Is Sears even owned by Sears anymore? 

Kmart bought Sears a while back.

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,936 Thanks
  • 8,197 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I think it was that Sears bought Kmart awhile back and that Kmart was in much worse shape than they knew. Kenny made a good point about Sears, they should have stuck with their roots. They had a website for online shopping but it was as FUBAR as anything I saw in the Army. Even the sales people at the stores hated the site. In the about 10 years that I tried to use the site, failures were about twice as often as successes. That drove people away.

For us the Black Friday sale at Sears was necessary to up date major appliances and tools. The washer and dryer are now 12 years old and starting to make noises. I was going to replace them next November. The spring clearance at Kmart was great for next years' winter clothes. Kmart used to sell Remington .22LR at $6 per brick. The good old days. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 06, 2017 - 10:44 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#19 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,293 Thanks
  • 4,048 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 10:44 AM

The era of the dynamic high quality department store is over, don't know all the reasons why, but take a look at Miracle on 34th Street sometime, see the buzz of all the big department stores and the downtown in general. Now downtown and most of the store are dead or dying. Wards, Ames, Nichols, Kressage, Penny's is on life support along with Sears and Kmart.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,105 Thanks
  • 1,341 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 10:48 AM

Our Sears store is closing end of January and also J C Penny's. Sad  news here

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,304 Thanks
  • 5,353 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 12:16 PM

Kmart bought Sears a while back.

I think it was that Sears bought Kmart awhile back

Actually big wheel Edward Lampert bought a bankrupt Kmart in 2003, then bought Sears in 2004 and combined them under the Sears Holding company so technically he bought both companies and then merged them.

• Alc, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,326 Thanks
  • 5,484 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 01:05 PM

he bought both companies and then merged them.

Might as well kill them both at the same time. Kmart doesn't bother me but I kind of hate to see Sears go down the drain. Guess it's because I grew up enjoying their catalogs and day dreaming about their motorcycles and garden tractors. Kind of like legendary  Herter's catalogs. Wish I'd kept one of those. 

• olcowhand, Alc, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#23 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,844 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 04:46 PM

so as I was told, black and Decker/Stanley made the purchase of craftsman, who is the biggest retailer that carries black and Decker and Stanley??? walmart....
take a guess where craftsman going.

as for sears Kmart, face the facts they are dead. I recently bought a dryer at sears, best price I was the only person in the store and at 1115am the first sale of that day,
  • boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#24 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 984 Thanks
  • 549 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 05:59 PM

Our local Sears is closing in April. We took some tools back other day. Shelf's are about bare of sockets and screwdrivers. Shame as me and my dad would walk isles just looking around!

• Bmerf and adamjd200 have said thanks

#25 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 06:41 PM

... Go figure Kmart had such good food in their little restaurants,, Chocolate cream pie!

And the best subs! Made to order; fresh. Remember going to K-mart as a little one; both the old one and the 'new' one. Local store has been closed for at least 20 years. Now part of that store has a Harbor Freight and a Big Lots.

My, how times have changed; or have they?

Sears used to be 'up scale', and the place to buy the best. Around here, their demise started when they moved out of the old building and into the new mall. Prices went through the roof. Now the mall barely has any stores; rent is way to much. Cheaper for all the little stores to build their own strip malls and they have sprang up all around the old 'shopping district.'

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#26 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,214 Thanks
  • 703 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 09:34 PM

Stanley bought Craftsman tools for $ 525 million upfront and $ 250 million in three years plus a royalty for tools that Stanley sells for 15 years. Sears will continue to sell Craftsman tools royalty free for 15 years. Stanley is planning to increase Craftsman production in New Britain, Connecticut(remember the New Britain tools sold by NAPA stores years ago). They want to increase the number of distribution outlets selling Craftsman tools. They need more sales to recoup their $ 775 million plus royalties. Estimates are that its a billion dollar deal. At some point you will see Craftsman in places other than Sears, KMart and Ace Hardware. You have to sell a butt load of $ 89 tool sets to make up a billion dollars. I don't think you have to worry about lack of access to stores that will have them. And they will make them in America. Stanley is wise enough to know that the people buying tools like that appreciate quality and Made in America.

Stanley owns Black & Decker(that I don't care for) and I believe they still own Dewalt. Dewalt came from B&D. B&D had a line of tools that were outstanding. Then they started cheapening them up and quality & durabilty dropped damaging the name. B&D regrouped, improved things, but by then the name was too damaged. They hung Dewalt on it, made them yellow and were off and running. Stanley knows those lessons and I expect them to improve the line with time.
  • ducky, MH81, shorty and 1 other said thanks

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,194 Thanks
  • 29,411 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 10:33 PM

I have always had a soft spot for Kmart.
Have to tip my hat to them that they are sticking it out this long vs Goliath.

BUT?.. I was on Sears website today. PITA to try to use a mobile device. Terrible navigation.
Stuff like that can make a difference. I'm willing to try a few times but eventually I give up.
  • Alc, ericjr16 and toppop52 have said thanks

#28 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,938 Thanks
  • 8,094 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:05 AM

To be honest - Stanley can't make it any worse than it has become in the last couple of years. 

BTW B&D owns more than one or two brands.

https://en.wikipedia...ker#Power_tools

Edited by UncleWillie, January 07, 2017 - 12:07 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#29 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,750 Thanks
  • 1,901 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:09 AM

And the best subs! Made to order; fresh. Remember going to K-mart as a little one; both the old one and the 'new' one. Local store has been closed for at least 20 years. Now part of that store has a Harbor Freight and a Big Lots.

My, how times have changed; or have they?

Sears used to be 'up scale', and the place to buy the best. Around here, their demise started when they moved out of the old building and into the new mall. Prices went through the roof. Now the mall barely has any stores; rent is way to much. Cheaper for all the little stores to build their own strip malls and they have sprang up all around the old 'shopping district.'

They took the restaurant out of the store I used to shop at in PA years ago, a big one here is closing this year, Sears is already gone, the malls are going under left and right, many of the malls I went to as a kid are derelict at best. Search dead malls on YouTube and look for Berkshire mall in PA.
  • Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#30 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,750 Thanks
  • 1,901 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:15 AM

To be honest - Stanley can't make it any worse than it has become in the last couple of years. 

BTW B&D owns more than one or two brands.

https://en.wikipedia...ker#Power_tools

Wow, I have and regularly use quite a few of those brands, Home Depot ruined Husky Tools imo, they used to be good tools, I like SK but there isn't a decent dealer around here.