Garden Tractor Forums banner

Snow again! Oh, and again! Oh, and 1/4" of freezing rain!

3K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  Jazz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We got another 8" of snow in Eastern Washington State. That puts us at about 20" so far this season. This is way above our average. We're suppose to get a little more tonight and some more later in the week. I did get some seat time in the cub 1811 w/snow blower. The snow is nice and powdery so the blower worked really good. I did throw a snow chain so I will have to put that back on in the morning when there is more light.

Here's what it looked like out the front window of my house.

Snow Branch Freezing Slope Atmospheric phenomenon

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Lucky! This is the second winter we are dealing with no snow. Oh, the ground is coated FINALLY with around an inch but that's it. I know many of you wish for this but I've always looked at it this way, if it's going to be cold, there may as well be snow to go with it and give me reason to get out and move a little. Here it is the first week of January and I have yet to put my snow plow on. I never thought I would say this but I'm going to have to move south to get some snow.

#6 ·
Got our first real snow of the season Saturday. About 8" inches of powder. They're calling for rain and temps in the 50's through the week. Should make for a muddy mess.

Just curious Mark, but is the coast in general getting more snow than normal?
Most of Eastern Washington and Oregon are getting more snow then normal. The crazy part to me is we've had snow storms that seem to just hit the Southeastern part of Washington and Northeastern Oregon. Usually most of the snow moves past or around our area. Usually cities nearer to the Cascade Mts. get more snow then us. The cities on the very Eastern edge of Washington and into Idaho get more snow because of the Blue Mts. We sit in a basin that just doesn't normally get the moisture to form snow.

Reactions: tiretrx
#7 ·
Lucky! This is the second winter we are dealing with no snow. Oh, the ground is coated FINALLY with around an inch but that's it. I know many of you wish for this but I've always looked at it this way, if it's going to be cold, there may as well be snow to go with it and give me reason to get out and move a little. Here it is the first week of January and I have yet to put my snow plow on. I never thought I would say this but I'm going to have to move south to get some snow.
I was happy for the first two storms but I'm not as happy when this third storm hit within the last 4 weeks. I'm not tired of snow yet but if this continues I might be changing my tune!

Reactions: David Brown
#8 ·
The storms are all going around us. An inch or two here and there. It's what we get so often. Much more fun dealing with 6-8 inches than an inch.
I lived in Johnstown PA for a winter. With all of this snow it's starting to feel like Johnstown!

Reactions: EricFromPa
#10 ·
I was happy for the first two storms but I'm not as happy when this third storm hit within the last 4 weeks. I'm not tired of snow yet but if this continues I might be changing my tune!
A few years ago we were getting so much snow that I was indeed tired of it. It seems that once I got done with the driveways, I had to start over again. There is such a thing as too much but I don't think I'm asking too much when I ask for one good storm.

#13 ·
I lived in Johnstown PA for a winter. With all of this snow it's starting to feel like Johnstown!
They get a bit more snow than we do down over the mountain.Lots of funky weather because of Lake effect weather and being rite against the edge of the 1st big mountain range.Lots of nasty weather when lake effect winds slam into the side of the mountain.We get 1/2 the snow they do unless the winds dump it over the side like it did last winter.We got 32" in that last snow dump of last year and they only got around 18".We are 45 minutes SE down over the side of the Mountain.4 miles away is the peak of Blue Knob mountain,it gets hammered with winds and snow.Only thing up there is a Ski resort lol.

#14 ·
We just got another 4" of snow today! The city has about 7 snow plows and other equipment to try and keep the main streets clear but they're not getting to many of the side streets. With a population of 77,000 that means we have a lot of side streets. They've had to cancel school Monday and Tuesday of this weeks and probably a two hour late start tomorrow if we get a lot more snow tonight. I spent about an hour trying to clean up our cul-de-sac so the cars don't get stuck trying to turn around. I have some water damage to our sheetrock in our master bedroom because of some ice dams that have formed. I have to deal with that once it stops snowing. We also suppose to drop down to low single digits by Wednesday. This is turning out to be one hell of a winter for us!

Snow Tree Plant Branch Twig
Snow Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Snow Tree Bird Atmospheric phenomenon Twig
Snow Branch Plant Tree Automotive tire
Snow Nature Tree Fence Atmospheric phenomenon
Sky Snow Tree Plant Atmospheric phenomenon

Attachments

Reactions: EricR and KennyP
#16 ·
Sorry to hear about the water damage, Mark. That can be a real mess.

Is it a fair guess that most people your way don't have much in the way of snow removal machinery?
Very few people have snow blowers. Most people only have snow shovels. I would always laugh when the local hardware store stocked snow blowers at the beginning of fall! They were lucky to sell one during the season. I never thought I would even own a snow blower had it not come with this tractor when it was given to me.

It's still snowing and it's suppose to continue for another 2 hours! They predicted 1" to 2"!

#18 ·
So, the storm seems to be finished. It stopped at about 7p.m. last night but it dropped 2" more of snow in my driveway. That adds up to 6" total for the whole day. That brings our total for the year to 26". They're predicting another storm on Sunday and Monday. I found a roof rake at Lowes last night. This is a small miracle because they said they have never carried them before until they unexpectedly arrived in a shipment. It's telescopic and reaches over 14'. It worked great at getting the snow off of my roof. I also put some deicer on the roof to speed up the melting of my ice dam. As a result, I haven't noticed any more water damage to my bedroom ceiling.

I looked up our annual snow fall at U.S. climate data. It says we average an annual snow fall of 1" and our average annual rainfall of 7.75". Our record snow fall for a season is 34" in 1955-56. Looks like we might break that record!

Looks like I get more seat time in the Cub 1811 this morning helping the neighbors clean up from the storm!

Reactions: KennyP and Cjet69
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
It looks like the way the weather systems keep setting up you may be dealing with snow all winter. Over here we are just getting cool clear weather. It was about 23* last night which would be warm for you on the east side. The next couple of nights will be in the teens. Its been windy here. Bellingham had a gust of 70 mph yesterday with sustained winds around 35-45.

#21 ·
It looks like the way the weather systems keep setting up you may be dealing with snow all winter. Over here we are just getting cool clear weather. It was about 23* last night which would be warm for you on the east side. The next couple of nights will be in the teens. Its been windy here. Bellingham had a gust of 70 mph yesterday with sustained winds around 35-45.
I hope your wrong! :D

I glad the wind wasn't that bad for us.

Reactions: KennyP
#22 ·
I'm sure here in Pa we are going to pay for this not so nasty Winter. I'm not complaining by any means. Sorry to hear about those problems in Washington State
I don't think that we will have to worry about drought condition during the summer months this year. Our reservoirs should be busting at the seems during the spring and summer melt. Hope that won't be a problem for you in PA.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not a fan of the chute control on the Sears. It needs some tweaking. Cold enough today that got good traction and could really plow through the snow
Wife took pics from deck she just cleared, tomorrow I have to clear snow off roof on south side of house. We are getting our fair share of snow

Attachments

#25 ·
I'm not a fan of the chute control on the Sears. It needs some tweaking. Cold enough today that got good traction and could really plow through the snow
Wife took pics from deck she just cleared, tomorrow I have to clear snow off roof on south side of house. We are getting our fair share of snow
You referring to the push/pull rod for the chute? if so I love it, way easier then spinning my lever on my WH , You can change directions faster then anything out there, and because its just a push pull rod, its reliable. I have had to rewind the cable on my wh, also had the cable end slide out while in use. With the push pull, you can also jerk it back and forth real fast and clear the chute. IMO having the simple push pull lever really makes my life easy as it will be one thing I one thing that won't need fixing.

Only down side for me is that the sears don't get a full 90 degree.

#26 ·
You referring to the push/pull rod for the chute? if so I love it, way easier then spinning my lever on my WH , You can change directions faster then anything out there, and because its just a push pull rod, its reliable. I have had to rewind the cable on my wh, also had the cable end slide out while in use. With the push pull, you can also jerk it back and forth real fast and clear the chute. IMO having the simple push pull lever really makes my life easy as it will be one thing I one thing that won't need fixing.

Only down side for me is that the sears don't get a full 90 degree.
Mine has the worm gear type. It's a PIA to use. A lever type would be superior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.