#46 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,673 Thanks
  • 769 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:48 AM

Ah, um, er, a ... well an astute admirer of old Sargent York ,( my '86's call name :) asked a question concerning the area of the tractors frame rails on both sides up front ,simple observation , "looks touched up to me " I concur and upon further review will pen my desire to acquiesce with the rules and have asked Doug T to gently let the old boy fade off the page with whatever dignity Sarge can muster after I have unfairly put him in this embarrassing situation !
I stand on the grounds that he was an unwilling (but I believe grateful) recipient of the touch up in the accused areas, the battery acid had scared his otherwise acceptable appearance (not sure why the other side was hit) and the original owner in a fatherly fashion had applied the cosmetic facade to alleviate any possibility of low self-esteem entering into Sarge's psyche....

Yup , touched up, below is a pic of one of the accomplices (other is resting in peace) and yes I initially knew it and honestly forgot. I'm now burdened with the task of either tearing a wall out or removing the front door, cause now he won't forgive me unless he gets to live in the house... let's see... wife works today, Carter Lumber close by... outside temperature will be working against me , but I might pull it of before she gets home, course the Christmas tree is still up, Sarge want the view from the front Windows... damn tree...

OKAY enough I hear all the WTF's... so I've disqualified myself and Sarge has to walk the walk of shame with me for the infraction.... hey I got this sweet all original 1054 , yup even down to the seat... ya your right I look desperate...

So far some SUPERB ENTRIES ! Keep 'em coming !!
all right the Makers Mark is gone and so am I

PS thanks for the thank you's it means a lot... of course Sarge can't read... I can but seeing these little letters is getting more difficult... wait ... what did I write?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170106_2149000_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20151025_144151_hdr_kindlephoto-509685.jpg

• olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 12 others have said thanks

#47 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,003 Thanks
  • 28,949 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 08:10 AM

Ah, um, er, a ... well an astute admirer of old Sargent York ,( my '86's call name :) asked a question concerning the area of the tractors frame rails on both sides up front ,simple observation , "looks touched up to me " I concur and upon further review will pen my desire to acquiesce with the rules and have asked Doug T to gently let the old boy fade off the page with whatever dignity Sarge can muster after I have unfairly put him in this embarrassing situation !
I stand on the grounds that he was an unwilling (but I believe grateful) recipient of the touch up in the accused areas, the battery acid had scared his otherwise acceptable appearance (not sure why the other side was hit) and the original owner in a fatherly fashion had applied the cosmetic facade to alleviate any possibility of low self-esteem entering into Sarge's psyche....
Yup , touched up, below is a pic of one of the accomplices (other is resting in peace) and yes I initially knew it and honestly forgot. I'm now burdened with the task of either tearing a wall out or removing the front door, cause now he won't forgive me unless he gets to live in the house... let's see... wife works today, Carter Lumber close by... outside temperature will be working against me , but I might pull it of before she gets home, course the Christmas tree is still up, Sarge want the view from the front Windows... damn tree...
OKAY enough I hear all the WTF's... so I've disqualified myself and Sarge has to walk the walk of shame with me for the infraction.... hey I got this sweet all original 1054 , yup even down to the seat... ya your right I look desperate...
So far some SUPERB ENTRIES ! Keep 'em coming !!
all right the Makers Mark is gone and so am I
PS thanks for the thank you's it means a lot... of course Sarge can't read... I can but seeing these little letters is getting more difficult... wait ... what did I write?

That's not touch up, that's rust preventative...
I wouldn't say a tractor isn't original because it has different oil than it shipped with.
  • Delmar, tiretrx, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#48 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,051 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 10:15 AM

That's not touch up, that's rust preventative...
I wouldn't say a tractor isn't original because it has different oil than it shipped with.

Totally agree. Just part of growing older. Change a headlight, a tire, spot prime a rust spot, knock out a dent.........still a working original, imo. 

That's a fine looking 1054, Wrenchin'. Looks like it earns it's keep  :thumbs:

• MH81, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#49 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 225 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ok I will attempt to make a entry for Feb.

The late 40's David Bradley walk behind had been stored with a roof over a portion of it but near a open west wall in a old shed. This tractor came from my wife's home and the tractor was her Great Grandfathers. He had big gardens and tilled them with this machine. It had the cultivator attached. When we found it the hood was closed and the engine was free. So I though it might run someday. The wife wanted me to bring it home! It took me several months to decide we needed another project. It took several days to get the carb rebuilt and make sure it had spark. A new plug and wire along with cleaning the points, fresh gas and it fired up with one pull. Thanks to the folks on here I was able to get replacement wheels for the cultivator and a new good hood support. It has been to several shows and always is a favorite when the Briggs N type engine is setting there putting along at idle.

DSC04703.jpg

Hood off for ease of working on the gas system.

DSC04702.jpg

Yes the David Bradley look, who can forget that!

DSC04704.jpg

The new old guide wheels! Those tires do not have any checks in them! They were made with good rubber back then!

DSC04733.jpg

DSC04734.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

It did need a new gas line and new throttle cable. Just couldn't save the originals. A friend provided a new clicker hub for the right side which was not working properly. Other that that its just as it rolled out of the Sears store! Which now that I think of it, it has outlasted some of the Sears stores!

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, January 07, 2017 - 12:49 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#50 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,386 Thanks
  • 2,454 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 02:50 PM

Nice tractor you have there, Sugarmaker.  I always did like the old DB's.....'outlasted some of the Sears stores'....lol!!

We are blessed to have a bunch of great old original tractors in line for recognition this month.....awesome!

• MH81, tiretrx, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#51 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,459 Thanks
  • 3,349 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 03:52 PM

Nice two wheel tractor. They use to use them in a nursery near me years ago.

Noel

#52 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,459 Thanks
  • 3,349 posts

Posted January 07, 2017 - 03:59 PM

Gunna be a great month for tractor entries, cant decide all ready which one to vote for.

Noel
  • MH81 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#53 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,040 Thanks
  • 7,670 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 03:29 PM

I would like to nominate my 1969 MTD 860 which is labeled a '12 Hundred". I posted it on here when I saw it on CL(http://gardentractor...an>#entry572468). A couple of hours later I decided to try for it myself. It included a 42 inch mower & 36 inch snow blower with wheel weighs and tire chains. The PTO needed to be replaced. Ran well. I sent a message and the owner called me a couple of hours later. Collecting is definitely an addiction.

I went to look at it. His father bought it new in 1969(the year I made Eagle and graduated HS). It ran and was in very good condition except the seat and the PTO. He drove it onto my trailer for me. He was a very nice gent and knew it was worth more as parts but wanted it to go to a good home. I updated the thread and got some good advise from EricFromPa. He pointed out that the PTO and belt guard the tractor needed were for sale at Joe's Outdoor Power. I ordered the parts and fixed the tractor and did all the maintenance. I mowed the yard with it and it worked fine. I definitely need to get a new seat cushion for it. This winter and last, it is the backup snowblower.

post-8923-0-24007700-1452053778_thumb.jppost-8923-0-59065600-1452053777_thumb.jppost-8923-0-92957800-1452053776_thumb.jppost-8923-0-87001700-1452053778_thumb.jppost-8923-0-16496500-1452053779_thumb.jp

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DougT and 16 others have said thanks

#54 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,051 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted January 09, 2017 - 03:49 PM

Wow, that's a looker. Love that shade of green. Nice that it went to a good home, where it's fully appreciated :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#55 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 849 Thanks
  • 606 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 06:31 AM

Some great entries this month and a lot of them, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd like to enter My Bolens 600. It is all original, no paint has been touched up or changed. It was "highly" optioned with electric start, seat cushion and back rest. :rolling: It also came with a front mount reel mower which works great. The 600 and I had a rough start when I purchased it, It ran ok at the owners house and I was able to test the trans and the reel mower. I was super excited about my purchase and couldn't wait to get home and use it with my 1yr old son riding along. I pulled off the thruway to fill the tractor with fresh 91 octane ethanol free fuel and a splash of Marvel mystery oil. I got home and had lunch and then went out to unload the 600 to mow the grass. Well it decided it no longer wanted to run. :wallbanging:  I tinkered with it and finally got it fired. I pulled it off the trailer and drove into the grass to mow. I set the throttle at 3/4's and engaged the pto to spin the reel mower. I placed it in 1st gear, drove about 5-10ft and that is all she wrote, it stalled and wouldn't restart. So I sadly did the push of shame into my garage and decided I better really give the machine a full check over and tune up.

With help from a great local parts supplier and the members here on the forum I was able to fumble through all the repairs.  I finally got it running good and I mowed with it several times last spring. Man is the reel mower a lot of fun to use and it is a super neat attachment in my opinion. The little 600 will chop through tall grass with no sweat. Here are pictures of when I picked it up, and when I mowed the lawn. I wish it wasn't in hibernation right now because I added the missing hood ornament and gave the original paint a nice clean up and wax. Its got just the right patina and I don't think I will restore it, well maybe someday! LOL! Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 600 1.jpeg
  • bolens 600 reel.jpeg
  • bolens 600.jpg
  • bolens 600 2.jpeg
  • bolens 600 3.jpeg

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DougT and 14 others have said thanks

#56 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,928 Thanks
  • 4,386 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Less than a week to get your nominations in. Once it's locked, it's done.

• propane1 and Jonas Monnett have said thanks

#57 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 958 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 08:34 AM

A lot of strong contenders here jostling for the prize of GTOM!

I thought I would throw in my Bolens 600 which was eventually shipped from Ohio, USA to Devon UK last year. It all started when I was idly browsing through EBay USA and I spotted this gem of a find in Ohio. By chance I spotted Dave South's post aka Old Buzzard, about being willing to collect and store any GTs locally to help out fellow GTT members. Well I emailed Dave who very kindly agreed to help me out if I won the auction. Without telling me he contacted the guy who lived near to him and paid a visit and checked it out. Said it drive like a dream and the steering was spot on. Anyway I won the auction and a moment of panic set in when I realised the ramifications of my actions! Anyway Dave duly collected it on my behalf and stored it at Chez Old Buzzard's for a year until I could get around to organising it to be shipped over to the UK.

The seller works out in a scrap yard and this poor old girl was being scrapped alongside with the deck and front plough. Recognising its potential he listed it on eBay and I was the only one who bidded on it I think for $150. It's now in the UK along with its Bolens stable mates and is absolutely one of my 8 favourite Bolens! I love the patina on it and will not be restoring it at all but just to protect its body work. I have fired it up and have driven it around a friend's field for fun. My thanks to Dave for helping me securing it and storing it and to the UK Bolens Boys for their support in this venture.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0451.JPG
  • IMG_0452.JPG
  • IMG_0452.JPG
  • IMG_0454.JPG
  • IMG_0455.JPG

• olcowhand, DougT, OldBuzzard and 12 others have said thanks

#58 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,051 Thanks
  • 736 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 10:09 AM

Love your 600, great story. Can't imagine anyone wanting to scrap that little gem. Glad for the happy ending  :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#59 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,127 Thanks
  • 2,885 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 09:37 PM

Both 600s are cool, I owned one also sometime back, tough little machines. Bolens UKs looks to be a 1962
  • tiretrx, boyscout862 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#60 Rustysteele ONLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 175 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 02:44 PM

Here`s my odd-ball Standard, the early model (second generation?) mid-1920`s with the open flywheel and friction-drive cooling blower in front. It is equipped with 6 volt electric start, which I believe is adapted to it at the factory, since the battery box and other additional brackets are put together professionally with rivets, and where the starting crank holder bracket would be, is painted over with the original paint, a farmer or garage wouldn`t go through the trouble to make it look so nice. But a fussy mechanic who was also a skilled blacksmith could have done the conversion also. I think it was done in the late 1920`s or early 1930`s when farm tractors were starting to get electric starters, someone decided why not try it on a small tractor? And this beast was created.

This tractor had one major flaw, it could only be started with the electric starter, and it has battery ignition. I`ve tried using a regular Standard crank on it, without that bracket to hold the crank straight while you turn it, it just wobbles all over the place and destroys your knuckles. So if you were out in the back forty with it, stopped it for lunch or it stalls, there`s a very good chance that it won`t start, if the battery is worn down enough. then you`d have to bring out Old Dobbin to pull it back to the house to charge the battery, or carry the battery back to charge it for the afternoon. This machine still has most of the original paint, and it has super compression and runs like a top, so I doubt it saw a lot of use.

This has a novel method of starting. There is a belt that runs from the starter to the crankshaft pulley, the starter has a handle and is hinged so the belt can be tightened or loosened, with the starter button on the end of the handle. To start, you hold down the compression release on the intake valve, press the button to spin the starter, and tighten the belt to start the engine spinning. Then let go of the compression release, choke it, and it starts. Once it is running, loosen the starter belt, let go of the starter button, grab the wooden stick clamped onto the handle, and use it to pop the belt off of the engine pulley. Put the stick back on the handle, pick up the belt and put it on the handle, and away you go! Simple! I wish I could be more certain of it`s original history, it will probably never be known, but it certainly is a unique garden tractor, and possibly the first attempt to install an electric start on one!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1047.JPG
  • DSCN1049.JPG
  • DSCN1048.JPG
  • DSCN1050.JPG

Edited by Rustysteele, January 17, 2017 - 02:46 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Delmar and 7 others have said thanks