• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • Member No: 9859
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 05:40 PM

The pic you have of the cam in the block, what are the things on the cam called that are on it. they look like they have a pin holding on a 1/4 moon shape piece of metal that looks like they can retard or advance the cam a little?

#17 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 5,606 Thanks
  • 3,671 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 05:57 PM

I think that is the compression release, allows for easier starting.

#18 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,738 Thanks
  • 1,388 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 06:29 PM

The pic you have of the cam in the block, what are the things on the cam called that are on it. they look like they have a pin holding on a 1/4 moon shape piece of metal that looks like they can retard or advance the cam a little?

That is the compression release. The cam timing is fixed. As others have said, there's usually a shim on the end of a camshaft to prevent the walking. It's tough to see and easy to lose if you remove the cam. Likes to stick in places due to the oil on it. If someone failed to reinstall that after removing a cam, that can also cause a rattle. I've noticed most engines designated for quiet line tractors ie: Deere 200/300, Cub 1250, 1450 etc seem to always have balance gears. I removed a set from a k341 in a Deere 300. It hit a little harder at lower rpm but was fine once set at a working rpm. Also, when assembling the engine, there are paper shims used under the bearing plate for crankshaft end play.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#19 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 02, 2017 - 05:00 PM

talked to the guy who put the piston and valves in for me, he said that he never took the cam out so what i was thinking was take it back apart one more time, take the balance gears out measure the cam,crank and check the valves to make sure everything was done right.aftermarket parts seem to be lacking some what in my thinking. also a friend told me to check piston to head clearance. does that sound right to you guys.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#20 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 03, 2017 - 07:27 PM

well found the reason why it was knocking the crank is out of round and he put an original size piston rod in it which made it too big on top and bottom and just right on sides. now i have to find another crank or have this one turned down to make it round again. hard to find anyone who can do this in my area so prob find another one somewhere also when i took the piston out the was no markings on rings to tell which way they go but i did find oil on the top of the piston when removed head, My guess is he didn't know how they went either, but i put top slant outside on the top ring, slant up and the double bev on outside on second second ring, bev on inside down I don't know if this is right either no instructions to go by, none of them said top or bottom or had any dots on them so took a guess . When i find another crank will let you guys know more.

• Mark 149 J. and pryan05 have said thanks

#21 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 11, 2017 - 12:39 AM

I am proud to say I found a Crank today for my k341 16hp  put it in also found out how to install the rings the right way. Got it put back together tonight was to tired to put it on the tractor to see if runs good will try to get it on tomorrow and let you guys know how it went wish me luck on this one  :biting_nails:

If this don't work i'll have to weight until i find another motor somewhere, if there's any more k341 16hp motors out there to be had. There none around where i live so moving may be a option don't know how the WIFE will feel about that  :flamethrower:

Edited by Bill2, January 11, 2017 - 12:48 AM.

• KennyP and pryan05 have said thanks

#22 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 12, 2017 - 09:35 PM

Well got it running so must have done something right  :D ..   Got some work to do on the carb been sitting to long got gummed up I'm guessing. I let it run for about an hour, seems to do pretty good except for carb. am as happy as i can be, hoping it will last for a long time. Thanks everyone for your help and as soon as I can I'll get some pics for you....    Thanks again :worshippy1:

• KennyP, Rock farmer and pryan05 have said thanks