#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,801 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 11:19 AM

Am I the only one who would question trying to clear a whole parking lot with a tractor mounted blower?
  • shorty and BigDukeSix have said thanks

#17 BigDukeSix OFFLINE  

BigDukeSix
  • Member No: 85559
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 05, 2017 - 09:34 PM

Am I the only one who would question trying to clear a whole parking lot with a tractor mounted blower?

And see this is what brought me here. 

The John Deere and Cub Cadet dealers both said that the tractors couldn't handle plowing anything but a very light snow and that I needed the snow blower attachment, while the Husqvarna dealer said the opposite - I should get the plow because the snow blower would just take too long...   :wallbanging:

Edited by BigDukeSix, January 05, 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#18 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,835 Thanks
  • 992 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 07:41 AM

I think they all told you the truth.  These small tractors aren't going to push a lot of snow and a blower will take longer than a plow.

Seems like the real issue here is you're looking at tractors that are too small.  You've got 2 acres to mow and a parking lot to plow and you're considering homeowner model tractors.  You should expect either to have a short life.

You probably should be looking at subcompact utility tractors, but I don't think your budget goes there, at least not new.  Is used an option?

I'm thinking a Cub Low-Boy with a 60" mower, plow and chains would be just about perfect for you.

*** EDIT ***

Something like this is what I have in mind: https://newyork.crai...5942947701.html

Edited by MiCarl, January 06, 2017 - 11:21 AM.

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,541 Thanks
  • 9,828 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 10:42 AM

What is the cost comparison of either unit vs hiring both the lawn and plowing out to a contractor?

You have a purchase that is expensive, someone is needed to volunteer to do the work. Maintenance will need to be performed at a location with no tools. You could have the dealer pick it up for yearly service, I'm sure that's cheap.

Storage? Do you have an existing building?

Inadequate machine for snow removal for a parking lot, period.

If a lawn service can get somewhere close $ wise to the CC price over three years, you might consider it. Life expectancy for either machine doing 2 acres won't be much more than that.

I have a neighbor that bought my JD 212 when he moved in, replaced it with a Cub XT2 last spring. Mows great. Bought the 46" plow for it. Bent it the first storm taking the ice dam left by the plow.

But it does have a cupholder and a power port.

Edited by Cat385B, January 06, 2017 - 10:52 AM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#20 BigDukeSix OFFLINE  

BigDukeSix
  • Member No: 85559
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 06, 2017 - 05:15 PM

What is the cost comparison of either unit vs hiring both the lawn and plowing out to a contractor?

You have a purchase that is expensive, someone is needed to volunteer to do the work. Maintenance will need to be performed at a location with no tools. You could have the dealer pick it up for yearly service, I'm sure that's cheap.

Storage? Do you have an existing building?

Inadequate machine for snow removal for a parking lot, period.

If a lawn service can get somewhere close $ wise to the CC price over three years, you might consider it. Life expectancy for either machine doing 2 acres won't be much more than that.

I have a neighbor that bought my JD 212 when he moved in, replaced it with a Cub XT2 last spring. Mows great. Bought the 46" plow for it. Bent it the first storm taking the ice dam left by the plow.

But it does have a cupholder and a power port.

The volunteer to do the work will be me.  We do have ample shed storage space on-site.

I hear you on the cost comparison - however, the situation isn't that simple.  Someone died and left us money to make this purchase.  I am doing my best to honor his wishes, but honestly, I think you are right that, while the gift amount was generous - it just isn't enough to buy something that will take care of both the lawn and the parking lot.  It sounds like we just need to buy a nice mower and keep the plow service...

I think they all told you the truth.  These small tractors aren't going to push a lot of snow and a blower will take longer than a plow.

Seems like the real issue here is you're looking at tractors that are too small.  You've got 2 acres to mow and a parking lot to plow and you're considering homeowner model tractors.  You should expect either to have a short life.

You probably should be looking at subcompact utility tractors, but I don't think your budget goes there, at least not new.  Is used an option?

I'm thinking a Cub Low-Boy with a 60" mower, plow and chains would be just about perfect for you.

*** EDIT ***

Something like this is what I have in mind: https://newyork.crai...5942947701.html

I think you are on target with your comments- thanks for the link.

Edited by BigDukeSix, January 06, 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,801 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:11 PM

It sounds like we just need to buy a nice mower and keep the plow service...

See, you already knew the correct answer. ;-)