6 replies to this topic

#1 jdslednut OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 632 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 12:34 AM

Got my new 314 running after a good tank cleaning, carb kit, and new fuel lines. I drove it to my freshly cleaned school shop (last day today - woohoo!) It has its rough spots but should turn into a good usable machine. Previous owner adjusted the steering to almost zero-turn to the left but therefore it leave almost no right turn. I'll have to work on that. The fender pan is banged up and the mule drive shield is partially broken off so I'll have to look for one of those. It seems to run like a champ though.

JD 314 003.jpg

JD 314 007.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• JD 314 006.jpg
  • JD 314 002.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:29 AM

Congratulations on your "new" JD .

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 04:55 AM

That looks to be in pretty good shape. I just got a 314 a month or so ago. The steering linkage can be disconnected and the wheel centred, it's not a big job. The parts diagrams are all on jdparts.com. There is a 140 document in the manuals section that covers some maintenance on the 140. The steering gear adjustment procedure is the same on the 314 if you need to get the free play out of the steering. Some things to check. Front axle centre pivot bushings. These tend to go due to there not being a grease fitting. They are cheap and easy to replace. Also check for broken motor mounts. The drive shaft and couplers are also another source of trouble. Check the shaft to make sure that the front coupler at the engine is not stripping out. On mine you could turn the shaft about 30 degrees. The key had eroded the coupler. New couplers are available. Also at the hydro end of the shaft check the coupler at the hydro unit itself. If this wears it can grind away the input shaft to the hydro and it costs many $ to get that sorted. Check the points for proper gap and condition. Mine would barely run because they were pitted and out of adjustment. Good luck with it. They are a good choice in an older tractor because there are a lot of parts still available.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:07 AM

Jeff, you are like me ... can't keep just one brand. Very nice John Deere 314 you got and glad to hear you got it running good. I don't think the steering would be too hard of an adjustment and the other parts that you need don't sound like the expensive ones.

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,490 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:27 AM

Pretty nice looking tractor ! Good luck with it , Al

#6 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Good tractors keep up the good work

#7 deereowner OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4179
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Congrats! I just picked up a JD 420 and can't wait to get out and see what it can do.