• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,762 Thanks
  • 4,906 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 01:40 PM

I think I would worry more about heat taking the springiness out of the steel. Anytime I've ever had a spring in the way of something I had to heat to get apart, it's usually junk when it comes apart.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 01:49 PM

I think I would worry more about heat taking the springiness out of the steel. Anytime I've ever had a spring in the way of something I had to heat to get apart, it's usually junk when it comes apart.

That's why I am asking questions, Doug.

First order of business is to get the pump out of the mount I made for it. Then a bath in Purple Power to degrease the outside.

DSCN2483.JPG

All cleaned up and ready to come apart. I took the nut off the back end, but the casing is not letting go. Anything special to get the cover off?

DSCN2484.JPG    DSCN2485.JPG

Also, that allenhead screw in the top between the hose fittings is stripped.

• olcowhand, DougT and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,182 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:14 PM

Just get a new spring. I learned along time ago that trying to weld a spring is just a waste of time. A welded spring is less than an even chance of success and is usually more brittle and can break into a bunch of pieces. One of those pieces can ruin the pump. Good Luck, Rick
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#19 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:20 PM

I don't think that welding the spring will work; but I really don't know for sure. Nothing to lose; doesn't work, spend $23. As for the allen screw, maybe take a grade 8 bolt and grind the six sided profile on the end on a taper or angle. Tap the bolt into the screw. The farther in the screw, the more it would bite. I hope it works, set screws are a bear to drill.

Edited by Bmerf, January 01, 2017 - 02:22 PM.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:21 PM

Well I got it apart. And a new spring is needed as the piece that broke off is MIA.

DSCN2486.JPG    DSCN2487.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#21 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:48 PM

Kenny, I've made quite a few springs at work. You can take the old one to a music store, they might have some old guitar strings they'll give you, and new ones aren't very expensive. They come in a bunch of sizes, for the different notes. You can wrap the wire around a bolt or piece of rod stock clamped in a vise to make the coils. Of course, an expertly-made spring is quite a bit easier!

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 03:50 PM

Kenny, I've made quite a few springs at work. You can take the old one to a music store, they might have some old guitar strings they'll give you, and new ones aren't very expensive. They come in a bunch of sizes, for the different notes. You can wrap the wire around a bolt or piece of rod stock clamped in a vise to make the coils. Of course, an expertly-made spring is quite a bit easier!

This is over .100" dia, so I don't think that will work.  I'll order one here soon.

• boyscout862 and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#23 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 03:51 PM

Don't bother welding that spring, spring steel is made as a unit and when it breaks you can never really get it back to the same properties.  when you weld on the spring the material you are adding back in will not have the same properties and it will cause that spot to be softer plus the weld effected zone (either edge of the weld where the heat and metal transfer occurs )  will become hard and brittle and break when put back into service.  even with the heat treating process you have planned (good idea by the way) it will never be the same and most likely fail soon.

Save yourself the headache and buy  or make a brand new one.

Pete

#24 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 03:54 PM

This is over .100" dia, so I don't think that will work.  I'll order one here soon.

That would be pretty hard to bend by hand! I have made them that thick, but I used my lathe to turn the mandrel.

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Don't bother welding that spring, spring steel is made as a unit and when it breaks you can never really get it back to the same properties.  when you weld on the spring the material you are adding back in will not have the same properties and it will cause that spot to be softer plus the weld effected zone (either edge of the weld where the heat and metal transfer occurs )  will become hard and brittle and break when put back into service.  even with the heat treating process you have planned (good idea by the way) it will never be the same and most likely fail soon.

Save yourself the headache and buy  or make a brand new one.

Pete

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a new one. But, we at least have some info in this thread for future use! I was leery of welding it to start with, that's why I asked the question.

• DougT, boyscout862, SupplySergeant and 2 others have said thanks

#26 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,478 Thanks
  • 2,458 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 06:38 PM

Getting a new spring is probably the best way to go since they are still available.  If it was NLA and given where it is broken you could make a sleeve out of a short piece of 3/16" brake line or copper tubing and solder a piece of wire (heavy duty throttle cable core or 1/8" welding rod with flux removed) bent in the same shape as the other end to replace the part that is missing.  Was the spring broken when you got the pump - wonder where the part that is broken went?

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 06:44 PM

Getting a new spring is probably the best way to go since they are still available.  If it was NLA and given where it is broken you could make a sleeve out of a short piece of 3/16" brake line or copper tubing and solder a piece of wire (heavy duty throttle cable core or 1/8" welding rod with flux removed) bent in the same shape as the other end to replace the part that is missing.  Was the spring broken when you got the pump - wonder where the part that is broken went?

I think someone has been in here before. In post #20, first pic, look at the screws for the pump gears. Several are partly deformed.

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#28 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,906 Thanks
  • 2,448 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:17 PM

....... the piece that broke off is MIA.

attachicon.gifDSCN2486.JPG    

Isn't that the broken piece (still in place) in your picture ??

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,498 Thanks
  • 44,954 posts

Posted January 02, 2017 - 05:44 AM

Isn't that the broken piece (still in place) in your picture ??

I think you are seeing the roll pins. It was not in there nor the oil pan under it when it came apart.

#30 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,862 Thanks
  • 3,399 posts

Posted January 02, 2017 - 06:45 AM

I broke off, jammed the pump,they dis assembled it and thru it away. Reassembled the pump and carried on. Probably centering the valve with external spings?
  • KennyP said thank you