• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 06:06 PM

My garden is plagued with quackgrass on one side... potatoes were full of holes from the roots. I'd like to get rid of it, without spraying (stepmom is against that...) the only other options I can think of is disking the snot out of it, or choking it out with something more competitive.

Has anyone tried using a cover crop like cereal rye? The neighbour grows it, so getting it is no issue.

What would the best way to terminate it? I would think knocking it down with a disk, and plowing it under, should do the job.

Are there other cover crops that would work to choke out weeds?

Is there any special needs to plant it? I'm hoping for an excuse to get a seeder of some sort for the tractors..

Thanks!

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,974 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm trying buckwheat. Good for wire worm, that get in to vegetables. Maybe good for weeds too, but not sure of that. Buckwheat is good for the soil too. Look it up on agriculture Canada web site, should be information there.

Noel
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 07:33 PM

not sure of the size of your gardens but down here in the the fall I bag all the mulched leaves and cover the garden with it then in the spring till it all in
  • Greasy6020 said thank you

#4 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 11:49 PM

not sure of the size of your gardens but down here in the the fall I bag all the mulched leaves and cover the garden with it then in the spring till it all in

I think it's 70x200

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,969 Thanks
  • 2,578 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 07:12 AM

I used to use buckwheat, easy to till in when it's time!

• propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 08:24 AM

Quackgrass grows from its root and a disc will cut them up and make more.  Use a field cultivator and work it at least 4"-5" deep. Do this several times over a month and you will slow it down.  It will creep back in from the perimeters.

Not sure a cover crop will have any affect on it as it will grow faster than the cover crop.  Possibly buck wheat may surpass it and grow taller and shade it out.

A little RoundUp would be you best bet. 

• Sawdust, FrozenInTime, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 569 Thanks
  • 459 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 08:10 PM

I happen to agree with ducky and the Roundup. That is the only way to get rid of Quack grass. (or everlasting grass as it was called when it was brought to this country.) Farmers used to try to till it out but to no avail in years gone by. It travels by seed or rhizome and very tough to eradicate. Roundup proved to be a godsend to get it gone. Spray it and in 10 days plant what you want.
  • ducky, FrozenInTime and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 12:28 PM

I have fought this for years.  Second best I have found is round-up.  I hate this stuff but it's either that or live with it, or do what I now do.  I use a cover crop every year of white clover.  My garden is 60 x 70, I fence off half of it.  I garden 30 x 70 each year.  The fenced off half I put a portable coup and put 15-20 chickens in it.  They eat/dig/destroy everything that comes up including quackgrass/dandylions, etc.  The cover crop goes in after butcher day and converts the high nitrogen chicken poop into usable fertilizer.  Rotate sides every couple years, it's incredible how my veggies grow!  Have not had to fertilize it since I started doing this.  The only thing I have to pull/kill is the left over seed from the straw when I use that between the rows and I usually just let that go unless it gets thick next to the veggie plants.  I bag the grass when I mow, that and fall leaves also go between rows, free green/brown fertilizer that also helps keep the weeds down. 

Can you fence the garden in/run chickens?  They eat very little feed as they eat what they dig, free eggs, free fertilizer, free, other than cost to purchase ($2 ea US or less) roasters/fryers, etc.  Free weed destroyers of sorts...LOL, just keep them away from the veggies, they will eat/scratch those to death too.

• Alc, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 07:48 PM

I have fought this for years. Second best I have found is round-up. I hate this stuff but it's either that or live with it, or do what I now do. I use a cover crop every year of white clover. My garden is 60 x 70, I fence off half of it. I garden 30 x 70 each year. The fenced off half I put a portable coup and put 15-20 chickens in it. They eat/dig/destroy everything that comes up including quackgrass/dandylions, etc. The cover crop goes in after butcher day and converts the high nitrogen chicken poop into usable fertilizer. Rotate sides every couple years, it's incredible how my veggies grow! Have not had to fertilize it since I started doing this. The only thing I have to pull/kill is the left over seed from the straw when I use that between the rows and I usually just let that go unless it gets thick next to the veggie plants. I bag the grass when I mow, that and fall leaves also go between rows, free green/brown fertilizer that also helps keep the weeds down.

Can you fence the garden in/run chickens? They eat very little feed as they eat what they dig, free eggs, free fertilizer, free, other than cost to purchase ($2 ea US or less) roasters/fryers, etc. Free weed destroyers of sorts...LOL, just keep them away from the veggies, they will eat/scratch those to death too.

I like that idea, I'd do that, but my stepmom is of the mindset that animals are not intended for food
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#10 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 569 Thanks
  • 459 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 08:09 PM

I like that idea, I'd do that, but my stepmom is of the mindset that animals are not intended for food

show her this

Joke of the day!

Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken."

She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed.

My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.

I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals ........very much.

I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office.

I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was.

I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken.

She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.

I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.

Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most.
I told her, "Colonel Sanders." Guess where I am now
  • olcowhand, Alc, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#11 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 11:19 PM

show her this

Joke of the day!

Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken."

She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed.

My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.

I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals ........very much.

I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office.

I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was.

I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken.

She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.

I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.

Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most.
I told her, "Colonel Sanders." Guess where I am now

Sure, then everyone here can attend my funeral. But I'm taking my hobby to the grave. My last request is to be buried sitting on my moto mower 6020. Good luck prying it out of my cold dead hands. IMG_1213.PNG

Edited by Greasy6020, January 12, 2017 - 11:20 PM.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 01:04 PM

Does she eat eggs?  Keep the chickens for pets.  I have a flock I use for eggs only, they are my pets, would not eat those.  A smaller flock of pets with egg benefits is nice.  You would just have to set up a more permanent coup to house them in, couple more $$s to get going but in my opinion, well worth it.  I built mine out of scrounged wood and they look nice.  Could still work for you.

#13 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 03:32 PM

Does she eat eggs? Keep the chickens for pets. I have a flock I use for eggs only, they are my pets, would not eat those. A smaller flock of pets with egg benefits is nice. You would just have to set up a more permanent coup to house them in, couple more $$s to get going but in my opinion, well worth it. I built mine out of scrounged wood and they look nice. Could still work for you.

I'm a step ahead of you on that. We have chickens, but they stay inside. Mink and weasel are pretty common here