• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 19 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:13 AM

I am trying to install a new transmission on my Power King, As I was trying to get the front of the transmission into the clutch I noticed a small piece of rubber with a metal ring around it jammed into the hole. 

I looked it up in the parts diagram and it appears to be a "snap ring" that goes on the engine side of the clutch bushing. 

It looks to me that the only way to get it on again is to take the clutch apart, put the clutch plate and bushings on the transmission then put the whole assembly back into the bell housing. 

That seems like a lot, since Im not really sure what it does. 

What is the snap ring for, and is it worth the trouble of disassembling the clutch? 

Attached Thumbnails

• snapRing.PNG
  • IMG_0700.JPG

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,723 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 02:01 PM

Hi yes the snap ring is needed it holds the pilot bushing in place, the seal can be left out if your leaving anything out. and it positions the flywheel on the CS so that the clutch works right.

Attached File  Clutch Flywheel Installation Instructions.pdf   430.89KB   46 downloads

• Alc, JakeQT17 and Genem have said thanks

#3 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 19 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi yes the snap ring is needed it holds the pilot bushing in place, the seal can be left out if your leaving anything out. and it positions the flywheel on the CS so that the clutch works right.

attachicon.gifClutch Flywheel Installation Instructions.pdf

Thanks. 

I think it was actually a piece of the seal, do you have any idea what the seal is in there for? I can't figure out what it's sealing. 

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,723 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Thanks. 

I think it was actually a piece of the seal, do you have any idea what the seal is in there for? I can't figure out what it's sealing. 

Hi Jake, now if your as old as me you might remember this. That is a $64000.00 question.

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,440 Thanks
  • 7,242 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Doesn't the snap ring keep the flywheel from going onto the crankshaft too far ?

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,723 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:40 PM

Doesn't the snap ring keep the flywheel from going onto the crankshaft too far ?

Yes it does, if the flywheel moved to far toward the engine the clutch pedal would not have enough travel to release the clutch.

• Alc and JakeQT17 have said thanks

#7 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• 19 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:13 PM

Hi Jake, now if your as old as me you might remember this. That is a $64000.00 question.

I guess I'm not as old as you..I don't get the reference, but I get the point anyway  :)  :rolling:

• MNGB said thank you

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,755 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:25 PM

Snap ring is just a stop for when clutch flywheel is pushed onto the crank. If it is bent in, that means the flywheel has moved in some, and may make clutch not have enough clearance to release when pushing pedal. IF the flywheel is not loose, you can just leave it along for now. It is sometimes long hard work to get the flywheels off and they are rusted on shafts good most times, pretty much takes removal of engine to play with all this.

MNGB, sorry, don't think it holds in the bushing, as the bushing is put in AFTER the flywheel is on. The bushing and seal can be put in without taking things apart. Hardest part might be Removing the bushing to change. Actually again if the bushing has good center and not too wallowed out, just leave it alone. The seal goes in after the bushing. Bushing should be greased a bit on assembly, this is just for tip of shaft from trans, and think the seal is supposed to help hold the grease in place some, not let it whip out onto clutch disc when running is all.  Is a common size seal, most auto shops can get one.  It is not a real big deal, not sure if really helps or not. I have seen them w/out seals many times and remains like you have found also.

• Alc, JakeQT17, Genem and 1 other said thanks