• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 05:35 PM

Well, I can't put a filter on it. First I don't have fittings to hook it in. Second this is not like a hydro with an open center spool. If I did hook a fliter in, when I changed directions with the valve, all that trash would just go back the other way. I'll just purge whatever I hook to it.

We have a fuel tank! Got the mount made up and hooked the line to the carb.

DSCN2506.JPG    DSCN2507.JPG

The large zip ties I found in the road, a whole package of them.

I found a bit more room in my slots to move the pump back more. That should help as I know that belt will stretch some.

DSCN2508.JPG    DSCN2509.JPG

I the last pic you can see a chalk mark across. That is where the mount was at.

• olcowhand, sacsr, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#32 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,506 Thanks
  • 2,469 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 07:52 PM

Looks good.  Is that the only oil drain on the engine or is there another plug on the other side?  The reason I ask is if that is the drain you may want to cut a hole where the plug is to make draining the oil less messy - just a suggestion.

• KennyP said thank you

#33 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 03:52 AM

Well, I can't put a filter on it. First I don't have fittings to hook it in. Second this is not like a hydro with an open center spool. If I did hook a fliter in, when I changed directions with the valve, all that trash would just go back the other way. I'll just purge whatever I hook to it.

Kenny that filter should be in the return line between the control valve and the tank.  I think there would be a screen filter on the pick up tube to protect the pump.

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 06:02 AM

Kenny that filter should be in the return line between the control valve and the tank.  I think there would be a screen filter on the pick up tube to protect the pump.

The valve is built into the pump, Don. And there is no screen. Here's a pic of the innards. The spring is for the valve return to neutral.

DSCN2490.JPG

• olcowhand and ducky have said thanks

#35 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:18 PM

Kenny does that pump have two output for dual acting cylinders or to reverse a motor.

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:31 PM

Kenny does that pump have two output for dual acting cylinders or to reverse a motor.

Not sure what you mean? Depending on which way you move the handle, one side sends fluid out and the other returns it to the pump. Just like an in line valve.

• ducky said thank you

#37 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 01:49 PM

Not sure what you mean? Depending on which way you move the handle, one side sends fluid out and the other returns it to the pump. Just like an in line valve.

That would be a two way valve.  One outlet on the pump.  Fluid is sent out under pressure in one direction and allowed to return back to tank in the other direction though the same port if pressure is applied to the cylinder rod to push it back.

Do I have that right?

For a test unit it may be handy to add a four way valve, one that would have a Pump, Tank, and the A and B port so you could operate the test item in both directions.  It would take adding a fitting to the tank for the return line.  Then the filter could be put in that line to keep dirt out of the pump.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 02:58 PM

That would be a two way valve.  One outlet on the pump.  Fluid is sent out under pressure in one direction and allowed to return back to tank in the other direction though the same port if pressure is applied to the cylinder rod to push it back.

Do I have that right?

For a test unit it may be handy to add a four way valve, one that would have a Pump, Tank, and the A and B port so you could operate the test item in both directions.  It would take adding a fitting to the tank for the return line.  Then the filter could be put in that line to keep dirt out of the pump.

I won't mod the pump, Don. I plan to install it on my Cub come spring. it's on here to make sure it works. When I take it off, I plan to put a Chevy power steering pump in it's place. With it, I can install a valve and a filter.

• ducky and 29 Chev have said thanks

#39 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,506 Thanks
  • 2,469 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 03:20 PM

Are you planning on using an older Chev power steering pump with the reservoir as part of the pump or the newer style that uses a remote reservoir?

• KennyP said thank you

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 03:28 PM

Are you planning on using an older Chev power steering pump with the reservoir as part of the pump or the newer style that uses a remote reservoir?

Older.

#41 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,506 Thanks
  • 2,469 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 03:34 PM

If you get a newer on off of a Chevy Van or S truck you could use a separate reservoir (which could contain more oil for larger cylinders) and the pump will have an in and out port - just a suggestion.  Other wise as you probably know you will have to weld or solder in a return port into the pump housing.  Depending on whether you already have the pump and what auto wreckers charge for a used one will be a deciding factor as well.

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 04:08 PM

I already have the pump. It's off a 4.3 marine engine. If I had a small tank, I could put it in the return line and get a bit more fluid to work with. But, alas, nothing here as yet.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#43 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 10:40 PM

For setting up a test unit for things that you can not determine the cleanliness or contamination a large tank with a baffle  system to encourage the settling of contaminants would make a lot of sense.Don     

• KennyP said thank you

#44 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 04:56 AM

For setting up a test unit for things that you can not determine the cleanliness or contamination a large tank with a baffle  system to encourage the settling of contaminants would make a lot of sense.Don     

That would be an issue with this pump, but might be easy to do with the next one. It could have a filter too.

#45 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Kenny

I was digging and cleaning in my shop the other day and I have a lot of take off pumps and valves.  If you would like one I could send it your way.  Best of all FREE.

Like me know what kind horsepower you will use so I do not send something to large.

• KennyP said thank you