• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:14 AM

Anyone ever welded a spring back together? I have a hydraulic pump from a Gilson/MW that the neutral return spring is broken. I haven't taken it apart as yet but here is a parts page for it.

ScreenShot088.jpg

My plan is to weld it back together and smooth the weld some. Then stick it in the coals in the wood burner till it's red hot or more. Drop it into some used motor oil to cool. Then stick it back in and heat not as hot and let it cool on it's own. Hopefully this will temper it so it won't break again. 

Does this sound like a good plan?

• hamman said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:34 AM

They are still available new,  I have most of the other seals and o-rings but cant compete with the price of the reproduction springs this guy makes

http://www.ebay.com/...3AAAOSwRgJXiR1g

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#3 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,951 Thanks
  • 2,235 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Were you going to bronze it or steel weld it with a mig or ?.  Depending on where it is broke you may have some success - if it is broken on the coils it will probably break again but if it is broken on one of the end fingers it may last - you could sleeve it with a piece of steel or copper tubing if it broken near the end.  Another option might be to take a new compression spring that is about the right diameter and heat up the ends and straighten them out to the correct shape and let it air cool.  Some starters use a similar style for the brushes and I have seen similar style springs on hinged appliances but they would probably have to be modified. 

That pump looks similar to what the one Bolens used on the tubeframe hydraulic lifts - attached is a picture of how someone modified one using two compression springs - might be another option.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Hydraulic Lift Spring Repair.jpg

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,751 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:53 AM

Sounds good ,but I don't enough about hardening or tempering to make a comment, but I was wondering how and what your going to use to weld it. Just curious. I would use a gas torch and steel rod to do it, and I'm not saying that's what you should do, it just a comment as to what I would do.
And Your heating and cooling method is to reharden the spring ??

Noel

Edited by propane1, January 01, 2017 - 11:54 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:57 AM

These hydraulic units were made by two companies for most GT's , excluding some special made parts here and there for the most part they are all the same.

Hein Werner and Century Fox are the ones you see most often there may be one other I am missing.

• KennyP, stiemmy and 29 Chev have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 11:59 AM

They are still available new,  I have most of the other seals and o-rings but cant compete with the price of the reproduction springs this guy makes

http://www.ebay.com/...3AAAOSwRgJXiR1g

I'll have to get apart to see for sure what shape the spring is supposed to be. I'll let you know. It's not leaking anywhere, just one side of the spring is broken. I am not sure what gasket/o-ring may be on the cover to body.

Were you going to bronze it or steel weld it with a mig or ?.  Depending on where it is broke you may have some success - if it is broken on the coils it will probably break again but if it is broken on one of the end fingers it may last - you could sleeve it with a piece of steel or copper tubing if it broken near the end.  Another option might be to take a new compression spring that is about the right diameter and heat up the ends and straighten them out to the correct shape and let it air cool.  Some starters use a similar style for the brushes and I have seen similar style springs on hinged appliances but they would probably have to be modified. 

That pump looks similar to what the one Bolens used on the tubeframe hydraulic lifts - attached is a picture of how someone modified one using two compression springs - might be another option.

I planned to use the mig. No torch to braze it. It may be the same pump.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Sounds good ,but I don't enough about hardening or tempering to make a comment, but I was wondering how and what your going to use to weld it. Just curious. I would use a gas torch and steel rod to do it, and I'm not saying that's what you should do, it just a comment as to what I would do.
And Your heating and cooling method is to reharden the spring ??

Noel

The heating/cooling method is to make the weld and spring have nearly the same properties so it (hopefully) won't break next to the weld. I will use the mig.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:03 PM

What about silver solder? I have a Mapp gas torch and some silver solder sticks. Guess I need to get the pump apart to see what the spring looks like.

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,951 Thanks
  • 2,235 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:10 PM

I'll have to get apart to see for sure what shape the spring is supposed to be. I'll let you know. It's not leaking anywhere, just one side of the spring is broken. I am not sure what gasket/o-ring may be on the cover to body.

I planned to use the mig. No torch to braze it. It may be the same pump.

The mig may work on a lower heat setting - you may find the spring melts before it joins to the mig weld - all you can do is try it and see.

If you have a MAP gas torch you should be able to get it hot enough to reshape another one - I reshaped a used compression spring to fix my PTO spring on my Bolens 1050 - it lasted about a year but it would have had a lot more stress on it than the one in your pump probably has - http://gardentractor...-spring-repair/

• KennyP and stiemmy have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:13 PM

The mig may work on a lower heat setting - you may find the spring melts before it joins to the mig weld - all you can do is try it and see.

If you have a MAP gas torch you should be able to get it hot enough to reshape another one - I reshaped a used compression spring to fix my PTO spring on my Bolens 1050 - it lasted about a year but it would have had a lot more stress on it than the one in your pump probably has - http://gardentractor...-spring-repair/

I think I will take it apart today and see what I find.

#11 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,951 Thanks
  • 2,235 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hopefully it is not full of cold white snow as I know how much you love it.  I only had to blow snow for two hours this morning - thankfully it got colder overnight so it blew better than yesterday but was full of ice crystals - sounded like little pebbles going through the blower at times.  Hope the spring is an easy fix for you. 

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:31 PM

No snow here as yet!  :dancingbanana:  Almost 50° right now.

#13 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,796 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:43 PM

I think you remember this tractor Kenny? Anyway, long story short, I welded the starter drive spring back together on this rig. It was only supposed to be temporary, but it still works. No tempering, or anything. Post #35

I'd say try repairing it 1st, you may get lucky? :)

http://gardentractor...-me-home/page-3
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,213 Thanks
  • 43,332 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:46 PM

I think you remember this tractor Kenny? Anyway, long story short, I welded the starter drive spring back together on this rig. It was only supposed to be temporary, but it still works. No tempering, or anything. Post #35

I'd say try repairing it 1st, you may get lucky? :)

http://gardentractor...-me-home/page-3

Glad it's still working!

• stiemmy said thank you

#15 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,796 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:54 PM

Glad it's still working!

Me too, thanks!

Then again, if that pump is a bear to pull apart, maybe the 23 bux for a new one would be the way to go?

Thank you Bolens1000 for the link above.
  • KennyP said thank you