• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeffanderson OFFLINE  

jeffanderson
  • Member No: 79518
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 01:30 AM

I have two of the supposed 29, 1969 penguins for sale. They both need restoration but try to find one! I just do not have the room for them, please make a offer, I can send pics just don't know how to post pics on here. Some of them are already scrap(hate to see that) but be one of the select few that have one
Jeff

Edited by jeffanderson, January 10, 2017 - 01:33 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi, EricFromPa and oldiron1 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,107 Thanks
  • 44,128 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 05:46 AM

Check out the link in my signature for uploading pics.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 806 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 08:15 PM

Wow for as rare as everyone trying to sell them says the are this is the sixth set I have seen for sale in Wisconsin just this year. Or maybe it's just the same units changing hands. The bolens man Hank stopped by recently and also told me of a set of three for sale near wisconsin rapids. That individual said his were the only ones 8n existence, obviously he was misinformed!
  • wilberj, MH81 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#4 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,841 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:54 PM

Wow for as rare as everyone trying to sell them says the are this is the sixth set I have seen for sale in Wisconsin just this year. Or maybe it's just the same units changing hands. The bolens man Hank stopped by recently and also told me of a set of three for sale near wisconsin rapids. That individual said his were the only ones 8n existence, obviously he was misinformed!

I know of 8. 

• Bolens 1000 and Eric have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 806 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well between us we just about must be the best rare item finders! Just kidding. Just getting tired of that r word. The only rare thing I know of anymore is honor and loyalty in the younger generation, so few and far between!I can only hope that things will get better and kids will want to be fireman and engineers and the like instead of basketball stars and MOGULS, hear that one quite a bit recently.
  • Bolens 1000, wilberj and Cvans have said thanks

#6 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 319 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:42 AM

what's rare is someone that DOES have a hard to find item, realises what they have is an item that's not very common, and still offers it for sale for a reasonable amount. Not millions $ or says I'm open for offers (trying to get a bidding war going). I always find it interesting how people want offers because they don't know what their item is worth but they can manage to find the perfect place to advertise it available amongst a lot of people they know that might want to pay up for it.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,241 Thanks
  • 9,180 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 08:00 AM

I was trying to figure out what the hey is a Bolens Penguin. A internet search lead me back to this post; http://gardentractor...bolens-penquin/

• Alc, tiretrx, WHdbJD and 1 other said thanks

#8 Countryboo OFFLINE  

Countryboo
  • Member No: 84003
  • 137 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 09:10 AM

I had to do the same. Looks like a neat machine.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,952 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 04:57 PM

One thing I have learned about this hobby is if you want to see how rare an item really is , post about it online on any of these forums ,then sit back and search ebay and Craigslist in the next 2-4 months in most cases the machines you thought didnt exist start popping up all over the place because people now have a reference and know what they have. If nothing shows up then you know its truly a rare find.  I remember when I first posted about my Bolens Power Pak I found in my uncles barn, before that we never seen more than 2 or three now after I have numerous threads about them, theres got to be atleast 15 of them I've seen up for sale the past couple years.

Same with this penguin, only 1 was supposed to be around now in less than a year we seen 8 after an article was made on them.

• wilberj, Alc and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,841 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 05:36 PM

One thing I have learned about this hobby is if you want to see how rare an item really is , post about it online on any of these forums ,then sit back and search ebay and Craigslist in the next 2-4 months in most cases the machines you thought didnt exist start popping up all over the place because people now have a reference and know what they have. If nothing shows up then you know its truly a rare find.  I remember when I first posted about my Bolens Power Pak I found in my uncles barn, before that we never seen more than 2 or three now after I have numerous threads about them, theres got to be atleast 15 of them I've seen up for sale the past couple years.

Same with this penguin, only 1 was supposed to be around now in less than a year we seen 8 after an article was made on them.

How about the bolens convertible? :D Still a hard to find tractor but my serial numbers on my two shows bolens made more then hundred of one modal of them.  

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,864 Thanks
  • 2,430 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 06:01 PM

How about the bolens convertible? :D Still a hard to find tractor but my serial numbers on my two shows bolens made more then hundred of one modal of them.  

Yes, Jerome, but they were only built 1960 & 1961, and had very low production compared to tractors of the same years.  ...They were also competing with the other 12 models of riding mowers Bolens offered in those two years, as well as the R-A-M's.

That was also 56 & 57 years ago, so with low production and low sales, it's not surprising that only a few still exist.  ....I would guess the chance of finding a Convertible complete with the sulky, handle bars, and all attachments is extremely small.

They were probably not considered as "antiques," or as mowers worth fixing, so I'm sure most ended up being scrapped.

I would say that the Bolens Convertibles do deserve the use of the word "RARE."

Beside the two Convertibles you own, how many others do you know of ?

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale