15 replies to this topic

#1 gbarger OFFLINE  

gbarger

• Member No: 3614
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi all at GTtalk,
I'm new to the forum and to garden tractors. My neighbor recently gave me a Cub Cadet 126 he had sitting in his yard for many years. After replacing the gas tank, spark plug, plug wire and rebuilding the carb I finally got it running, pretty well too if I do say so.
In my infinite wisdom I decided to give it a bath before doing more maintenace on it. I let it dry in the sun for a few hours and when I returned to give it an oil change I found it won't start. I then inspected all the wiring to see if I knocked something loose but all seems fine (new harness ASAP however). I then removed the plug and cranked it a few times with it connected to the plug wire and there is no spark. I figure I need a new ignition coil but wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions before I spend a ton of money on parts I don't need.
Thanks for a great forum.
Geoff

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like you may have grounded or loosened a connection with the water.
  • gbarger said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Is there a coil on it? How about water in on the points? Can you take a few pics of the stuff under the hood?

:welcome: to GTTalk!
  • gbarger said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 08:20 PM

:wave: gbarger Welcome to GTTalk! I agree with the posts above. Could even be water in the ignition switch. Some pics would definitely help!
  • gbarger said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 10:25 PM

I would give it a little more time to dry. I don't think washing it would have ruined the coil. If anything it might be water in the ignition switch or another wire that is shorted. I would grab a multimeter and start checking continuity through the whole ignition side of the wiring. Might go out tomorrow and it will start and be fine.
  • gbarger said thank you

#6 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:11 AM

You may want to spray wd-40 on all the wires. I have found it to be a good wire drier.
  • gbarger said thank you

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:15 AM

ditto on th WD-40
  • gbarger said thank you

#8 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Also, try checking for spark with a new plug. I,ve had em foul on me if they were hot after a good washing.
  • gbarger said thank you

#9 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:14 AM

grab a test light and make sure you have 12 volts at the + terminal on the coil. thats the easiest way to eliminate that question. remove points cover and check that as well. make sure they arent burned or pitted too bad and that the wire going to the points is in good condition AND that the gap is at least pretty close to spec. if still no spark replace the condenser. also note that sometimes new plugs can be defective. while the ignition system on these engines is outdated, its still a great system. all components are external from the flywheel. there are also aftermarket electronic systems available.
  • gbarger said thank you

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I agree with the wet/fouled points or fouled plug. Those points can be finicky, make sure they are dry and gap correctly. Welcome to GT Talk by the way. Glad you are here! You will find really quickly that this bunch LOVES pictures, doesn't even matter of what.
  • gbarger said thank you

#11 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yah! We'll look at anything..........:dancingbanana:

#12 gbarger OFFLINE  

gbarger

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks everyone, your comments prevented me from giving up too soon. It turned out to be either one of two things or both. First, the wires are original and most of the insulation is gone and second I think the ignition coil was still wet. I went out after reading all of your replies and chck out the wire under the dash. I wrapped them all in electrical tape then tried to start it. I acked like it was only getting spark once or twice in the 30 seconds I held the key on start. I then took the wires off the coil and wiped it down with a dry rag and it fired right up. I suspect that water was still making contact with both sides of the coil. I will still replace the harness pretty quick but I do plan to fully restore over the winter.
I changed the oil with 30 weight. I also drained the transmission (manual) and I'm sure glad I did, it was 1/2 full of WATER!
As you can see it is not very pretty but runs well. It now has a new home in my garage. I have the deck off it in this picture because it is easier to change the fluids.
I will post new picks and questions as I go through the restoration.
Thanks again for the great forum!
Geoff from Harpers Ferry

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0093.jpg

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 03:51 PM

My brother has a CC 106, and the wiring was a mess. So he went to our local Case/IH dealer & would you believe....they had a complete wiring harness IN STOCK! I can't remember for sure, but I believe it was around $75. He said it was worth it due to the time it would have taken him to make a new harness. He never dreamed they could even get the harness, much less carry it in stock.
  • gbarger said thank you

#14 gbarger OFFLINE  

gbarger

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 03:54 PM

I've seen several on ebay and on parts tree. I would like a new one since I'm gonna restore. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check the web.
Cheers

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 04:00 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Glad you got it running again. Those are tough tractors. I will be following along on your restore.