#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 11:05 PM

I'll get pictures to add tomorrow, but it's been a tough year in my garden. 40' x 150' garden spot, on a downward slope towards the back of the house. I always set up my rows across the slope (across the 40' width) and the rows are hilled to help prevent runoff. However, this spring we had a tremendous amount of rain here in NW Arkansas, which occurred right after I planted everything, of course! Two rows of red-skin potatoes that were planted with leftovers from last year's crop (they were growing nicely in the paper bag!) rotted in the ground. Not one made it above ground after it was planted. Also had a hail storm roll through the same night that monster tornado hit Joplin, MO. I could see the results mostly on the spinach, some on the lettuce. Otherwise, the tomato plants just about drowned, but they are now starting to wake up because it has turned dry, hot, and humid. All of the different varieties of peppers are now showing daily progress. Less than 50% of the cucumber seed came up, and I have already replanted about 50% of the green beans. As of last Sunday, things are starting to look pretty good: I picked/canned 10 quarts of collard greens, picked several gallon bags stuffed full of spinach, and filled a 5-gallon bucket with some very nice black-seeded Simpson lettuce this morning. So things ARE looking up!

Tomorrow morning, I plan on getting the Horse and the GT6000/cultivator out to till, re-hill, and repair the run-off damage that is still there. Hopefully by noon tomorrow, it'll all be back in shape!

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 11:24 PM

nra, y'all have had it rough up there. I hope the garden continues to improve....

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 01:37 AM

Glad to hear you are getting the garden straightened up. Sorry to hear about your 'taters. My onions aren't doing anything.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Sorry to hear all that extra work your having to do . I think this years weather has really hurt farmers, gardeners ect. Some of my crops like yours are a bust , beans , beets ,chard all had to be replanted Lost a lot of cantaloupes too . Heck ,last year at this time I had so much chard we were give it away to everybody we could . Hope things start to improve for you , Al

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes.

Noon was a bit optimistic, not only because I had a LOT of tilling to do, but this morning my best half said, "Let's go for a walk." That usually means about 3 miles! So, off we went. Got home at about 10:30 and started on the garden. Finished at about 3:30 this afternoon (took a couple of breaks, but worked most of that time). Very pleased with the results, and as usual I'm VERY glad to have an old Troy-Bilt Horse tiller to use while my IH Cub #1 tiller is in pieces! I replanted some okra, cucumbers, and radishes. I took several pictures.... will post later tonight. Still need to wash the better half's car.

Alc, for the last several years I planted a BUNCH of chard. It has always done well and it withstands the hot weather we get here in the summer, as long as it gets some water once in awhile. But I have found that I REALLY like the taste of the collard greens best, and I process them the same. I don't let the leaves get real big. I like them smaller, when the stems can still be eaten easily. But, they are easier to clean, cook up just like chard, and have just about the same consistency. I don't know if you have bugs (some kind of caterpillar) there that like to eat your chard, but I've had real good luck with the collard greens. Nothing seems to want to eat it besides me and my best half! The greens grow like mad, and the leaves are not quite as delicate as chard. Just thought I'd make a suggestion, if you haven't tried them before. Last year was my first year to grow them. I'm hooked! Good luck in your garden!

#6 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2935.jpg
  • DSCF2938.jpg
  • DSCF2918.jpg
  • DSCF2937.jpg
  • DSCF2924.jpg
  • DSCF2928.jpg

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Very nice garden NRA! I envy you guys that have time to keep them so neat & clean. Mine is decent at the moment, but weeds get a leg up on me before it's over.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 04, 2011 - 10:26 PM

NRA, that garden looks great despite what you have said. I will have to go out and take a picture of our garden and then you will appreciate how nice your garden really is LOL.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:14 AM

My luck with the garden is about like yours was. My upper garden looked real nice with ground prepped. Then between the rain, mud and something else always popping up I just could nt get it planted. I got home from work one evening and threw the hillers on the tractor and pulled a few rows. Lesson learned, dont be in a hurry. My hills run at an angle and i have about 8 feet between rows. It looks terrible but we did get some stuff planted. Then a few days later I worked on the lower garden, My lower garden is nothing but clay so I plowed and disced it but it was still ful of lumps. I put lime on it and the rains came, it turned into soup. Once it dried I used the L8 and rotary plow. It looked nice, almost like it was tilled, except one area where I had misjudged and basically had several passes going in opiste direction which created a ditch. Before I could fix the area, more rain came and truned the dicth into a pond about 18 inches deep the entire lenght of the garden. It would not dry out so i had to cut some drains into it. It still would not dry out completely after 2 weeks so I just went and put some seed in the ground. I couldnt get any tractor in there to make rows because they sank. Anyway I wont be taking pics of the garden this year and i probably wont let anybody look at either. The plants seem to be embarassed too, they sure dont want to grow much this year.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:42 AM

Planted the peas and beans early, lost one row of beans. The potatoes aren't doing squat and should probably start over, but I think they drowned in that last 7 day rainy stretch, it was right after I got them in.

You garden looks so very nice & well kept. I'm jealous.
I have a free, dirty carb, Mantis on it's way... Hopefully I beat the weeds this year.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Very nice garden NRA! I envy you guys that have time to keep them so neat & clean. Mine is decent at the moment, but weeds get a leg up on me before it's over.

Thanks, Dan. My wife and I like the goodies we get from the garden, and we share a lot of it, too. Outside of my job, I don't have much that takes me away from home. I like being outside, and the garden just plays into that.

I envy you guys that have "real" milk just outside your back door! Since I've spent some time in your world, Dan, I think a few weeds can be overlooked!

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:12 AM

My luck with the garden is about like yours was. My upper garden looked real nice with ground prepped. Then between the rain, mud and something else always popping up I just could nt get it planted. I got home from work one evening and threw the hillers on the tractor and pulled a few rows. Lesson learned, dont be in a hurry. My hills run at an angle and i have about 8 feet between rows. It looks terrible but we did get some stuff planted. Then a few days later I worked on the lower garden, My lower garden is nothing but clay so I plowed and disced it but it was still ful of lumps. I put lime on it and the rains came, it turned into soup. Once it dried I used the L8 and rotary plow. It looked nice, almost like it was tilled, except one area where I had misjudged and basically had several passes going in opiste direction which created a ditch. Before I could fix the area, more rain came and truned the dicth into a pond about 18 inches deep the entire lenght of the garden. It would not dry out so i had to cut some drains into it. It still would not dry out completely after 2 weeks so I just went and put some seed in the ground. I couldnt get any tractor in there to make rows because they sank. Anyway I wont be taking pics of the garden this year and i probably wont let anybody look at either. The plants seem to be embarassed too, they sure dont want to grow much this year.

Wow!!! The ruts, runoff, and drowned plants I had pale in comparison! I hope you have time for your garden to recover and produce lots of what you've planted. When we were getting all that rain, I commented to my wife, "When it stops raining, I bet it REALLY stops raining." No rain in the forecast here for 8-10 days and mid-90's!

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Planted the peas and beans early, lost one row of beans. The potatoes aren't doing squat and should probably start over, but I think they drowned in that last 7 day rainy stretch, it was right after I got them in.

You garden looks so very nice & well kept. I'm jealous.
I have a free, dirty carb, Mantis on it's way... Hopefully I beat the weeds this year.

Good luck on your garden. I have a Mantis...... I really like it!

#14 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Sorry about all of you guys with the bad weather . All the severe weather has been running south and runningto the east of the us. We had bad rain for the last few yrs. also. When the flats here get too much rain the ground just swells full , no where to go till the rivers take it away. It's always sad when the fruit we put into the ground goes bad. Hope everything comes out well in the end for ya!!

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted June 05, 2011 - 06:20 PM

NRA, somebody left the oven on. LOL Toasty over here in T-Town, too.