• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • Member No: 85583
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 11:30 PM

First, thank you to everyone for making this a great forum. I have been lurking for quite a while and messing with GT's even longer... I picked up a New Holland S14 a few years back with 3pt and a front snow blade. It has been a blast, I used it a lot to skid logs out of the woods and push some snow. It has filled 26x12 ag's on it :-) but last winter (I think) might have been 14... the ole Kohler let go and sadly it's been sitting since. I honestly think it's just a cam gear, but I haven't torn into it. I have a full size New Holland with loader and backhoe for major tractor work and a Snapper Pro zero turn to handle the grass so it hasn't been pressing. But now I'm itching for a project. 

I also picked up a Jacobson with a Kubota D622-e a few years ago dirt cheap with the intention of a heart transplant into the S14. In reading around on here I see that the early tilt steering models aren't as common. I can't decide if I should "hack" it up to put the little 3cyl in or not. What are your thoughts? 

Just because I always hear "we need pictures" here's a picture just setting in the barn. Don't ask why the PO painted it Ariens colors. I don't have an answer...

S14 Barn.jpg

• MH81 and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,122 Thanks
  • 44,131 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:10 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! That sounds like a bit of a dilemma. I'm not familiar with the NH tractors, so don't really know which way to go. What engine is original?

• jsnyder7.3 said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:17 AM

Welcome  to GTTalk !   Maybe some members here will be able to tell you if there are any issues with adding a more powerful engine will do to the drivetrain .

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!

A few thoughts came to mind. While there are not many around, enough were made that they are not rare. And if you do the transplant, you will definitely have a one of a kind tractor. It could take a bit of frame work since that was designed around the K series.
  • Alc, KennyP and jsnyder7.3 have said thanks

#5 grattone OFFLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 309 Thanks
  • 219 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 08:32 AM

Welcome, nice seat warmer :)

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 10:12 AM

As long as the rest of the machine is in good shape, I would definitely repower.  It's going to take a LOT of fabrication to fit that 3-cyl. in there.  The front end will need to be extended and channeled/reinforced to allow the oil pan to drop through it.  Then you may run into PTO clearance issues.  A newer Ariens machine with power steering would probably be preferred as well.  That 3-cyl. will add quite a bit of weight on the front wheels/tires affecting steering.  If you want easy, find another K-series Kohler.  If you want moderate, do some fabricating/cutting and wedge a V-twin in it (it's been done by others).  I personally wouldn't do that much fabricating to put a 3-cyl. diesel in that machine, but to each their own!  Good luck on whatever you do.  Just keep it running!  =)

• KennyP and jsnyder7.3 have said thanks

#7 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 08:35 PM

Welcome, nice seat warmer :)

grattone thanks. That's about all that lazy wanna be barn cat was good for....

#8 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 08:42 PM

Billy I guess it was worth mention that I got the entire Jacobson tri-king not just the engine. So if I go the Kubota 3cyl route it will include p/s as I have the rotary valve and steering cylinder from the donor; as well as a stand alone hydraulic system for any future needs. (FEL :-) maybe...)

#9 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 247 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 10:25 PM

Why not do the Jacobson?

#10 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:06 PM

Why not do the Jacobson?

The Jacobson is a Tri-King golf course reel mower, doesn’t really suit my needs or wants. Although I have given thought to sourcing a 4th hydraulic drive motor and doing a 1 off articulated build. Haven't figured out a cost effective way to do it with hi/low so it hasn't moved forward.

#11 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:23 PM

So this evening while eating supper I remembered that I had another complete newer Kohler in a shed. I knew it was 16hp with crank and flywheel shafts but couldn't remember anything beyond that.

So curiosity killed the cat, boots back on, sweat pants and all through the snow I trekked to uncover my forgotten treasure. I have a complete low hour M16QA sitting waiting for a home. Anyone ever attempted to put one in a S before? How close is it? I had this to repower a Sears SS12 that I have but opted against it a few years back after figuring out that I'd have to lengthen the frame. Here's a pic of the Sears coming out of the graveyard on the New Holland "hook" just for fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20131019_134016.jpg

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:29 AM

I think the M16 would be much easier to fit than the diesel. It all hinges on how much fabricating you want to do.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,122 Thanks
  • 44,131 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 06:33 AM

The M16 would be a lot easier. You have to change the ignition switch out as the M16 needs a ground to kill.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,959 Thanks
  • 2,595 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 07:14 AM

I have an M12 in my NH S14.   fit right in. just a little wiring because of the electronic ignition. as long as the crank is the right diameter and length for the pto clutch, it's a "bolt in".  the M series is basically the same engine as your original except for the ignition system.

• KennyP and jsnyder7.3 have said thanks

#15 jsnyder7.3 OFFLINE  

jsnyder7.3
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 01:36 PM

Ok I decided on the M16 just to get the ole girl going again. It helps that my teenage son wants to help with the sway so we jumped right in. It started with cleaning up the motor for paint which led to pulling the head to decarbon. Then the question "Dad can we get a little more power out of it while we're doing this?" Which took us to a complete tear down. He's working on deburing the intake and exhaust runners. Next week when I can free up some time I'll be milling .050" off the head and decking the block, going for. 020" piston protrusion (I only run 92 octane non ethanol) and topping off with polished combustion chamber. Won't be a screamer by any means but it'll have a little more than stock. Plus the boy is learning a lot and actually wants to spend time with me! Should I continue updates in this thread or start a new one? Thanks again for the info and a great site!

Edited by jsnyder7.3, January 13, 2017 - 02:10 PM.

• KennyP said thank you