• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,908 Thanks
  • 4,379 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:23 AM

We are now taking nominations for featured tractor of the month of February 2017.

The theme for this month is BEST ORIGINAL. Basically we are looking for survivor tractors still in their original work clothes. It should basically be unmolested except for normal maintenance.  Let's get the nominations in.

I also can't emphasize enough to please provide at least 2 paragraphs for the description of you tractor. The winner is going to be featured on the GTtalk home page and all the bragging rights that come with it.

Here are the rules:

• You are not eligible to nominate your tractor if you have won within the last year.
  • You must have at least a two paragraph description to tell us about your tractor.
  • You need 2 photos attached to your post as attachments, not linked from another site, the year make and model, and a brief description of your history with the tractor and what you use it for most.
  • You must be an active member of the site. (Basically you need to have at least 10 posts before you can nominate your tractor)

We will accept up to 15 nominations, this thread will be closed after the 15th nomination or the 20th of the month, whichever comes first. Once 15 nominations are made we will start a new thread for the voting. Voting will run to the end of the current month and on the 1st of the following month the winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page and in our Featured Tractors section.

Rules subject to change to better work for everyone. Good luck!

• Gtractor, KennyP, case1man and 1 other said thanks

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 5,162 Thanks
  • 3,461 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 09:39 AM

How about "Little John" http://gardentractor...tle-john/page-1 Logan wants to enter it. It is all original, down to the dealer tag.

1988 John Deere 165 Hydro, This was given to me by a Commander at Waco Police Department. It had some serious wiring problems but over all was in good shape. We did a complete teardown, and frame up restore which took about nine months. This was also the first "Green Machine" for me as all my previous restores were Sears or AYP's with a Ford thrown in.

Haven't mowed yet, but did ride it to town for a maiden voyage and had a fun trip.

Oh, and have a Great New Year!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1180181.JPG
  • P1180486.jpg
  • P1170609.jpg
  • P1170976.JPG
  • P1170987.JPG

Edited by larrybl, January 01, 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• Alc, jd.rasentrac, case1man and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,983 Thanks
  • 28,939 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 12:54 PM

How about "Little John" http://gardentractor...tle-john/page-1 Logan wants to enter it. It is all original, down to the dealer tag.

1988 John Deere 165 Hydro, This was given to me by a Commander at Waco Police Department. It had some serious wiring problems but over all was in good shape. We did a complete teardown, and frame up restore which took about nine months. This was also the first "Green Machine" for me as all my previous restores were Sears or AYP's with a Ford thrown in.

Haven't mowed yet, but did ride it to town for a maiden voyage and had a fun trip.

Oh, and have a Great New Year!

Larry, wast LJ repainted?
  • larrybl and Gtractor have said thanks

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,383 Thanks
  • 2,452 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 01:06 PM

Happy New Year and thank you for starting the year off right! I once owned a JD 165...a great tractor! Mowed golf course smooth, it had no problem pushing snow or dirt with the dozer blade.
  • larrybl said thank you

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,162 Thanks
  • 3,461 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 01:40 PM

Larry, wast LJ repainted?          Yes, completely. Restore started on May 03, 2016, completed November 10, 2016.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,983 Thanks
  • 28,939 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Larry, wast LJ repainted?          Yes, completely. Restore started on May 03, 2016, completed November 10, 2016.

Reason I ask is that this month's theme is Original. As in unrestored survivor level condition.
Historically, if we don't get enough Theme tractors, we open it up to no theme.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#7 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,162 Thanks
  • 3,461 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 02:28 PM

OK, I mis-understood the theme.

#8 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • Member No: 54135
  • 534 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted January 01, 2017 - 06:41 PM

I'd try with my SS10 but will pass after two attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • propane1 said thank you

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,908 Thanks
  • 4,379 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 07:41 AM

I'd try with my SS10 but will pass after two attempts.

It doesn't cost anything but a little time to try. Both of yours have been close races. We need entries to make it interesting, otherwise we might as well give it up.

• ericjr16 and propane1 have said thanks

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 3,335 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Eric, I have been entering almost every month for almost three years.

Noel
  • DougT, KennyP and ericjr16 have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 29,410 Thanks
  • 40,401 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 05:37 PM

I entered a bunch of times before I won.

• ericjr16 and propane1 have said thanks

#12 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • 534 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys. Sorry about that post, feeling down at the time. A lot of personal issues of late, back as you know plus many others. No need to go there now. I have two machines that fit rules, the 1967 Sears Suburban 10, and Wheelhorse C-85. When on computer I'll enter one.

• olcowhand, DH1, DougT and 8 others have said thanks

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,189 Thanks
  • 1,180 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Would my MF12G be acceptable? It's all original paint in, under and out but the engine is not original.

DAC

• MH81, propane1, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#14 ericjr16 ONLINE  

ericjr16
  • 534 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Well here goes! I was traded my 1967 Sears Suburban 10 from a ex coworker. He wanted a John Deere 111 we restored and traded the SS10 and a RER Snapper for it! I got the better deal!!!  I was sent pictures of it and was told it hadn't run in some time. It came with a deck and mule drive I never used,  they are behind shed now. The machine came with a painted stack which in time I swapped to a stock type muffler to save wear and tear on exhaust threads. It also had a horn added I later removed for toggle switch for new ignition system. We got in trade a SS12 one time and I kept the hupcaps for mine!

DSC04760.JPG

DSC04761.JPG

DSC04764.JPG

DSC04771.JPG

Dad got it running and I was going to sell it. My forum friends taught me how foolish that would have been! I decided to keep it. So happy I did! Over time we acquired the rear weights for it. My friend Bob gave us a three point hitch as well as rear plow. I use those for added weight and ice channel carving in winter and drainage ditch making in summer. The dirt plow sure works great for last clean up of snow in winter after the blowers are done. The blowers are set a little high due to gravel driveways.

As far as I am aware the paint is original and only mods were nice foot rests made by a caring owner in past. The only things we have done are carb clean, new head gasket as after a year could  see it blowing out side. At same time we changed the points and condenser due to failing starts and stalling. Then we added auto coil type ignition I learned of on forum. Sure made difference in cold starts. I use it for plowing every snow storm. It sits more than it should in summer, but gets called to duty with dirt work.

My Wheel Horse is also all original but only one can be nominated.  

DSCN8051.JPG

DSCN8061.JPG

DSCN8064.JPG

DSCN8307.JPG

Edited by ericjr16, January 03, 2017 - 08:07 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#15 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,115 Thanks
  • 2,878 posts

Posted January 04, 2017 - 12:29 PM

I put forth for your consideration my 1960/63 Homelite Garden trac,IMG_1738.JPG IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1739.JPG IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1743.JPG this tractor is all original and came with a deck, snow blower and blade. It also came with turf tires and rims I believe all the tires to be original . This tractor was found in south Jersey farm country. I am now the second owner of this 56 year old machine. The implements saw very limited use as can be seen in the pics, the blower still has a paper tag stuck to the inside I don't think it was ever used. Thanks to my good friend and GTTalk member jabelman for pointing me at it, I was able to purchase this great running piece of history.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks