3 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 10:14 AM

My ex-BIL has a zero turn mower with a Kohler Carnage (Courage) engine that is in the running shape of most Kohler Courage engines.  I am looking for a replacement engine.  This mower uses an electric PTO clutch, so I need an engine that can charge sufficiently.  My questions is...do all Kohler Command engines charge at a high enough amperage to charge a battery running an electric PTO?  I think I've read somewhere that you need a minimum charge rate of 7.5A to run a PTO clutch and keep the battery charged.  I've been looking at single cylinder engines 12HP-15HP.  Thanks.

Billy

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,442 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 12:50 PM

most engine that are on the mowers that have a manual blade engage do not have a charging system with enough amp capacity for the electric pto. So if you have a used engine for replacement check the amp charging capacity.

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 10:02 AM

I did some research and found the answer.  I asked the original question because I was finding some engines that had unknown original installations.

Kohler used a 3A or 15A charging system on the Command engines.  The 3A system has a couple inline diodes to convert AC to DC (unregulated charging).  The 15A system has the mounted 3-wire rectifier (regulated charging).

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,442 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 01:31 PM

That is good information now if you can find you a good command engine you will be in business,