welding in there since it's a connected garage.  Don't like fires.

Yea, fact about the vampires.  That's (besides the cold) the only bad thing about where I am.  If you don't take a deet bath everytime you walk out the door, you get hammered badly!!  And that's an understatement!!  The chickies and guinea atleast eat the ticks which are also bad.  If I could only get them trained to go after the vampires, I'd have it made.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#33 1RUSTYNUT ONLINE  

1RUSTYNUT
  • Member No: 83716
  • 81 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 08:19 PM

How's that potato plow work?  I am thinking of putting on on the tool bar but I've heard those will cut up potatoes?  I will probably make/try one for next fall.  I'm making a 3-point tool bar that I can mount hillers, sub-soiler, cultivators, etc on.  Got it cut/sized laying on my welding bench ready to lay a bead on.  Waiting on a warmer day next week so I can move bench out of garage to do it.  My garage is attached, I just don't feel comfortable welding in there since it's a connected garage.  Don't like fires.

Appeared to work pretty good considering I made them out of what I had laying around.   Haven't tried them in the actual garden yet, just on a small right of way where I occasionally test things out. Still have greens in the garden. Tried to talk Dad into walking behind and dropping potatoes through a pipe in between the plow and the hillers so we could plant in one pass. At 80 years old  he said, "he didn't think he could keep up."  I  can't talk him into driving the tractor. If I had  put more distance in between the plow and the hillers I think it might would have worked so I could have planted in one pass. 

Only ice fishing I have ever done was going fishing at 18 degrees and having to dip the rod in the water to melt the ice out of the guides. 

• oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#34 Kster526 OFFLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 06:20 AM

Great thought I don't think it'll fit in my carry on
  • FrozenInTime said thank you