Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 05:57 AM

Allan (MH81) I can agree with you 100% about trying to use the Sears web site . Maybe its changed but every time I wanted to find some tool ,it had the worst search features most times I just gave up . In this day of online ordering you better have a good web site for people . For example we use NAPA for some parts and years ago I got so pissed off on how slow their web site was to use I sent them a email telling them to go to RockAuto to see how its done lol . Through the years its improved but I still can find the same part quicker at RockAuto .
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#32 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,339 Thanks
  • 779 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 08:30 AM

The thing about websites is that Google and Amazon has it nailed. I don't understand why the hard to use sites don't just copy them.

I agree with the NAPA site. It's a giant pain on the butt.
  • Alc and adamjd200 have said thanks

#33 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,719 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 09:03 AM

I used to love Sears.  I shopped for everything there.  They had everything too.  Now, the stores are barely the same.  They don't carry the same items.  I like Ace hardware and adding the Craftsman line made me like them more.  I stopped in a Kmart a few days ago.  I couldn't believe it.  It was a horrible experience.  There was nothing appealing about the store at all.  It looked run down and dirty.

I noticed a decline in Black and Decker years ago.  I recently bought DeWalt tools.  I really like them.  They seem like quality items.  I have the 20 volt lithium tools.  I also bought some Craftsman lithium batteries for my Craftsman cordless set I retired to camp.  There is no comparison in the two brands.  The DeWalt is the hands down winner.  I did consider Milwakee, but am glad I went with DeWalt.  

I haven't had many Craftsman tools break.  If I remember correctly, one socket, a phillips head screw driver and an axe handle.  They were all promptly replaced.  I have gotten my money's worth out of them too.  I stopped buying Craftsman when they weren't all made in America.  I try to buy American if at all possible.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#34 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Would you guys use a thread on Made In USA where we mention things still made here and give a review?
  • daytime dave, HDWildBill and WHdbJD have said thanks

#35 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 10:21 AM

Would you guys use a thread on Made In USA where we mention things still made here and give a review?

Start it. It would be interesting to see how long the thread would be. I'm not sure how many products are still made in the USA.

#36 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 11:36 AM

I think that is a good idea.  Might want to pin it if it get the attention we think it might.

Trouble with "Made in USA" these days is if there is more than one part to the product then where did the parts come from?  So many products are made overseas then assembled here in the US and sold as "made in US"  but in reality it was made overseas.  Harley is made in the US but when you work on one you had better have a good set of metric tools.  Manufacturers will twist the truth any way they can to get your money.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#37 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 663 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:02 PM

You mean I won't be able to get a mail-order bride anymore..???   OR buy a house from their catalog..   How a'm I going to make it...

?????????????????????       Do they even have a catalog any more ???   You mean I will have to buy real toilet-paper..????

• KennyP, HDWildBill, adamjd200 and 1 other said thanks

#38 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,883 Thanks
  • 4,537 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 02:06 PM

A few thoughts; Malls going under is a common theme, they didn't exist when I was a kid, we had shopping centers, not true malls.
NAPA Has a site for shops called Pro Link and it works terrifically, unlike the public site.
Sears didn't keep up with the times, neither did Studebaker, etc... Good product, good service and good marketing, may still not be enough, but miss either and you're on the spiral to gone.
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#39 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,599 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 06:52 AM

I keep thinking of this thread . I'm making a bathroom vanity and matching cabinet for above the toilet. I'm using so many tools I bought at Sears , table saw , radial arm saw , sanding attachment for it. Clamps the list goes on and on . Just about every drawer there's something with Craftsman name on it , the more I think ,the sadder I get for a brand that I've used for so many years.
  • daytime dave, MH81, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#40 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,033 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 07:31 AM

nobody should be sad or upset about this it's the only way craftsman can survive. it's a separate company than sears,
sears will continue selling craftsman for another 15 years as part of the agreement that is if sears can survive. ace/tru value already carry craftsman and there are big rumors Walmart is going to carry craftsman.
  • Alc said thank you

#41 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,021 Thanks
  • 2,592 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 08:17 AM

This really doesn't bother me that much!  I have some Craftsman wrenches that I bought in 1970, still as good as ever.  I started out with Craftsman power tools because of availability, stopped using them when every time I called for parts, the phone number had changed (this was in the 80's).  The Sears store in St Joe, MO is one of the ones closing, haven't been in it in years.  Was in the St Joe Kmart last week, lots of water catching bags hanging from the ceiling, departments thinned out, I don't think it'll be there long! 

#42 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,883 Thanks
  • 4,537 posts

Posted January 08, 2017 - 12:25 PM

Our Kmart is going strong, but our Sears looks like a skeleton. Sears won't be selling Craftsman or anything else in 15 years, or 5, unless a big player buys and revamps them completely.

• Alc and UncleWillie have said thanks

#43 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,168 Thanks
  • 2,857 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 02:44 PM

Here is all the brands Stanleys has. http://www.stanleybl...s/tools-storage

I have had better luck with Stanleys Tools than the new craftsman. I also saw today that they are opening $35 million factory in the us .

Edited by bbuckler, January 09, 2017 - 02:44 PM.

• MH81, Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#44 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,719 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 08:12 PM

Alan,

I'd like to see a thread or whole or sub forum for made In America.  There are plenty of quality items still made here, it just takes a bit of digging.  Stanley is a good example.  I was blah about them until they invested in America, so to speak.  I like that they want to make things here.  It makes me like them more.

Make the thread, they will come.  Lets help make America great again!

#45 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Alan,

I'd like to see a thread or whole or sub forum for made In America.  There are plenty of quality items still made here, it just takes a bit of digging.  Stanley is a good example.  I was blah about them until they invested in America, so to speak.  I like that they want to make things here.  It makes me like them more.

Make the thread, they will come.  Lets help make America great again!

We started a thread, see if you can add something to it.
http://gardentractor...nd-proud-of-it/