sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 3,360 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 09:36 PM

Needing some guidance. This is a solid state HH100 Tecumseh motor. I have seen it run on video. Brought it home, put a good battery in it, turned the key and nothing. Motor is not stuck. I have checked continuity on the switch and on first click nothing....when i turn it over to "start" it there is continuity. This is an Indak switch and it only has 3 wires going to a 5 terminal. The 3 terminals being used are battery, starter and magneto. The empty terminals are "A" auxillary and  "R" regulator.
How do I check that power is getting to the starter?? Yes I am still a novice when it comes to electrics.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by sacsr, December 30, 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Be careful with that switch make sure you are not sending 12v to the stator or you will burn up the solid state. The middle wire on the plug that comes out of the blower housing. Goes to the M on a 5 prong switch to ground the stator when key is off. The other two go to the voltage regulator. To the key. Meter the selnoid to see where you are losing your power. One side will have power with key off. Both sides should have it with key on start. Does your selinoid have two small wires or one?

Edited by Tecumseh power, December 29, 2016 - 10:44 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 10:46 PM

If no power on both sides with key on start position, check that power is getting to the selnoid by metering the little exciter wire that goes from the key down to it.
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 3,360 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I will check the soliniod in the morning, not sure on the wiring. I know the solid state ignitions can be fatal if not handled properly, so I am being really careful not to damage it. I tested the switch off the tractor just to make sure I did not damage anything.
  • Tecumseh power said thank you

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 29, 2016 - 10:51 PM

The switches for points type ignition send power to the coil. You can't use them kind on a solid state. Just make sure you aren't sending any power to the soil state . Check that selinoid see what happens make sure it has a good ground too
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 1,184 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 12:55 AM

Recommend you check the manuals section for your engine and or tractor manual. Don

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 3,360 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Here is the wiring diagram for the D4-10 HH100 on this tractor. There is a difference in how the HH120 BH D4-12 is wired and this one. On the HH100 the M wire goes from the switch to the cowling on the motor. I see there is another wire that is attached to this junction point coming out from underneath the cowling. There is only a two wire harness coming from out of the motor back to the regulator. On the 120 the M wire is part of the harness (3 wires) that goes into the motor. On the 100 the "R" post on the switch is empty, on the 120 the "R" post on the switch goes to the Ammeter.

I am assuming my next move is to hook the battery back up and do 1- turn the switch to "s" and test to the wire at the starter for current? Since it is not even turning over at this point, this seems to be the next step. Just don't want to mess up!!!

TecumsehHH100D4-10wiringdiagram.jpg

Edited by sacsr, December 30, 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#8 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 307 Thanks
  • 291 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 01:05 PM

For Tecumseh engines without points (solid state ignition) the ignition switch must be a magneto type of switch. In the wiring diagram you show, the ignition switch "M" must go to ground out the "kill" terminal of the solid state module to kill spark. The HH120 I have has a 3 position plug that comes from behind the flywheel.. The 2 outside wires in this plug are the AC from the stator to a rectifier / regulator for charging. The middle wire in that plug is the wire that kills the spark when grounded through the ignition switch in off position ("M" terminal). The switch "M" terminal must show 0 ohms resistance to ground when the switch is off and infinite ohms resistance when the switch is in any other position.There should never be battery voltage on the "M" terminal. The HH100 with solid state ignition (no charging stator) has a single wire that goes to the solid state coil under the blower housing to kill spark. The "B" position on the switch should have +12 volts all the time, the "S" terminal should  have +12 volts only when the switch is in the start position. That's the wire that goes to the start solenoid.Check your switch to be sure you have the correct contact arrangement.

• Bolens 1000 and sacsr have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 01:49 PM

I would direct conect the starter term from battery first. Power the starter direct. Just touching it, so it won't stay running I mean. OR, go back to selinoid and touch the wire going to the starter off it with live battery, not the one in tractor. Or, using jumpers off battery could be one in tractor too, I suppose. Shorter jumper wires are best, too long makes problems too.  Can also put the power to the selinoid on the battery feed side, then jump from that to the small terminal to see it it clicks or starts turning. If all this works OK, then problem in wires or switch most likely.

• sacsr said thank you

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,144 Thanks
  • 5,524 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 02:31 PM

Looks like you have no starter solenoid and the high current key switch.  

I'd try connecting the starter to the battery positive, direct with a booster cable, just touch the starter with the end of the cable see if it cranks.

The M terminal/wire should be grounded by the key when in off position. It connects to a screw on the engine cover that is not grounded but goes to the SSI unit.  No battery voltage on this wire.

• sacsr said thank you

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 3,360 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Cleaned the connections- hit the starter with a jump start battery pack which I am starting to think it may have been stuck- she fired up!
  • olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 3,360 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 04:20 PM

6301bf93e92cf970c5ea0e05a029f723.jpgf7ad17d8706c9cdee2c41b06e1b0b4c1.jpg

My helper
  • olcowhand, DH1, LPBolens and 5 others have said thanks

#13 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,987 Thanks
  • 5,036 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Looking good Scott. Always nice to have a willing helper!
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Glad you got her going!
  • sacsr said thank you

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted December 30, 2016 - 08:13 PM

This have the selinoid?  My Speedex had big cables and juice running thru the key switch on some. Smoke got out easy on those after setting out in world. I set-up a selinoid system on them, heck with that set-up! Much better.