• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:56 PM

I can't find "search", or an engine forum, so I'll ask this here.  Briggs twins:  good engines or pieces of junk?  I'm looking at a tractor that the guy says the 16 horse B&S was swapped for an 18 horse B&S.  Which engines are good, and which ones are to be avoided (like a KT17)?  Currently waiting on pics of the engine to find out what type it is.  Thanks!

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,220 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:58 PM

I guess the main thing is how well the engine was cared for over its life, if its an older machine (80's) its likely a L head engine, from my experiences those are very solid built engines

• rustyoldjunk, Lmiller3358, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:15 PM

From the owner:  "The engine is a 18 Twin I/C Industrial Commercial, Cast Iron Bore engine."  We have one on a start-all at work but it is the only one I've screwed with. 

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,378 Thanks
  • 4,084 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 09:07 PM

I have five Brigs L Twins. three horizontal, two vertical. I may be biased, but I like them. Easy to work on, and reliable. As long as maintained well. See if you can get the model number off the shroud and post. I dislike the overhead valves on the V twins.  

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#5 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 401 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 10:35 PM

I always told myself that I wanted the Kohler or Onan in a big L head twin, but after many experiences with those and the Briggs, I have had much better luck out of the Briggs twins and they always seem to be regarded as a lesser motor.  They may or may not be quite as heftily built, but they sure do seem to run smooth and not nearly as finicky.

• KennyP, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,097 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:11 AM

You can get roughly 2,000 hours out of a L head twin if it's a cast iron bore block with decent maintenance.At around 2,000 hours you'll notice they will be down on power and will have a good bit of blow by.

No they don't last as long as a kohler or Onan twin but parts to rebuild them are 1/4-1/2 the price.Kohler L head twins can run up to 3000+/- hours on them with regular maintenance before needing rebuilt or replaced.(except the KT17 series 1 but even that engine will last a long time if it's kept stationary lol)

The aluminum bore briggs flat heads I would stay away from.Rings and cylinders wear ALOT faster in those.

I've seen a couple ohv Vanguard twins with 600-800 hours on them that smoked from worn rings and a couple with 1600-1800 that ran good with no smoke so it's a crap shoot.Some good some bad.Might have something to do with certain lower quality Chinese parts?  

Edited by EricFromPa, January 12, 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:02 AM

I have a good stock of used BS twins from freebee LTs with unknown hours that I use to power projects or to repower LT flippers. The best thing about them is they are easy to come by, easy to get parts for and dirt cheap. If I get one with internal problems(doesn't happen often), I just swap it out with another one.

• Bmerf said thank you