Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 05:24 AM

nra1ifer , you mentioned collard greens and I thought to myself that I did plant some, well kind of . I found 3 half dead ones in a 4 cell pac in the mini greenhouse . I stuck them in the garden yesterday and tonight I'll see if I have any seeds left to sow . I'll let you know how I make out , Al

#17 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 07:15 AM

nra1ifer , you mentioned collard greens and I thought to myself that I did plant some, well kind of . I found 3 half dead ones in a 4 cell pac in the mini greenhouse . I stuck them in the garden yesterday and tonight I'll see if I have any seeds left to sow . I'll let you know how I make out , Al

Here is a picture of the row I planted from seed. The first time I picked through the row, I got enough to can 10 qts. That's a lot of greens cooked down!
DSCF2923.jpg

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Those look great !!! Do you cut down the whole plant or cut off leaves and have the plant keep growing ? Al

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 09:47 AM

The garden looks great! Inspite of the water runoff problems you had.
If the slope often presents a problem(Not much normal about this year) you might consider strip cropping, leaving grass buffer strips between the rows to slow down the runoff. I think it would be nice to have grassy walkways between the rows. I have some hilly ground not yet in production where I intend to do just that. And I don't think it would present a big problem with mechanical tillage.

My first introduction to a serious gardener as a small boy, was "Doc Black" a veterinarian on my block growing up. His Garden was on a steep slope and the entire back yard was a Terraced Garden with grass buffer strips to hold the runoff. Must have been some kind of osmosis thing, but that old guy has had an impact on my gardening style.
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#20 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 10:16 AM

The garden looks great! Inspite of the water runoff problems you had.
If the slope often presents a problem(Not much normal about this year) you might consider strip cropping, leaving grass buffer strips between the rows to slow down the runoff. I think it would be nice to have grassy walkways between the rows. I have some hilly ground not yet in production where I intend to do just that. And I don't think it would present a big problem with mechanical tillage.

My first introduction to a serious gardener as a small boy, was "Doc Black" a veterinarian on my block growing up. His Garden was on a steep slope and the entire back yard was a Terraced Garden with grass buffer strips to hold the runoff. Must have been some kind of osmosis thing, but that old guy has had an impact on my gardening style.

That's a very good idea. I'll have to consider that.

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 12:08 PM

I had another thought, you could plant something like Duch White clover in the buffer strips since it never gets over 5 inches high and need little mowing and fixes nitrogen in the soil. Then in a few years you could till that under and plant in that and plant the rows you had in production to clover and build them up.
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#22 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 06, 2011 - 04:40 PM

I had another thought, you could plant something like Duch White clover in the buffer strips since it never gets over 5 inches high and need little mowing and fixes nitrogen in the soil. Then in a few years you could till that under and plant in that and plant the rows you had in production to clover and build them up.

Another good one. Thanks a bunch!

#23 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 01:21 PM

Those look great !!! Do you cut down the whole plant or cut off leaves and have the plant keep growing ? Al

Sorry I missed this.....

I pick individual leaves, then come back in a week or two for more.
  • Alc said thank you

#24 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Canned 14 qts of cabbage today!

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Canned 14 qts of cabbage today!

That's a lot of cabbage!

#26 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 03:52 PM

That was from 7 or 8 good heads of cabbage. Still have 4 or 5 that are too small to pick. I was also wandering around the far end of the garden: Sweet potato vines are growing well, and the cantaloupe is doing quite well. Might have a couple dozen melons! Last year, I had some really good ones..... very sweet and juicy. They were volunteer vines that came up from the previous year's crop... actually better than the ones I planted!

#27 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Got our first cantaloupe yesterday. It wasn't the best I've ever grown, but it wasn't the worst, either. Very edible, none the less. I hope the others that follow will be at least as good.

Tomatoes are finally coming along. We might have some good ones within the next week or so.

All of the pepper varieties are producing very well. I hope to have enough hot and sweet banana peppers soon to make a batch of relish.

It's been very hot and dry lately, like much of the rest of the country. We got a decent shower about this time last week, enough to fill the rain barrels again and then some, but none since and not much in the forecast. I still need to get a couple of those 275-gallon totes to use as rain barrels. That would help a lot!

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:10 AM

I haven't even got a green tomato yet. They aren't putting out too many blooms. Got a few bell peppers growing, cukes are blooming all over the place and growing like weeds.

#29 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Dug up my sweet taters today. Had lots of them, and some MONSTERS!!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3150.jpg
  • DSCF3151.jpg

#30 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Nice messs of sweet potatoes!