• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'm going nuts here... MAN, I need to put in/work my garden.  Froze down 3 foot or more is making that kinda hard...grrrr..I'm working on a hiller for my garden tractor and that only makes it worse.  I NEED to put in some taters, corn, melons.... grrrrr  Did I mention I HATE winter!!  Can't scream that enough.... 

Anyone else relate to this feeling?  Plowing the 2 and 3 foot ugly snow drifts just don't count as plowing.....  Just how far south would I have to sno-bird to, to be able to have a small winter, productive garden...grrrrrr  NM here I come... I wish!

• olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:45 PM

I've been wondering what a moldboard plow will do in snow.......

• KennyP and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,822 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:48 PM

Lately my g/f has been getting cabin fever and wanting to get out. We have little to no snow on the ground, and with the weather yesterday and today in the high 40s to 50s, I want to get out too. I don't mind the winter, if my back could handle it. 

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#4 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:55 PM

Minus 7 out right now, I have to go outside to take care of the critters.  Don't know why, but they think when it's this freaking cold out, they need to eat and drink.  The nerve of those animals!!  If it were in the 50's, I'd feed them and go for a warm bike ride, but that won't happen til maybe early jun... LOL.  Did I mention I hate this cold/ugly white fluffy cwap.  Man, my garden needs me....

• olcowhand, Gtractor, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:57 PM

I've been wondering what a moldboard plow will do in snow.......

LOL, I bet it would do just fine, until you hit that big chunk of ice hidden under the snow.  Might take a while to get the drive clean but I bet the neighbors would think I have lost it.  So, it would be a normal day for me.... LOL

• KennyP said thank you

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,281 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:06 PM

It's -37C here with a wind, and like you, I have "farmers fever" so bad I can hardly stand it. Having two new seed catalogues show up in the mail yesterday is just plain cruel. Think I'll go downstairs and slip a few geraniums just to make me feel better.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,146 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:38 PM

I'll be stir crazy before the weekend is over. Nothing to do but stare at this screen and read about all you folks' adventures. 

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:33 PM

I hear ya FrozenInTime, I feel the same way. I have mentioned in a few of my recent posts that I hate winter/snow. Only mentioned a few times.

Oh by the way, did I mention, I hate winter. Oh I guess I did.

Noel
  • KennyP, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,146 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:44 PM

I hear ya FrozenInTime, I feel the same way. I have mentioned in a few of my recent posts that I hate winter/snow. Only mentioned a few times.

Oh by the way, did I mention, I hate winter. Oh I guess I did.

Noel

I'm right there with you guys!

• oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,940 Thanks
  • 1,294 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:59 PM

According to the media we are going to " get ice all weekend and power will be out for days, roads will be impossible to navigate and we all die...so stock up on milk, bread and eggs and make sure you have blankets in your car."

It mostly depends on timing and temp. Saturday might get ugly, but just regular plain old rain on sunday should clear everything off

• KennyP, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:08 PM

Media is a wonderful thing. Great for a few laughs.

Noel
  • oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,146 Thanks
  • 44,148 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:12 PM

According to the media we are going to " get ice all weekend and power will be out for days, roads will be impossible to navigate and we all die...so stock up on milk, bread and eggs and make sure you have blankets in your car."

It mostly depends on timing and temp. Saturday might get ugly, but just regular plain old rain on sunday should clear everything off

We're in that 'ice pellets' forcast. We stocked up on food. I got gas for the generator (just in case). Also got another bottle of propane (we can use the turkey fryers for cooking if needed). Got the PU backed in to yard away from any trees. So i'm ready. Won't have to go anywhere til it's warmed back up.

• Sawdust, FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,821 Thanks
  • 6,054 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:13 PM

I don't mind the winter at all.  It is the cold my old body don't like any more.  Tractors are snuggled in their place in the machine shed, right where they belong.  Last couple days spent in the wood shop and built a new covered bridge for the garden railroad.  Have 3 or 4 buildings to repair or replace yet so plenty to keep me occupied.  Just think of all the old bugs and germs this cold weather kills and the clean air the snow leaves us with.  Got to think positive guys.  :smilewink:   :wave:

• Alc, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,940 Thanks
  • 1,294 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:19 PM

The forecast high for Sunday is 38, the low for Sunday night/ Monday morning is 37 with a high Monday of 53. No chance of a refreeze for Monday morning. We will be in a Ice storm warning from 9am Friday to midnight Sunday/Monday. 60% chance of frizzel Saturday but no guess on amounts.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#15 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:44 PM

Got some steel cut up, ready to weld the tool bar up.  I want to get it welded up, but I hate to weld in the garage since it's an attached garage.  Supposed to be somewhat warm, might hit 20 above next week so I will wait and weld it up out-side.  As long as the wind is not crazy.  Help'd to cut down on the *fever* a little, but I want to get this horrible cold thang called winter done with. 

I don't think we are going to get missed by this new storm coming through but we are ready.  I need more buildings though, I lave a lot of equipment sitting outside, darn it.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks