Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 7,711 Thanks
  • 4,313 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 10:47 PM

Sears,  who is eyebrow deep in water and really struggling,  has sold the Craftsman name to Black & Decker. Sears will carry the Black & Decker Craftsman tools. 

I believe this will only prolong the demise of Sears a short while.  Glug, glug, glug.

• MH81, grnspot110, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,189 Thanks
  • 5,429 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 11:09 PM

It's too bad but I think Sears is destine to the same fate as Monkey Wards. 

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,711 Thanks
  • 1,860 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 11:26 PM

The question I have is what happens to the lifetime warranty? I quit buying new Craftsman tools a long time ago, most tools that I buy now are Harbor Freight, TSC, or used.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,766 Thanks
  • 8,070 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 12:29 AM

I heard on the TV that Sears, K Mart, and Macy's are closing a bunch of stores nationwide. The closest Sears used to be 20 minutes away now it is 60 minutes. This will give Walmart and Target even more business.

I have softspots for Sears and K Mart. Sears has been getting more difficult to get them to honor their lifetime warrauntee for tools. When the stores close, the lifetime warauntee will probably end. So will an era. Good Luck, Rick
  • Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,752 Thanks
  • 1,112 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 12:38 AM

I bought Sears tool set 38 years ago and have only broken 2 sockets and wore out 2 of the ratchets so I think i got my $89 worth and not concerned about warranty at this point. Go figure Kmart had such good food in their little restaurants,, Chocolate cream pie!

Edited by Jazz, January 06, 2017 - 12:39 AM.

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,148 Thanks
  • 733 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 01:08 AM

I may be alone on this but I think everything must come to an end, without ending we cannot have new beginnings. We stopped manufacturing good things years ago so the tools we use to work on those things were destined to go the same way. Let's just hope we can bring back something better in its wake. If we all stop fixing things everyone is bound to notice when they can no longer drive that car or get that latte.
  • hamman, Cvans, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,142 Thanks
  • 41,978 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 05:45 AM

Wonder what will happen on the parts side! Lots of tractors out there with that name on them!

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,993 Thanks
  • 6,918 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 06:41 AM

A lot of my woodworking tool I bought years ago were Craftsman , most made in USA . Back then there weren't many places here to buy homeowner tools . You could buy top shelf at the lumber yards but for people like me Sears was the way to go . Now so many places within 20 miles that sell tools around me ,there are at least  10 HD and Lowes  stores ( there might be even more ! )    2 HF  so much competition  .

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,805 Thanks
  • 29,241 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 06:56 AM

Wonder what will happen on the parts side! Lots of tractors out there with that name on them!

Appliances will be a problem.
There was about a decade where Sears owned the market with Kenmore.
Unfortunately, they decided that $ was worth more than quality and started having the cheapest make the stuff. Bidding wars can be good as long as the quality remains the same. They trained the mfg to build cheap and the customers continued to buy because "Hey, it's a Kenmore... it has to be good."
I am seeing a slight turn in a few products. Speed Queen is doing well. LG is consistent. GE and Whirlpool/Maytag continue to cheapen their products and are continuing to slide.
  • Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,324 Thanks
  • 4,496 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 07:02 AM

It feels like all the of the big mall anchors are struggling. We were in a Sears a few month back and I was surprised how empty the shelves were. The only section decently stocked was the tools. Probably that is what kept that store open so far.
  • Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,111 Thanks
  • 5,258 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 07:46 AM

Appliances will be a problem.
There was about a decade where Sears owned the market with Kenmore.
Unfortunately, they decided that $ was worth more than quality and started having the cheapest make the stuff. Bidding wars can be good as long as the quality remains the same. They trained the mfg to build cheap and the customers continued to buy because "Hey, it's a Kenmore... it has to be good."
I am seeing a slight turn in a few products. Speed Queen is doing well. LG is consistent. GE and Whirlpool/Maytag continue to cheapen their products and are continuing to slide.

We have a Kenmore washer and dryer, I had to replace the dogs in the top of the washer to turn the agitator ( 22yrs old) and I just replaced the high limit and temp relays in the dryer last week ( 20 yrs old). I bet the newer ones won't last that long.

My mom has a GE washer that's about 10 yrs old, she has about rebuilt that whole washer in that time.

They close our local Sears hardware store last year, they said it was because so much was getting shoplifted. Maybe that was just an excuse to cover the decline.

My wife bought me a Craftsman drill a few years ago, it had interchangeable heads. Funny, when I went to look for attachments, B&D had a similar drill and every thing swapped over. I guess B&D was making that drill for them 3-4 yrs ago.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,400 Thanks
  • 7,046 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 08:01 AM

My Ace has had Craftsman tools and vacs, mowers, about anything the big stores had for a few years now. I was figuring they would sell that name, but was thinking maybe ACE was a buyer. Guess not.  I never go to Sears, but use the ACE a lot. I too see the Sears name going down soon, OR, a Chinese company will buy just the name and try to sell their junk here under that name.  Schwinn bicycles comes to mind that way.

• Alc, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,805 Thanks
  • 29,241 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 08:16 AM

We have a Kenmore washer and dryer, I had to replace the dogs in the top of the washer to turn the agitator ( 22yrs old) and I just replaced the high limit and temp relays in the dryer last week ( 20 yrs old). I bet the newer ones won't last that long.
My mom has a GE washer that's about 10 yrs old, she has about rebuilt that whole washer in that time.
They close our local Sears hardware store last year, they said it was because so much was getting shoplifted. Maybe that was just an excuse to cover the decline.
My wife bought me a Craftsman drill a few years ago, it had interchangeable heads. Funny, when I went to look for attachments, B&D had a similar drill and every thing swapped over. I guess B&D was making that drill for them 3-4 yrs ago.

Those products were made by Whirlpool and until about 7 years ago, I would've said they were of similar quality.
Now, expect roughly the following
Year one $399 machine: trouble free
At about 18 months, the shifter will fail. If it doesn't the slutch ass'y will :$150
Year two end ok,but in year three the rest of drive will fail. Often gearbox too, but to be conservative : $200
Year four will see little things you haven't replaced yet...
Year 5 the motor or control board will fail.
No longer cost effective. Buy new machine at 399 and start it over.

In 5 years, you have spent 1100

A new speed Queen is 799-850 and the 850 unit COMES WITH a 5 year warranty.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#14 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,913 Thanks
  • 1,771 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 08:18 AM

The question I have is what happens to the lifetime warranty?

The lifetime warranty was for the lifetime of Sears, not the tools...
  • MH81, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,951 Thanks
  • 8,655 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 09:26 AM

The news story I heard said that pressure from online retailers was causing the stores to close.  I think it is ironic that the very business model, shopping from home, that made Sears a household name is going to be it's demise.  Online shopping is nothing more then looking at a catalog in cyber space so why can't a pioneer return to it's roots and do well. 

As far as the tools go, why should I buy tools that are made in china at nearly double what HF wants with the same warranty?  Craftsman should have stayed with "Made in the USA" and they would probably be riding high right now with the sentiment that is currently happening.  Over the years I have had to replace some of my craftsman tools and like stated over the past decade it has become harder and harder to get Sears to back up their warranty.  I had an Allen socket brake a while back and HF replaced it with no questions.  The sales lady just went over picked a new on up and handed it to us, no paperwork nothing.  

As Alan pointed out these once respected companies are only interested in $$$ and now just build crap.  Who ever heard of an exploding washing machine growing up???  

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks