• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JD 400 OFFLINE  

JD 400
  • Member No: 85607
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 11:06 PM

I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what my Speedex S32 with Ark Loader is Worth. I can't find hardly any info on it, and only a couple pictures on are found on google. I'm guessing it is kind of rare especially with the loader. Any info on how many were made and if there are in any collectors looking for theses. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03618.JPG
  • DSC03620.JPG
  • DSC03624.JPG

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,350 Thanks
  • 1,090 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:05 AM

Some information on speedex exists in the manuals section. Unfortunately not value. Are you buying or selling. Don 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,800 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:45 AM

Welcome to GTT. The value is really hard to give because alot of variables come into the estimate. First is condition, second is how good of a machine is it, third would be rarity, and fourth is location(local market conditions). The time of the year comes into it too. Usually any good garden tractor in running condition with a front end loader will start out at around $1200 and go up from there. I see many that are advertised at over $3000 that don't sell.  It is a tough decision. Watch CL for awhile to see what things go for in your area. Good Luck, Rick

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:03 AM

It's really hard to put a price.  I kind of watch the Speedex world and this is the first mention I've seen of an S32.  I see prices for the more common models all over the place.

As I recall their biggest production year was 1500 units, including all models.  Market seems to have been regional and outside of Northeast Ohio and Western Pennsylvania they are uncommon.  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a collector market, probably because nobody has heard of them.

The tractor itself appears to be in rough shape, I think most of the value is in the loader.  If you were in my neighborhood I'd look at it trying to figure out if I could buy the package, re-sell the tractor and end up with the loader for $1,000 or less.  I wouldn't even pick up the phone if it was listed for more than $1,200.

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,741 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:29 AM

http://www.speedextr...icanPhotos.html

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:33 PM

S32 was new for me too. Nice model, but would take loader off this one if mine. Doesn't look right, and those not that heavy of frames for one.  After looking the posting above on these, seems is lot heavier tractor than I was aware of. Trans-axle way up high, looks like stamped steel frame rails. I would really LIKE one of these now!  I'm wondering if this might be the model that became the Strongland tractors later?  I looked on my  Cards from Mike Hamper and DID see one on this tractor. "All American"  seems to be important. Anyway, I still like it with-out the loader. Maybe I should look before the year is out...what think?

Edited by glgrumpy, January 12, 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#7 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 06:07 PM

The S32 was built in the 1973-4 period and the loader was a factory option, but I believe was shipped direct from the loader manufacturer. About a year ago there was an S32 w. loader for sale in MI and the seller was asking $2900 for it. It was on Craigslist for over 6 months before the ad disappeared.  It was completely restored with all new paint,decals ,tires, including a new 16hp B&S twin. A fellow in our area bought one w. loader for $700 but it had broken axel. Other than the axel it looked better than JD400's tractor.  I keep asking him what he would sell it for but he never gives me a price. That's just as well. I don't know where i would store it. Floyd. 

Edited by speedbird, January 14, 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#8 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 361 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 07:51 PM

I'd like to chime in on this topic because I also came across what I believe to be a S32 speedex today. Included are pictures and I'll say that the 10hp Kohler in it was said to be the original motor and runs but a little rough and blows some smoke but also comes with a different 10hp Kohler that has been freshly rebuilt. It does run and drive but the tires are all dry and checked but hold air OK. Only other thing I can say at this point is i noticed one side brake is set up and the lift lever is also set up, and comes with no implementation. I know nothing about these tractors but I was offered it for what seems to me to be a fair price (which I'll reveal later). I'm just hoping someone could give me a ballpark value of this one as well, so I can either go after it or pass it by. TY and hope to get some quick feed back on this. Would also like to know if I've identified the model correctly if anyone can determine that just by these pictures. It was a crowded space and very hard to get around it for picture taking.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170114_163203_252.jpg
  • IMG_20170114_163219_102.jpg
  • IMG_20170114_163240_967.jpg
  • IMG_20170114_163333_645.jpg
  • IMG_20170114_163311_020.jpg
  • IMG_20170114_163349_561.jpg

Edited by kjmweld, January 14, 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 10:23 PM

I'd like to chime in on this topic because I also came across what I believe to be a S32 speedex today. Included are pictures and I'll say that the 10hp Kohler in it was said to be the original motor and runs but a little rough and blows some smoke but also comes with a different 10hp Kohler that has been freshly rebuilt. It does run and drive but the tires are all dry and checked but hold air OK. Only other thing I can say at this point is i noticed one side brake is set up and the lift lever is also set up, and comes with no implementation. I know nothing about these tractors but I was offered it for what seems to me to be a fair price (which I'll reveal later). I'm just hoping someone could give me a ballpark value of this one as well, so I can either go after it or pass it by. TY and hope to get some quick feed back on this. Would also like to know if I've identified the model correctly if anyone can determine that just by these pictures. It was a crowded space and very hard to get around it for picture taking.

Sure looks like the same tractor.

I looked at both these tractors and the pics in the link TAHOE shared and I cannot figure out that hitch.  If I was looking for a working tractor I'd be worried about implements.

#10 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 361 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 07:39 AM

I appreciate the input carl, I understand what you're saying about the lack of implementation and yes, it would be nice if it had some but at this point I'm just needing to know an approx. value in it. I can worry about finding implements later, just want to know if its worth his asking price. Other information about this model would also be helpful if anyone wants to offer any. what was available for them, did they have any options (hydraulics for lift or front plows) stuff like that. Kind of wondering what these tractors primary uses were intended to do back in the day. I'm kind of thinking this particular model is awefully large to be a lawnmower. any help is appreciated.

#11 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 09:22 AM

Looking at the pictures TAHOE linked there was apparently a mower deck for it.  Appears to be a stamped deck driven by a belt running over a mule drive at the front of the tractor like most modern decks.  That means you'd be unlikely to use the decks from the other S models and number models because they were driven by a belt at the side of the tractor.  Since it's stamped that would stretch the odds of finding a usable one.

Looking at the parts diagram (http://www.speedex.com/?page_id=160) and list it appears there was a hydraulics option.  The electric pump was mounted behind the seat.  Here is a picture of one:

s32disc1.jpg

Also looking I think I see how the hitch works.  It's some sort of tool bar that can be locked at a fixed height by a pair of straps (as in your pictures) or floating with an implement bolted to it (as the picture above).  The lift arms get attached to the implement to raise and lower it.  Again, this seems like a different set up than the more common models so I don't think most Speedex implements will bolt right up.  I can see where it might be fairly simple to make a sleeve hitch adapter to bolt to it.  It's be more work and $$ but I think you could make it into a 3-point (maybe even category 1).  Without hydraulics though I wonder if lifting heavy implements wouldn't be hard on the linkages and your arm.  You could make a hydraulic lift for it but that's a lot of time and money.

There was a front plow, at least with the hydraulics option:

webgeorgeelliotts32proto1.jpg

Note the hydraulic cylinder under the axle to raise and lower the plow.  Again, that's different than the other Speedex plows which were raised/lowered with a linkage to the rock shaft on the tractor lift.  I don't know if there was a manual version of the plow or whether it was the same as other Speedex models used.

Here's the bottom line:  I think finding implements will be difficult to impossible.  Same with the hydraulic lift.  Unless you spend time and money modifying the hitch you'll probably be limited to towable implements and a trailer.  It sounds like it's close to needing $500 worth of tires.  I'm not sure what you mean by brake and lift lever "set up" but that sounds like some repair work.  If you assume the tractor (with implements) in the last picture I linked is worth $1,500 and subtract all the things I listed you're going to go below $0.  There are going to be cheaper ways to move dirt and snow around.

It is an interesting tractor and would be fun to have "just because".  Whether his asking price is fair comes down to what that is worth to you.

#12 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 361 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 09:54 AM

carl,
That's exactly what I'm gathering myself so far, as to its value anyway. Other concerns I had was if the 10 HP Kohler was even the "correct" size motor for such a large tractor. I thought not but so far haven't been able to determine that one way or the other deffinatively. I was thinking about getting this tractor to pull around my 64" homemade lawn roller that weights 1600lbs full tho, because I think that may be a bit too much on the hydrostatic ht20. and could also be an overall better "puller" when it comes to the heavier stuff I need to move on occasion. I was hoping someone would offer their opinions on what its main intended purpose was for and how well they stood up to things. Still kicking it around tho and again, appreciate ALL advice or experiences with this model tractor.

#13 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 02:22 PM

Lookie what I just stumbled across: http://gardentractor...ttachments-pix/

glgrumpy seems to have a data card.  The picture is too small for me to read.  Maybe he'll dig the card out and answer all your questions.

Even if the 10HP is wrong it'll be plenty to pull a roller.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 03:37 PM

This thing is SO cool!  I Want one!   I posted those cards Mike Hamper sends to me on private message.  They are kinda hard to read, lots of stuff on little space. That rear hitch IS quite diff.  Have never seen hydraulics like that picture above, new one to me.  I've gotta go back and hit all the links here myself. You guys getting them off the Speedex info site?   I can't find much on there, hard to navigate for me. My link is on the .com address, is there another?  Mike hamper's running it now?  I can't find info on what engine was in this, other than 14hp.  They used Briggs in most, but can't tell from pictures, too closed up. I'm sure 10hp is small, but maybe just the shrould was changed?  They fit many hp sizes.  This thing I bet is as big as my later Power KIngs.  I like the Bigger size.

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 03:46 PM

Looked at Marty's link, man what differences between all those.  Seems most DO have Kohler engines looks like. That one X-32 tho, looks like engine is turned 90* and same as a power king. So how is that diff drive-line?  Also the rusted one looks like it may have a pto shaft coming out under the upper rear lift link?? Maybe these are like others, no ONE is same as another??? :smilewink:

Just went to other link with parts pages. WOW! Is that a Busy picture there!!  That would take me long time to sort that one out. Would have to print many copies and hi-lite areas I wanted to study!  I see the list of parts is there, seperate.  I have not been on this site much, was not updated much in past, might have to go back and look some more.

Edited by glgrumpy, January 15, 2017 - 03:52 PM.