8 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 2,714 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 10:29 AM

When I left CT I wasn't sure what type of driveway I would have when I settled up here in NH. I also wasn't sure what type of snow to expect either.  I brought my little 5hp Ariens with me to get started. I have tractors with plows and a snowblower , but they aren't ready yet. We're almost done unpacking the house and it's time to work on the garage to make a workspace before I can get to those. Hopefully for next year.

Which leads me to the snowblower . The little machine can't handle the slushy stuff I've been getting here. My old house was at 925' above sea level, now I'm at 269', big difference. That and I'm closer to the coastal influences.  It just doesn't throw it! So..... I upgraded. I went with another Ariens ,this time the Platinum 24" model. Biggest engines,cast iron gear box, best snow throwing, easy chute controls, heated hand grips( not sure I'll use that) and a new drive system that automatically releases when you turn. That feature will allow my wife to handle it without too much difficulty. I went with the 24" instead of the 30" (next size in this category/package) for that reason too. As you'll see by the driveway pic, it's not that big to make a huge difference.

Here's the pics of my driveway and the old and the new  snowblowers side by side.

the driveway standing at the garage 

IMG_2561.jpg

and the snowblowers

IMG_2567.jpg IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg IMG_2570.jpg

* I've lost the ability to download multiple pics at once. Must be part of the new software???

• Bolens 1000, EricFromPa, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,114 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 10:41 AM

Quite a difference in blowers. Looks like a big driveway. New one certainly looks like it will do the job and throw the snow. What hp is the new one ?

Noel
  • boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 05:46 PM

My little craftsman 5/22 had a 5hp Tecumseh engine on it and would bog down and stall a good bit.

I put a OHV 6.5hp Tecumseh Powersport engine in it off of a Manco Gocart I had here a few months ago for an engine swap.PO gave me the old engine.I decided to throw a couple $$ into it and see if i could get it to run.After getting another carb for it and adjusting the valves it fired rite up and run awesome.

Popped it on the blower and rigged up a throttle lever off of an old Push mower and away it went.I had it in some really really wet snow up on the alley and it tried to plug up but the engine is ALOT stronger.I just fed it more and it cleared it's self out.The block of slush and ice it pushed out looked like a loaf of bread lol.

Those little blowers impellers spin quite a bit faster than the larger blowers.They need more power than what they have.My 5/22 has a 9" impeller and I bet it spins twice as fast as the impeller in the White snow boss 8/27 I gave my brother does.That big boy has an 11" impeller.

If you think a little more power would help I would definitely recommend putting something like a 6.5hp-8hp engine on her.It makes a HUGE diference.One of those cheap 6.5hp Honda clone engines will fit on it if you move the chute control out about 3-3 1/2 inches.I can take some pics of my blower and what I did to make the engine work on it if you want.

Some Older Ariens blowers did have a dual drive system if I remember correctly.1 pulley on the crank and 1 pulley on the Cam.If yours has just the 2 pulleys on the crank you can put a bigger engine on it.The difference in Torque between the 5hp flat head and 6.5hp OHV is HUGE.  

Can't use the 110v electric starter on the 6.5hp engine but it does start in 1-2 pulls every time so that doesn't bug me at all.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 07, 2017 - 05:49 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,906 Thanks
  • 4,964 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 06:02 PM

Nice looking blower. That bigger engine will be handy. We have two Ariens with a replacement engines which are bigger. Sure is nice to have that extra power.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 2,714 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 07:06 PM

Quite a difference in blowers. Looks like a big driveway. New one certainly looks like it will do the job and throw the snow. What hp is the new one ?

Noel

396cc or 11 hp

• shorty and propane1 have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 07:37 PM

11hp with 24" cut wow ya that should do the job lol. How big is the impeller in the new one? Looks big enough to eat the smaller blower.Looks alot bigger than the 11" impeller in the mtd built White 8/27. 

Heard those ohv briggs engines are really easy on fuel to.Haven't had any here to work on yet so I don't really know.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,313 Thanks
  • 2,967 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 07:41 PM

Oh nvm I found specs on it. It has a 14" impeller and total machine weight is 250lbs.That thing is a beast.

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 2,714 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 08:10 AM

I used it this morning, 3" of the fluffy stuff. I was able to use the whole 24"on a single pass. Threw the stuff a good 25-30' from what i could see through the blowback. it needs some adjustment as it left about 1/4" on the driveway. The hill at the end needs to be clear for me to get up with my 2wd. I'm sure once the scraper gets ground in ,it may be okay. I did use the hand warmers (lol) because it was 7º out. Overall it was twice as fast as the old machine, a lot quieter , easier to maneuver. I'm happy so far. 

Eric, I did think of fixing up the old one with a larger engine, I have a 7hp predator engine hanging around,  but the front housing is starting to come apart, and the axle has a lot of slop. Nothing a welder and some new bearings/ bushings couldn't fix, but let the next guy do that so I can get back to my tractors.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#9 delray OFFLINE  

delray
  • Member No: 85635
  • 5 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 11:11 AM

Tractorholic, i have been working on couple ohh-tecumseh motors this last summer. one that was built for racing around on a minibike and another mild built tecumseh engine just for fun using stock parts.

mild built engine i milled the head .040 off

20160801_000426.jpg

i also just ported around the bowls into the intake runner area only and exhaust side too. just clean it up little.

didn't hog anything out.

also found that the intake does not match the block ,so i port match that too.

20160803_125454.jpg

clean up the intake side too.

20160803_125511.jpg

installed a new replacement carb from a hs-40 or hs-50 with adjustable idle and jetting, factory is a fix jet only.....no good to have.

i also believe they do make a adjustable carb with the crank vent tube hook up. for me i set that up different with just a filter plug into the rubber line coming from the valve cover. work as a crank vent breather.

20160827_184918.jpg

i advance my timing to 30 degrees. factory is around 20 or so degrees.

not running the governor anymore so they do make a billet rod and i did run one in my tecumseh built motor. but for this last mild built engine i just polish the rod beam up.

20160630_010935.jpg

20160731_154638.jpg

head was the most work i had to put into it.

i installed a set of automotive style retainers and keepers and us i stiffer spring. had to also machine some material off the inside of the keeper to clear my new thicker style spring(briggs spring #15pound)

20160507_122307.jpg

20160507_122411.jpg

had to make a spacer for the one side.

20160507_001414.jpg

i don't have any pictures of the cam. the factory cam is made out of plastic. i replace it with a hs-50 cam out of a flathead engine.

cam i found that works the best is the last flathead motors. they are lighter because they machine out some of the cam material so it can hold the valve relief. i just take that part off. also could leave it on. also the newer cams have about .010 more cam lob then the older units have.

these are some easy hop ups if you have the ability to do it.thumbsup.gif just think how far you could throw it when your engine is turning 5000+ rpm's

blower.gif